|(unranked):|| clade Heterobranchia|
Panpulmonata was established as a new taxon by Jörger et al. in October 2010.
The older name "Pulmonata" referred to a group of gastropods which were considered to be "air-breathers". This meaning certainly does not apply to the panpulmonate groups Acochlidia, Sacoglossa and Pyramidelloidea, and also was inaccurate when applied to some of the more traditional pulmonate taxa such as Siphonarioidea or Hygrophila, most members of which lack permanently air-filled lungs. However, the term Panpulmonata was chosen by Jörger et al. (2010) to provide some continuity in the terminology. Panpulmonata consists of following taxa:
- Acochlidiacea (mentioned as Acochlidia)
- Eupulmonata: Stylommatophora, Systellommatophora, Ellobioidea, Otinoidea, Trimusculoidea.
This cladogram shows phylogenic relations within the Heterobranchia, as proposed by Jörger et al. (2010):
- Changes in the taxonomy of gastropods since 2005#Heterobranchia
- Heterobranchia#2010 taxonomy
- Acochlidiacea#2010 taxonomy