Cover of New Game! volume 1 by Hōbunsha featuring the character Aoba Suzukaze
|Written by||Shōtarō Tokunō|
|Magazine||Manga Time Kirara Carat|
|Original run||January 28, 2013 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Yoshiyuki Fujiwara|
|Written by||Fumihiko Shimo|
|Music by||Hajime Hyakkoku|
|Network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, TVA, MBS, BS11|
|Original run||July 4, 2016 – September 19, 2016|
|New Game! The Challenge Stage|
|Platform||PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita|
New Game! (ニューゲーム Nyū Gēmu) is a Japanese four-panel manga series by Shōtarō Tokunō, which began serialization in Houbunsha's seinen manga magazine Manga Time Kirara Carat from January 2013. An anime television series adaptation by Doga Kobo aired in Japan between July and September 2016. A video game developed by 5pb. will be released in January 2017.
Having been a strong fan of a particular video game when she was younger, Aoba Suzukaze, a high school graduate, begins working as a character designer at the game's developer, Eagle Jump. As she works on modelling and designing characters for games in development, she becomes acquainted with her fellow co-workers in the character design department, as well as those from across the company.
- Aoba Suzukaze (涼風 青葉 Suzukaze Aoba)
- Voiced by: Yūki Takada
- A high school graduate who joins the Eagle Jump games company as a character designer, as they made her favorite game. Due to her small stature, she is often mistaken for a middle school student.
- Kō Yagami (八神 コウ Yagami Kō)
- Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa
- The lead character designer of Eagle Jump. She spends a lot of time at the office, often sleeping there overnight in her underwear, and has a laid back but stern attitude. She was the character designer for the game that inspired Aoba to become one herself.
- Rin Tōyama (遠山 りん Tōyama Rin)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- An art director and head of the background department. She is close friends with Kō.
- Hifumi Takimoto (滝本 ひふみ Takimoto Hifumi)
- Voiced by: Megumi Yamaguchi
- A character designer. She is a bit shy talking to others and prefers to speak via e-mail. She has a pet hedgehog named Sōjirō and secretly enjoys cosplay.
- Yun Iijima (飯島 ゆん Iijima Yun)
- Voiced by: Ayumi Takeo
- A character designer who designs monsters and often dresses in gothic clothing. She has two younger siblings.
- Hajime Shinoda (篠田 はじめ Shinoda Hajime)
- Voiced by: Megumi Toda
- A motion designer who works in the character design department as there are no open seats in the animation department. She enjoys sentai shows and owns various prop weapons.
- Umiko Ahagon (阿波根 うみこ Ahagon Umiko)
- Voiced by: Chitose Morinaga
- A programmer who often gets annoyed when she has to fix errors and is embarrassed by her surname. She is a military fan and has several airsoft weapons in her workspace.
- Nene Sakura (桜 ねね Sakura Nene)
- Voiced by: Madoka Asahina
- Aoba's friend from high school who is currently in university. She temporarily joins Eagle Jump as a part-time debugger during the summer, developing an interest in programming.
- Shizuku Hazuki (葉月 しずく Hazuki Shizuku)
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
- A game director with a strong interest in cute girls, hence why her department is entirely female. She is often told off by Umiko for sneaking from her workstation and making impulsive changes to the game design. She owns a cat named Mozuku.
- Wako Christina Yamato (大和・クリスティーナ・和子 Yamato Kurisutīna Wako)
- A producer who works at a publishing company.
- Momiji Mochizuki (望月 紅葉 Mochizuki Momiji)
- A girl who joins Eagle Jump as a graphic artist during the story's second year.
- Tsubame Narumi (鳴海 ツバメ Narumi Tsubame)
- A girl who joins Eagle Jump as a programmer during the story's second year.
- Hotaru Hoshikawa (星川 ほたる Hoshikawa Hotaru)
- Aoba and Nene's friend from high school, who was part of their school's Art Club. She is a skilled artist but has a weak condition. She is currently studying at a fine arts college in order to become a professional illustrator.
- Chinatsu Hidaka (日高 ちなつ Hidaka Chinatsu)
- A teacher in Aoba and Nene's high school, who is good friends with Hotaru. Despite being an advisor for the Art Club, she has no drawing skills of her own and often prefers to play baseball.
The original manga by Shōtarō Tokunō began serialization in Houbunsha's Manga Time Kirara magazine from January 28, 2013. Houbunsha has published five tankōbon volumes between February 27, 2014 and July 27, 2016. The fifth volume, subtitled The Spinoff!, takes place prior to the main series and features content not included in the magazine serialization.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN|
|1||February 27, 2014||ISBN 978-4-832-24414-6|
|2||March 27, 2015||ISBN 978-4-8322-4546-4|
|3||January 27, 2016||ISBN 978-4-8322-4656-0|
|4||July 27, 2016||ISBN 978-4-8322-4720-8|
|5||July 27, 2016||ISBN 978-4-8322-4721-5|
A 12-episode anime television series adaptation aired in Japan between July 4 and September 19, 2016 and was simulcast by Crunchyroll. The anime is produced by Doga Kobo, with Yoshiyuki Fujiwara as the director and Fumihiko Shimo as the series' script supervisor, featuring character designs by Ai Kikuchi. An original video animation episode will be available for those who purchase all six Blu-Ray/DVD volumes of the series, released between September 28, 2016 and February 24, 2017. The opening and ending themes respectively are "Sakura Skip" (SAKURAスキップ Sakura Sukippu) and "Now Loading!!!", both performed by Fourfolium (Yūki Takada, Megumi Yamaguchi, Ayumi Takeo, and Megumi Toda).
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"It Actually Feels Like I Started My Job"|
"Nandaka Honto ni Nyūshashita Kibun desu!" (なんだかホントに入社した気分です！)
|July 4, 2016|
|Aoba Suzukaze, a high school graduate, begins her new job at the Eagle Jump video game company, where she is introduced to art director Rin Tōyama, lead character designer Kō Yagami, and game director Shizuku Hazuki. As Aoba learns how to make 3D models, she receives help from fellow character designer, Hifumi Sakamoto, who is shy talking in person but is quite casual talking online. Later, Aoba is invited out to lunch by monster designer Yun Iijima and animator Hajime Shinoda while Kō prepares her ID card. After work, Aoba learns that the game she'll be working on is a sequel to her favorite game, Fairies Story, which inspired her to become a character designer.|
|2||"So This is an Adult Drinking Party..."|
"Kore ga Otona no Nomikai..." (これが大人の飲み会......)
|July 11, 2016|
|After seeing pictures of Hifumi with her pet hedgehog Sōjirō, Aoba tries to help her smile more naturally. Shortly after Aoba begins her first job, creating NPC villager models for the game, the others take her out to a drinking party to celebrate her joining the team. As Aoba tries to deal with her co-workers being drunk, Hifumi has her order some alcohol, almost letting her drink some herself.|
|3||"What Happens If I'm Late to Work?"|
"Chikoku Shitara Dō Narun Darō" (遅刻したらどうなるんだろう)
|July 18, 2016|
|Aoba oversleeps and ends up running late to work alongside Yun. The two attempt to run from the train, but Aoba ends up falling on her face, prompting Kō to scold Aoba until she hears the full story. Afterwards, Aoba struggles with getting her villager model approved by Kō, having to retake it several times. As Aoba works late nights to try and get it up to standard, Rin tells her that her original attempt was technically good enough, theorising that Kō didn't want her to be satisfied with "just okay". After speaking with her friend from high school, Nene Sakura, Aoba realises the importance of making NPCs feel alive and manages to get her villager finally approved, only to learn that she'll have to make more villagers within shorter timespans.|
|4||"The First... Paycheck..."|
"Hajimete no... Okyūryō..." (初めての...お給料...)
|July 25, 2016|
|After missing the last train, Rin ends up spending the night at the office with Kō, discussing whether their game will succeed and trying out her unique style of sleeping. Later, Aoba receives her first paycheck, wondering what she should buy with it. After hearing what everyone else bought with their first paychecks, Aoba decides to buy a cake to share with her family as thanks for buying her suit.|
|5||"That's How Many Nights We Have to Stay Over?"|
"Sonna ni Tomarikomun desu ka?" (そんなに泊まり込むんですか？)
|August 1, 2016|
|Aoba and Hajime are sent on an errand to buy a replacement tablet pen, only for both parties to end up forgetting their wallets. The next day, Hajime and Ko end up having a secret war over the thermostat, with Yun also getting herself involved in the hopes of losing weight. Later, Aoba hears from Hifumi and Rin about what Ko used to be like.|
|6||"Like... The Release is Canceled?"|
"Hatsubai...Chūshi to ka?" (発売...中止とか?)
|August 8, 2016|
|After completing her quota of villager models, Aoba is given the task of designing an important NPC from scratch, unaware until the end that the character is based on herself. The next day, as everyone enjoys their weekend off, Aoba goes with Nene to watch a movie. Following a meeting, the team discover they are running behind schedule and will have to work overtime, with Aoba deciding to stay overnight with Ko to work on her model.|
|7||"Please Train the New Hires Properly"|
"Shinjin no Kyōiku wa Shikkarishite Kudasai" (新人の教育はしっかりしてください)
|August 15, 2016|
|Aoba gets complaints from programmer Umiko Ahagon about errors springing up from her NPC models. Feeling she was being too harsh, Umiko gives Aoba an empty shotgun shell and invites her and Ko to an airsoft shooting range. Later, the girls go to the hospital for a company checkup, where they are checked by a very nervous nurse.|
|8||"It's Summer Break!!"|
"Natsuyasumi daaa!!" (夏休みだああ!!)
|August 22, 2016|
|With her college on summer break, Nene takes up a part-time job at Eagle Jump as a debugger in Umiko's department. On her first day on the job, Nene tries to surprise Aoba only to get scolded by Umiko. Later, Nene becomes anxious when she inadvertantly eats Ko's pudding, becoming more nervous when Rin sends a company e-mail about the theft. The next day, Nene anonymously buys a replacement pudding while Rin, sensing Nene was responsible, resolves the situation without ratting her out. After work, Nene receives praise from Umiko for her debugging work.|
|9||"Do We Have To Come Into Work?"|
"Shukkinshicha Ikenain desu ka?" (出勤しちゃいけないんですか？)
|August 29, 2016|
|Rin comes down with a cold, so Ko decides to take her home and look after her. Meanwhile, Umiko hears from Nene and Aoba about how they are often worried about each other. Later, the character team decides to have a sleepover to get some extra work done, paying a visit to a public bathhouse in the middle of the night.|
|10||"Full-time Employment is a Loophole in the Law to Make Wages Lower..."|
"Seishain tte Okyūryō o Yasukusuru Tame no Hō no Nukeana..." (正社員ってお給料を安くするための法の抜け穴...)
|September 5, 2016|
|After they both end up bringing boxes of donuts to work, Aoba and Hifumi bring some over to Umiko's department, where they hear about Nene's accomplishments. Later, Nene's concerns about Aoba's health leads to the two arguing with each other. While trying to find a way to apologise, Nene sees all the hard work Aoba has been putting into her characters, after which the two manage to make up with each other.|
|11||"There Were Leaked Pictures of the Game on the Internet Yesterday!"|
"Rīku Gazō ga Kinō, Netto ni Detemashita yo!" (リーク画像が昨日, ネットに出てましたよ!)
|September 12, 2016|
|Ko sends Aoba, Hajime, and Yun to a games exhibition where Fairies Story 3 is being announced to the public. Upon seeing their work being praised by the attendees, the girls become more determined than ever to do their best at work. Later, Aoba's art gets chosen to be printed in a magazine while Ko reluctantly gets dressed up in cute clothes for an interview. On the night before the game's deadline, Nene finds a game-breaking bug close to the game's deadline, so Umiko sends her and Aoba to buy some energy drinks. With the game more or less complete, Nene has a tearful farewell with everyone as her part-time job comes to an end.|
|12||"One of My Dreams Came True!"|
"Hitotsu Yume ga Kanaimashita!" (一つ夢が叶いました!)
|September 19, 2016|
|The girls get together to buy their own special edition copies of Fairies Story 3 as it goes on sale. They soon panic when word of the plot spreads on the internet after Hajime and Nene inadvertently discuss some spoilers out loudly, though they soon discover it have come from those who have gotten advance copies. Later, at a wrap party is held for everyone who worked on the game, Ko becomes anxious when Hazuki approaches her about being the Art Director for the next project. Hazuki explains to Aoba that when Ko was the Art Director for Fairies Story 2, her strict demeanor led to a new hire quitting, which hit her pretty hard. Aoba then asks Ko to sign her game, expressing her gratitude for everything she's done for her and assuring her that she'll make a great Art Director.|
|OVA||"My First Time on a Company Vacation..."|
"Watashi, Shain Ryokō tte Hajimete nanode…" (私、社員旅行って初めてなので…)
- "Game Company Comedy Anime "NEW GAME!" Premiere Set for July 4". Crunchyroll. June 13, 2016. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "Yūki Takada, Yōko Hikasa, Ai Kayano Star in New Game! TV Anime". Anime News Network. March 27, 2016. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- "New Game!" (in Japanese). Houbunsha. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "New Game! The Spinoff" (in Japanese). Houbunsha. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Crunchyroll Adds B-Project, New Game!, Bananya, Hitori no Shita the outcast". Anime News Network. July 1, 2016. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "Product｜TVアニメ『New Game!』オフィシャルサイト" (in Japanese). Doga Kobo. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "'Engaged to the Unidentified' Team Animates 'New Game' Show at Doga Kobo". Anime News Network. January 23, 2016. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- "New Game! TV Anime's Blu-rays/DVDs to Offer Public Bath OVA". Anime News Network. September 14, 2016. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- "Story|TVアニメ『New Game!』オフィシャルサイト" (in Japanese). Doga Kobo. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "First Screens Of New Game! The Challenge Stage! Show Aoba, Hifumi, Kou, And Shizuku". Siliconera. July 20, 2016. Retrieved July 20, 2016.