Kung Fu Jungle
|Kung Fu Jungle|
|Mandarin||Yī Gè Rén De Wǔ Lín|
|Cantonese||Yat1 Go3 Yan4 Dik1 Mou5 Lam4|
|Directed by||Teddy Chan|
|Produced by||Albert Lee|
|Music by||Peter Kam|
Cheung Ka-fai |
Emperor Motion Pictures
Sun Entertainment Culture
Beijing Silver Moon Productions
Heart & Soul Production
|Distributed by||Emperor Motion Pictures|
HK$200 million |
Kung Fu Jungle, also known as Kung Fu Killer and Last of the Best, is a 2014 Hong Kong-Chinese action thriller film directed by Teddy Chan and starring Donnie Yen, Wang Baoqiang, Charlie Yeung and Michelle Bai. The film premiered at the 58th BFI London Film Festival on 12 October 2014 and was later released theatrically on 30 October 2014 in Hong Kong and 31 October 2014 in China.
It is being released as Kung Fu Killer in the United Kingdom and United States. Being a critical success, it was nominated for numerous Hong Kong Film awards. On 19 April 2015, Kung Fu Jungle won the Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography, representing the 4th time Donnie Yen has won this coveted award.
Hahou Mo, a martial arts expert and police self-defense instructor (Donnie Yen) is incarcerated for involuntary manslaughter during a fight with an opponent. Three years later, a vicious killer (Wang Baoqiang) emerges and starts killing retired martial arts masters that Hahou knows. With his own personal agenda, Hahou reveals he knows the killer's next intended victims and offers to aid Inspector Luk Yuen-Sum (Charlie Young) in capturing the killer with his martial arts skills and knowledge in exchange for his freedom.
- Donnie Yen as Hahou Mo
- Wang Baoqiang as Fung Yu-Sau
- Charlie Young as Luk Yuen-Sum
- Michelle Bai as Sinn Ying
- Alex Fong as Chief Inspector Lam
- Louis Fan as Hung Yip
- Xing Yu as Tam King-Yiu
- David Chiang as Master Chan Pak-Kwong
- Yu Kang as Wong Chit
- Christie Chen as Shum Suet
- Deep Ng as Tai Yue
- Ji Huanbo as Big Guy
- Jessica Wong as Siu Man
- German Cheung as Fai
- Steve Chan as Duty Officer A
- Wong Wai-fai as Duty Officer B
- Bey Logan as K1 Kickboxer
- Teddy Chan as T.S.T. District Officer
- Chow Suk-wai as Identification Bureau Officer
- Andrew Lau as Y.M.T. District Officer
- Peter Kam as Superintendent
- Kirk Wong as Inmate
- Mang Hoi as Hunan Gangs Leader
- Alex Cheung as News Announcer
- Tony Leung Siu-hung as Correctional Officer A
- Lee Tat-chiu as Correctional Officer B
- Cheang Pou-soi as Prison Governor
- Raymond Chow as Food Stalls Diners
- Joe Cheung as Film Director
- Dion Lam as Coroner
- Kinson Tsang as Deputy Commissioner OPS
- Susan Chan as Reporter A
- Roy Szeto as Reporter B
- Derek Kwok as Chan Sir
- Yuen Bun as Siu Hok-nin
- Bruce Law as Truck Driver
- Billy Chan as Inmate
- Yan Hua as Correctional Officer C
Release and reception
The first teaser trailer was released on 20 July 2014. The final trailer was released on 4 September 2014, displaying its Hong Kong release date on 30 October 2014. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 71% score based on 17 reviews, with an average rating of 6.7/10.
- "'Kung Fu Jungle' sets date for premiere". Sina English. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- "YAT KU CHAN DIK MOU LAM (KUNG FU JUNGLE)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2015-01-17.
- "Donnie Yen's "Kung Fu Killer" Retitled to "Kung Fu Jungle"".
- "'Kung Fu Jungle' Premieres in London". Eyes In. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- "Full Trailer For Donnie Yen's KUNG FU JUNGLE Combines Intense Drama With Hard-hitting Action". Twitch Film. 2014-09-05. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- 华谊六部新片定档 甄子丹10月献《武林》. southcn.com (in Chinese). 2014-07-18. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "34th Hong Kong Film Awards - Nomination and Winner list". HKFAA. 19 April 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Donnie Yen In KUNG FU JUNGLE Teaser: Smile When You Say That". Twitch Film. 2014-07-21. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Kung Fu Killer (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 15 November 2016.