Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (video game)
|Jimmy Neutron : Boy Genius|
|Developer(s)||AWE Games (PC), BigSky Interactive (PS2, NGC), Humansoft (GBA)|
Game Boy Advance
The game is a 3D adventure starring Jimmy Neutron and his robotic canine Goddard. In the game, the evil King Goobot has abducted some of Jimmy's friends, so Jimmy must begin an intergalactic quest to save them. While progressing through various locales inspired by the movie, players need to solve puzzles using an assortment of gadgets. Also included are various mini-games to play within an amusement park, as well as hidden movie clips, Rugrats and SpongeBob trailers, character bios, and movie trailers to be unlocked.
Played from a traditional third-person perspective, the game consists of five distinct regions linked together by a main hub. Once players decide on a region, they can enter a portal and then be whisked away to a 3D world. Among the environments players explore are Jimmy's House, an Asteroid Surface, an Asteroid Interior, Yolkus Prime, and Retroland Amusement Park. Each region spans multiple levels, with the goal in each being to find a number of key items and special prizes and a shrunken head. A secondary goal in some levels is to locate friends Carl Wheezer, Cindy Vortex, Rose, Nissa, and Zachary.
Enemies trying to prevent Jimmy from succeeding include giant ants and the blob-like Yokians, with villains Ooblar, Poultra, and King Goobot forming the boss encounters. Players can run, jump, kick, and use an assortment of inventions. Health can be replenished by finding slices of blueberry pie, extra lives are awarded for every ten neutrons found, and weapons include the Shrink Ray, Inflato Ray, and the Jimmy Bat. Three types of vehicles can also be used to traverse the levels, the Goddard Pogo, the Goddard Sled, and the Goddard Scooter.
The game disk includes a behind the scenes feature hosted by Nick Cannon, as well as footage from the movie, shorts, and trailers can be unlocked.
Metacritic gave the GameCube version of the game a score of 42 out of 100 based on four "Generally unfavorable reviews". Elsewhere, GameRankings gave it a score of 81.67% for the Game Boy Advance version, 69% for the PlayStation 2 version, and 40.57% for the GameCube version.
- House, Michael L. "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (GBA) - Overview". Allgame. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Marriott, Scott Alan. "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (GC) - Overview". Allgame. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Miller, Eden. "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (PC) - Review". Allgame. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Weiss, Brett Alan. "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (PS2) - Review". Allgame. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- CVG Staff (2002-04-01). "GBA Review: Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius". Computer and Video Games. Archived from the original on 2007-01-24. Retrieved 2013-12-23.
- Wiley, Patricia (2001-12-05). "Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius - GBA - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on 2009-01-19. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius". NGC Magazine. May 11, 2003.
- "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (GBA)". Nintendo Power. 149. October 2001.
- Kane, Brad (2003-02-24). "'Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius' (GCN) Review". X-Play. Archived from the original on 2003-02-22. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius for Game Boy Advance". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius for GameCube". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius for PlayStation 2". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius for GameCube Reviews". Metacritic.
- "Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-12-22.