|The Jim Henson Hour episode|
|Directed by||Giles Foster|
|Original air date||1989|
Harry Dean Stanton plays an American Special Effects expert living in London, who is befriended by a young fan named Matt Banting (played by Kieran O'Brien). From Jim Henson's London-based Henson Associates, it was produced by Duncan Kenworthy and directed by Giles Foster.
The show aired as a standalone special in the UK. In the US, it aired as an episode of The Jim Henson Hour.
Jim Henson talks about the Creature Shop, showing one of the devils from The Storyteller as an example of what the Creature Shop can make. A puppet later used as The Predator on Dinosaurs can also be seen in a movie that Matt is watching. He then introduces the Monster Maker.
Teenager Matt Banting wants to work with a famous but eccentric creature/fx (special effects) man, but he gets more than he bargained for when one of the creatures, the giant dragon-like Ultragorgon takes Matt under his wing. Matt is forced to confront his inner monsters while working out his issues with his father.
- This episode was later re-aired as a stand-alone special without the framing introduction and closing, or The Jim Henson Hour title/logos.
- Michael Gambon as Ultragorgon (voice)
- Jonathan Coy as Teacher
- Matthew Scurfield as Vaughn
- Bill Moody as Reg
- Grant Bardsley as Ben
- Alison Steadman as Perriwinkle
- Amanda Dickinson as Mother
- George Costigan as Father
- Harry Dean Stanton as Chancey Bellow
- Kieran O'Brien as Matt Banting
Ultragorgon operated by Martin Anthony, Tony Ashton, Michael Bayliss, Marcus Clarke, Sue Dacre, David Greenaway, Brian Henson, and Christopher Leith.