Melon (online music service)
Type of site
LOEN Entertainment, Inc.|
(A subsidiary of Kakao Corp.)
Music in every moment, Melon|
(음악이 필요한 순간, 멜론)
As of October 2016|
131 (South Korea)
|Registration||required, for South Koreans only|
|Users||2.3 million (in South Korea alone, as of November 2013)|
History and information
Melon allows users to download or stream music over the internet, such as on mobile phones. The music can be played on mobile phones, digital audio players, portable media players and digital cameras. Users can also create their own ring tones.
The program to download and install the Melon service is available.
Users can enjoy features such as language and images on the desired song or album, SNS sharing, music listening, music video playback and download, mobile phone music transfer, and iTunes integration.
The Melon mobile application allows unlimited streaming and limited downloads available and albums to share with friends and can recommend services.
Recognitions and awards
Melon has garnered recognitions, for example:
- It became one of "Korea's Best 25 Apps" in the 2011 App Awards Korea.
- Recognized at the 2012 Trusted Brand Awards
- It won the "Grand Prize for Digital Contents" in the 2012 Korean Digital Management Innovation Awards.
- Recognized in the 2012 Korea Brand Power Index
- Ilgan Sports ranked MelOn as the 3rd most influential entity in the K-pop industry in a November 2013 poll in celebration of its 44th anniversary.
In 2010, Melon was launched by SK Telecom in Indonesia, in partnership with Telkom Indonesia. In 2016, Telkom Indonesia bought all the stake formerly owned by SK Telecom, followinng the SK Telecom's divestment from all MelOn businesses, thus made MelOn Indonesia become Indonesian company.
In 2013, Melon used the song White Lies by Max Frost as BGM.
Music Programs on TV
Melon is the main sponsor of the following music-related shows:
- The Music Trend (Inkigayo) (SBS, since 2010)
- Show! Music Core (MBC, since August 2014)
- Show Champion (MBC Music)
- You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook (KBS 2TV)
- Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend (KBS 2TV)
Melon Music Awards
Also in 2009, LOEN Entertainment launched the Melon Music Awards (MMA), an award-giving body dedicated to calculating digital sales and online votes to judge winners. It is now on its fifth year.
Songs with the most weeks at number one
- YB - It Must Have Been Love (2005)
- Kim Jong-kook - Lovely (2005)
- Big Bang - Last Farewell (2007)
- Girls' Generation - Gee (2009)
- Ivy - If You're Gonna Be Like This (2007)
- Wonder Girls - Tell Me (2007)
- Big Bang - Haru Haru (2008)
- Soyou & Junggigo - Some (2014)
- SG Wannabe - Crime and Punishment (2005)
- Buzz - Love From a Real Heart (2005)
- Gavy NJ Project Group - Love All (2006)
- Yangpa - Love... What Is It? (2007)
- F.T. Island - Love Sick (2007)
- Big Bang - Lies (2007)
- Wonder Girls - So Hot (2008)
- Baek Ji-young - Like Being Hit By a Bullet (2008)
- IU – You & I (2011)
- PSY – Gangnam Style (2012)
Artists with most weeks at number one
|Artist||Big Bang||IU||Wonder Girls||2NE1|
- "MelOn.com Site Information". Alexa Internet.
- "Terms: GENERAL". MelOn. LOEN Entertainment, Inc.
- Seung Si-yeon, Park Jong-geun (December 3, 2011). "Shin Won-soo, representing Korea's largest OMS, "MelOn"". JoongAng Ilbo.
- "Loen Entertainment launches Melon Mobile 4.0". Maeil Business Newspaper. August 30, 2016.
- "2011 App Awards Korea". MelOn. LOEN Entertainment, Inc.
- "2012 Trusted Brand Awards". MelOn. LOEN Entertainment, Inc.
- "2012 Korean Digital Management Innovation Awards". MelOn. LOEN Entertainment, Inc.
- "2012 Korea Brand Power Index". MelOn. LOEN Entertainment, Inc.
- jun2yng (November 3, 2013). "The Top 10 Most Influential Entities of K-Pop". Ilgan Sports via Soompi.
- "Melon Indonesia".