576i (SDTV 16:9, 4:3)|
|Formerly called||SuperSport (1994–2008)|
Nova Sports 24HD: Channel 112|
NovaSports 1HD: Channel 300
NovaSports 2HD: Channel 301
NovaSports 3HD: Channel 304
NovaSports 4HD: Channel 305
NovaSports 5HD: Channel 308
NovaSports 1: Channel 201|
NovaSports 2: Channel 202
NovaSports 3: Channel 203
NovaSports 4: Channel 204
NovaSports 6: Channel 206
NovaSports 7: Channel 207
Nova Sports is a premium Sports service in Greece and is owned by Forthnet Group, a subsidiary of Greek Telecommunications company Forthnet. It launched in 1994 as Supersport and at the time was the first ever premium sports service in Greece. It is available exclusively on Nova, a DTH satellite service. Nova Sports is available terrestrially and via satellite only on Nova.
Nova Sports covers most major national and international sports, such as first division soccer and basketball, soccer from the top leagues in Europe and around the world (England, Euroleague basketball, American College basketball, exclusive coverage of the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and English League Cup and extensive Euro and World Cup qualifiers. Nova Sports also broadcasts other sports such as Auto racing, volleyball, bowling, billiards, table tennis, Sailing, X-Games, Six Nations Rugby, martial arts tournaments, WWE programms such as WWE Raw and more. Nova Sports also features extensive Tennis coverage including Live coverage of all 4 Grand Slams as well as the Tennis Masters Series.
Nova Sports 1 broadcasts over the air together with Disney XD (children's channel) [they share the same frequency, Disney XD during the day, Nova Sports 1 at night] and Nova Cinema 1. A decoder is required in order to receive the services as well as a monthly fee. Repeaters have been set up across the country that enable more than 77% of the population to receive these services. The multiplex channels (Nova Sports 2–7) are available only through Nova.
From 1994 until 1 June 2008, Nova Sports was known as SuperSport.
The SuperSport brand is still prevalent in South Africa as the name is used there by DStv which is a satellite television provider owned by MultiChoice South Africa, the previous owners of Greece's SuperSport as well.
Some events shown on Nova Sports are still taken directly from SuperSport (South Africa) broadcast feeds, complete with SuperSport logos and on-screen promotions. These normally include Golf and Rugby Union matches, and occasionally result in the second audio feed, which usually broadcasts English alongside Greek, broadcasting commentary in Afrikaans.
Channels and content
Nova Sports operates six multiplex channels:
- Nova Sports 24 HD: News, scores and highlights all the time, 24/7 in HD. (Channel not available on Nova Cyprus)
- Nova Sports 1 HD: Live matches from Super League, French Ligue 1 and various European leagues; Also airs EuroLeague basketball, sports programs and talkshows
- Nova Sports 2 HD: Features wall to wall soccer action from German DFB Pokal Cup, UEFA Cup, as well as matches from various leagues across Europe
- Nova Sports 3 HD: Basketball channel (League, EuroLeague), also includes soccer, volleyball, auto racing & extreme sports
- Nova Sports 4 HD: Special events channel (Tennis, rugby, golf, handball, horseracing, boxing, cricket and more)
- Nova Sports 5 HD: New channel launched on August 2016. Matches from various leagues (Ligue 1, EuroLeague basketball etc)
- Basket Time - Basketball news, scores and highlights from and abroad.
- Champions Zone - News and reports from the world of sports.
- Bala d'air - Call-in show where viewers express their thoughts and opinions.
- Super Goal - Scores and highlights from and international soccer.
- NovaSport Drive - All the news from the world of motorsports, including analyses, interviews and test-drives of all the newest models.
- Tathe Efi - One on one interview with personalities from the world of politics, culture, the arts and sport.
- Time of the Champions - Sports news and highlights.
- European leagues
- Ligue 1
- Primeira Liga
- Coppa Italia
- FA Cup
- Copa del Rey (only the final)
- FA Community Shield
- Supercoppa Italiana
- Supercopa de España
- Greek Water Polo League (matches of Olympiacos & Panathinaikos).
- A1 Ethniki Women's Water Polo (matches of Olympiacos)
- Official Site (Greek)