John Henson (puppeteer)
April 25, 1965|
February 14, 2014 48) (aged|
Saugerties, New York
|Cause of death||Heart attack|
(m. ?–2014; his death)
|Children||Katrina Henson (born 1999), Sydney Henson (born 2003)|
Jim Henson (1936–1990)|
Jane Henson (1934–2013)
Lisa Henson (born 1960)|
Cheryl Henson (born 1961)
Brian Henson (born 1963)
Heather Henson (born 1970)
John Henson was the son of puppeteers Jim Henson (1936-1990), best known as the creator of The Muppets, and Jane Henson (1934-2013), who assisted in the launch of the Muppets. He had four siblings: Brian Henson, Lisa Henson, Cheryl Henson, and Heather Henson.
John performed Muppet character Sweetums starting in 1991 following the death of Richard Hunt (who trained John Henson in performing Sweetums). The role has since been passed to different puppeteers, including David Rudman, Noel MacNeal, Rob Mills and Matt Vogel. Vogel officially assumed the role in 2009.
Henson died of a heart attack on February 14, 2014 at his home in Saugerties, New York after playing with his daughter in the snow. His family had a private funeral for him. He was cremated and his ashes were given to his family.
- Muppet Treasure Island - Sweetums
- Muppets from Space - Sweetums
- It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie - Sweetums
- The Muppets' Wizard of Oz - Sweetums as a Flying Monkey
- Muppets Party Cruise - Sweetums
- Muppet*Vision 3D - Sweetums (in-suit performer)
- The Muppet Show Live - Sweetums