Made in Cardiff
|Made in Cardiff|
|Launched||15 October 2014|
|Owned by||Made Television|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
Local TV Macro Network:|
0.01% (September 2015 , BARB)
|Headquarters||Elgin House, St Mary's Street, Cardiff|
Made in Birmingham|
Made in Bristol
Made in Leeds
Made in Liverpool
Made in Tyne & Wear
|Virgin Media||Channel 159|
Made in Cardiff is a local television station serving Cardiff and surrounding areas. The station is owned and operated by Made Television Ltd and forms part of a group of six city-based TV stations. It broadcasts from studios and offices at Elgin House on St Mary's Street in Cardiff city centre.
In September 2012, the broadcast regulator OFCOM announced Made Television had been awarded a licence to broadcast the local TV service for the Cardiff area, serving a potential audience of 800,000 viewers, stretching from Merthyr Tydfil in the north to Bridgend in the west and Newport in the east. The licence was also contested by 'Cardiff Local TV', a group set up by the locally-based technology firm Cube Interactive.
Previously, a low-powered RSL station, Capital TV, broadcast to the Cardiff area from 2002 to 2009, when analogue transmissions ceased from the Wenvoe transmitter.
The station began broadcasting on Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media platforms at 8pm on Wednesday 15 October 2014, a week after the launch of sister station Made in Bristol. After three months on air, Made in Cardiff claimed a weekly audience of 104,000 viewers.
In July 2016, the channel reported it claimed a weekly audience of 160,000 viewers, including nearly 100,000 for its flagship news programme, #CardiffNews, and 70,000 for the nightly magazine show The Lowdown.
Made in Cardiff is required to broadcast 37 hours a week of first-run local programming.
The station's flagship programme is the twice-nightly news magazine, #CardiffNews, airing at 6pm and 9pm on weekdays with hour-long review programmes on Saturdays and Sundays. The main feature programme is the magazine show, The Lowdown, which airs at 7pm and 9.30pm on weeknights.
Other local non-news programmes produced by the channel include interview shows One2One and My Life in Ten Pictures, weekly sports magazine show Subs Bench, documentary series The Airport, comedy sketch show Boxfull and new music showcase Tramshed Sessions. Programmes produced by the other Made TV stations in Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool and Tyne & Wear also air on the channel along with acquired programming from other broadcasters, including local TV stations around the UK.
- Local TV: Made in Cardiff to be capital's new channel, BBC News, 19 September 2012
- Local TV: No bids for Swansea, but two for Cardiff, BBC News, 14 August 2012
- First Welsh local TV station prepares for launch, OFCOM, 15 October 2014
- Local TV channel Made in Cardiff releases strong maiden viewing figure numbers, WalesOnline, 14 January 2015
- Made in Cardiff to move up on Freeview, Made in Cardiff, 4 April 2016
- The manager of Cardiff's local TV channel has left – so it's going to be run from Bristol, WalesOnline, 20 February 2016
- Made in Cardiff gains ground, Broadcast Now, 15 July 2016
- Made in Cardiff springs forward with new line up, Made Television, 24 February 2016
- Cardiff's Local News, Made in Cardiff