Market Place Mall
|Address||2000 North Neil Street|
|Management||General Growth Properties|
|No. of stores and services||100|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||1,040,000 sq ft (96,619 m2)|
The mall opened in 1975.
The shopping center acquired a Tuscany-themed Italian villa setting as part of a renovation and expansion project, completed in August 1999. This same renovation and expansion project brought the mall up to 1,000,000 sq ft (92,903 m2) of Gross leasable area.
In 2013, it was announced that Sears would be closing in 2014. Sears had operated in Champaign continuously since 1928, and opened its store at the mall in 1975. Dick's Sporting Goods and Field & Stream took over the space in October 2015.
- "Market Place Shopping Center: Center Information". General Growth Properties. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "Heartland Snapshot: Central Illinois". Heartland Real Estate Business. France Publications. May 2004. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Sicard, Allyson H. (1999-09-01). "Midwest Development Projects". Retail Traffic. Penton Media. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "Developers To Sustain Recent Development Pace". Retail Traffic. Penton Media. 1998-01-01. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Dodson, Don (25 October 2013). "Sears will close Champaign store in January". The News-Gazette. Retrieved 21 November 2013.