Ladies Who Do
|Ladies Who Do|
|Directed by||C.M. Pennington-Richards|
|Written by||Michael Pertwee (script)|
Harry H. Corbett
|Music by||Ron Goodwin|
Mrs. Cragg (Peggy Mount) works as a charwoman (part-time domestic servant) for retired Colonel Whitforth (Robert Morley) and as a cleaner at an office block in London. It is whilst doing her office cleaning that she retrieves an unsmoked cigar as a gift for the Colonel and unwittingly wraps it in a scrap of paper discarded by a property financier named James Ryder (Harry H. Corbett).
On receiving his cigar, the Colonel discovers that the scrap of paper actually contains details of a City takeover bid and unscrupulously uses this insider information to make £5000 on the stock market, which he shares with Mrs. Cragg. This new-found wealth prompts the pair, together with three other ‘chars’ who are Mrs. Cragg's neighbours in Pitt Street, to form the company 'Ladezudu': a speculation syndicate headed by Whitforth with the ladies providing insider information collected from bins at their respective offices. All is going well until an ill-timed investment in Irish pigs wipes out all their capital as swine fever kills their stock.
It is then that Mrs. Cragg discovers that Ryder is planning the demolition and redevelopment of Pitt Street. As the bulldozers arrive and no assets to assist them, can the 'ladies who do' save their street and take on the City executives single-handedly?
- Peggy Mount as Mrs. Cragg
- Robert Morley as Colonel Whitforth
- Harry H. Corbett as James Ryder
- Miriam Karlin as Mrs. Higgins
- Avril Elgar as Emily Parish
- Dandy Nichols as Mrs. Merryweather
- Jon Pertwee as Sidney Tait
- Joan Benham as Miss Pinsent
- Ron Moody as Police Inspector
- Cardew Robinson as Police Driver
- Nigel Davenport as Mr. Strang
- Arthur Howard as Chauffeur
- John Laurie as Dr. MacGregor
- Graham Stark as Foreman
- Brian Rawlinson as Shop Steward
- Harry Fowler as Drill Operator
- Arthur Mullard as Mr. Merryweather
- Ed Devereaux as Mr. Gubbins
- Marianne Stone as Mrs. Gubbins
- Carol White as Sandra
- Barbara Mitchell as Rose
- Ernest Clark as Stockbroker
Ladies Who Do was released on DVD in the UK on 24 March 2008.