Never Look Back (1952 film)
|Never Look Back|
|Directed by||Francis Searle|
|Produced by||Michael Carreras|
John Hunter |
|Music by||Temple Abady|
|Cinematography||Reginald H. Wyer|
|Edited by||John Ferris|
|Distributed by||Exclusive Films|
|26 May 1952|
Never Look Back is a 1952 British drama film directed by Francis Searle and starring Rosamund John, Hugh Sinclair and Guy Middleton. The screenplay concerns a newly appointed female barrister whose career is threatened by a former lover. It was made by Hammer Films at the Mancunian Studios in Manchester.
Anne Maitland is the King's Counsel who receives an unexpected late-night visit from ex-boyfriend Guy Ransome (Middleton). When Ransome is then accused of murdering his mistress on the same night, Anne takes on his defense. In a court battle against Nigel Stewart, a barrister who is madly in love with her, Maitland clears Ransome of murder by disclosing her earlier relationship with him, and that he was staying in her flat on the night of the crime. However, when it is discovered that Ransome did commit the murder, Maitland's reputation is in tatters. But this failure leaves her finally able to marry Nigel Stewart when he is no longer a professional threat.
- Rosamund John - Anne Maitland, K.C.
- Hugh Sinclair - Nigel Stewart
- Guy Middleton - Guy Ransome
- Henry Edwards - Geoffrey Whitcomb
- Terence Longdon - Alan Whitcomb
- John Warwick - Inspector Raynor
- Brenda De Banzie - Molly Wheeler
- Arthur Howard - Charles Vaughan
- Bruce Belfrage - The Judge
- Fanny Rowe - Liz
- H.S. Hills - Frank Lindsell
- Hélène Burls - Mrs. Brock
- Bill Shine - Willie
- June Mitchell - Secretary
- Barbara Shaw - Press Woman
- David Scase - Cameraman
- Norman Somers - Nigel Junior
TV Guide gave the film two out of four stars, and wrote, "the British legal system is invested with enough romantic drama to rival a soap opera in this intriguing thriller."
- "Never Look Back". BFI.
- "Never Look Back". RadioTimes.
- Chibnall & McFarlane p.80
- "Never-Look-Back - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com.
- "Never Look Back". TV Guide.
- Chibnall, Steve & McFarlane, Brian. The British 'B' Film. Palgrave MacMillan, 2009.