Paradoxurus is a genus within the viverrid family that was denominated and first described by Frédéric Cuvier in 1822. As of 2005, this genus is defined as comprising three species native to Southeast Asia:
- the Asian palm civet (P. hermaphroditus)
- the golden palm civet (P. zeylonensis)
- the brown palm civet (P. jerdoni)
In 2009, it was proposed to also include the golden wet-zone palm civet (P. aureus), the Sri Lankan brown palm civet (P. montanus) and the golden dry-zone palm civet (P. stenocephalus), which are endemic to Sri Lanka.
Paradoxurus species have a broad head, a narrow muzzle with a large rhinarium that is deeply sulcate in the middle, and prominent angles above anteriorly. The large ears are rounded at the tip, the interior ridges and bursae are well developed, the posterior flap of the latter rising behind the edge of the pinna, and the anterior flap is deeply emarginated. The skull exhibits marked muscular moulding, notably in the postorbital area, which is deeply constricted a short distance behind the well-developed postorbital processes, and is considerably narrower than the interorbital area and than the muzzle above the canines. The dental formula is 188.8.131.52. The palate is not produced behind to cover the anterior half of the mesopterygoid fossa, and is flat and expanded between the posterior cheek teeth. The tail is nearly as long as the head and body, sometimes quite as long, and about six times as long as the hind foot.
- Wozencraft, W.C. (2005). "Order Carnivora". In Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M. Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. 550–551. ISBN 978-0-8018-8221-0. OCLC 62265494.
- Cuvier, F. (1822). Du genre Paradoxure et de deux espèces nouvelles qui s’y rapportent. Mémoires du Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle Paris 9: 41–48.
- Groves, C. P., Rajapaksha, C., Mamemandra-Arachchi, K. (2009). "The taxonomy of the endemic golden palm civet of Sri Lanka" (PDF). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 155: 238–251. doi:10.1111/j.1096-3642.2008.00451.x.
- Pocock, R. I. (1939). The fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma. Mammalia. – Volume 1. Taylor and Francis, London. Pp. 379–415.
Media related to Paradoxurus at Wikimedia Commons