Jake and the Never Land Pirates
|Jake and the Never Land Pirates|
|Also known as||''Captain Jake and the Never Land Pirates in the fourth season|
|Created by||Bobs Gannaway|
|Directed by||Howy Parkins|
|Composer(s)||Loren Hoskins, Kevin Hendrickson, Keith Horn|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||111 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Rob LaDuca|
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||Disney Junior|
|Original release||February 14, 2011 – present|
Jake and the Never Land Pirates (also known as Captain Jake and the Never Land Pirates in the fourth season and associated merchandise) is an Annie Award-winning musical and interactive American animated television series shown on Disney Junior. It is based on Disney's Peter Pan franchise, which in turn is based on the famous book and play by British author J. M. Barrie. It is the first Disney Junior original show following the switch from Playhouse Disney. It stars Sean Ryan Fox from Henry Danger, Megan Richie, Jadon Sand, David Arquette, Corey Burton, Jeff Bennett and Loren Hoskins. The title character Jake was previously voiced by Colin Ford, and then later by Cameron Boyce, and now Sean Ryan Fox, while Izzy was voiced for the first three seasons by Madison Pettis and Cubby was voiced by Jonathan Morgan Heit. The series is created by Disney veteran Bobs Gannaway, whose works include another Disney Junior series, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and films such as Secret of the Wings, The Pirate Fairy and Planes: Fire & Rescue.
The series focuses on a band of young pirates consisting of Jake, Izzy, Cubby and their parrot Skully, who continuously spend their days competing against Captain Hook and Mr. Smee for treasure. They are often accompanied by several characters including their living pirate ship, Bucky, and their mermaid friend, Marina.
At the American International Toy Fair in New York City, Disney announced a film based on the series, premiered on September 19, 2012, entitled Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Bucky's Great Race. The film was later downgraded to a special episode renamed Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Jake Saves Bucky.
The show revolves around a group of three children; Jake, Izzy and Cubby (two boys and a girl) who are pirates in Never Land, looking for treasure. Their main obstacles are Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, and Tick-Tock the Crocodile from Disney's Peter Pan franchise. Captain Hook usually sees Jake and his crew doing something fun and steals it from them, and Jake and his crew have to get it back. After they succeed, Jake and his crew count their gold doubloons (which they receive after solving puzzles, or "pirate problems") and put them in their treasure chest known as the "Team Treasure Chest".
The first season of the series followed more "playful" conflicts, such as Jake and the crew getting their basketball back from Captain Hook, or Jake and the crew taking back their stolen skateboard. The second season gave a larger scale to the adventure in the show, now having the characters find a lost city of gold, and an ancient pirate pyramid.
Almost every episode contains two eleven-minute animated segments, followed by a live-action song by the Never Land Pirate Band. The singing characters "Sharky" and "Bones" appear in both animated and live action forms.
- Voiced by: Colin Ford (Episodes 1–36, 38–40 and 56), Cameron Boyce (Episodes 37, 41–55 and 57–59), Sean Ryan Fox (Ep. 60–Season 4), Riley Thomas Stewart (understudy, Jake's Buccaneer Blast; Season 4–present)
- Jake is the protagonist of the series and leader of the Never Land Pirates. He is Captain Hook's main pirate rival. One of his catchphrases is "Yo ho, let's go!", and he is shown using a telescope and steering the ship in the opening.
- He wears a red bandanna and later covers it with a blue captain's hat. He consistently wears brown boots and white shirts. He wears blue pants and later black pants.
- He had a wooden sword called the Forever Sword (cut from the Forever Tree, which was given to him by Peter Pan. He has also briefly used a transformable Mega-Mecha Sword and golden Destiny Sword.
- As a captain he later uses a metal one called the Mighty Captain's Sword. It is able to cut through metal padlocks, heat up to cut through ice bars, shoot heat beams, and deflect cold or energy blasts. Both cutlasses have a crossguard on the hilt, but his newer metal sword has a larger pommel and no knuckle-bow on the side. Jake also acquires an invisibility ring, and has used Izzy's pixie dust to fly.
- Voiced by: Madison Pettis (Seasons 1–3 through Battle for the Book), Megan Richie (Jake's Buccaneer Blast,Season 4–present)
- Izzy is currently the only girl pirate in the main group and acts as second-in-command to Jake. She has a small sack of pixie dust, which was given to her at an unknown point by the fairies (Tinker Bell and her friends). The team uses the pixie dust only for emergencies. However, there had been episodes when pixie dust is not used at all especially in "No Returns". Her catchphrase is "Yay hey, no way!"
- Voiced by: Jonathan Morgan Heit (Season 1–3), Jadon Sand (Jake's Buccaneer Blast, Season 4–present)
- Cubby is the youngest of the group with his catchphrase, "Aww, coconuts!" He has the map of Never Land and is shown manning the crow's nest in the opening. Cubby is not a member of the "Lost Boys", despite the fact he physically resembles the Cubby of the group. Cubby's personality is rather timid and he is not very confident in himself. Sometimes, he can be clumsy, and is Jake's best friend.
- Voiced by: David Arquette (speaking) and Loren Hoskins (singing)
- Skully is a small, green parrot who acts like a guardian to the team. He is usually shown wearing a black bandanna with white skulls on it. He keeps a lookout for Captain Hook and Mr. Smee.
- Voiced by: Corey Burton
- Captain Hook is Never Land's resident pirate captain and Peter Pan's nemesis. Hook is commander of the galleon "The Jolly Roger". Legendary for his cruelty to his enemies as well as his own men, Captain Hook has trouble holding onto a permanent crew. In fact, at the moment, he only has three members of crew, the rest of his crew was never seen or appeared in the show. He speaks with an English accent.
- Voiced by: Jeff Bennett
- Mr. Smee is Captain Hook's first mate.
Sharky and Bones
- Voiced by: Loren Hoskins and Kevin Hendrickson (singing)/Jeff Bennett (speaking)
- Sharky and Bones are members of Captain Hook's pirate crew. They usually spend time performing musical numbers rather than advancing the plot, acting as troubadours. Live action versions appear at the end of the show and they perform an original song.
Marina the Mermaid
- Voiced by: Ariel Winter
- A young mermaid who lives in the ocean around Never Land with the rest of her people. Unlike some of her sisters, who tend to be snobbish, selfish, vain and downright cruel, Marina is sweet, gentle and kind to the young pirates. She often shows them the secrets of the Never Sea she finds. Marina and Izzy are very close friends, and may even be the same age. Marina also has a little sister named Stormy, and has a crush on Jake.
Tick-Tock the Crocodile
- Voiced by: Dee Bradley Baker
- The very same crocodile that devoured Captain Hook's left hand after Peter Pan cuts it off in a sword fight some years ago. Tick-Tock loved the taste of Captain Hook's hand so well that he has followed the Jolly Roger ever since, licking his chops as he imagines the rest of his meal. And he also swallowed an alarm clock that goes tick-tock to warn Captain Hook.
- Russi Taylor - Never Bird - A former sidekick of Captain Hook whom she soon betrays and joins forces with Jake and his crew.
- Loren Hoskins - Sandy the Starfish - Marina the Mermaid's singing pet starfish with the ability to heal with a special song.
- Tori Spelling - Pirate Princess Patricia - A legendary pirate who was cursed and shipwrecked in a hidden grotto but was later rescued by Jake and his crew.
- Lisa Loeb - Winger - Skully's close friend who reveals to be the princess of the Sky Bird Kingdom.
- Adam West - Wise Old Parrot - An aged scarlet macaw and ruler of the Sky Bird Kingdom.
- Sharon Osbourne - Mama Hook - Captain Hook's mother.
- Jane Kaczmarek - Red Jessica - A swashbuckling pirate with whom Captain Hook falls in love.
- Josh Duhamel - Captain Flynn - A pirate who became stranded on the Never Land desert with his ship The Barracuda but rescued by Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- Adam Wylie - Peter Pan - Captain Hook's nemesis and the leader of Never Land (specifically the "Lost Boys", who never appeared in the show). He has been mentioned numerous times throughout the series, and made an appearance in the special episodes "Peter Pan Returns", "Jake Saves Bucky", "Never Land Rescue" and "Battle for the Book".
- Mae Whitman - Tinker Bell (speaking and singing voice)
- Allisyn Ashley Arm - Stormy - Marina's lazy, yet, well-meaning younger sister. She may or may not have feelings for Cubby.
- Carol Kane - Sea Witch - An evil witch who wants to turn the Pirate Princess into gold, but when Izzy stops her, she later turns into a good witch.
- Tiffani Thiessen - Misty the Wonderful Witch - A good witch who tends to be the Pirate Princess' neighbor.
- Jerry O'Connell - Pip the Pirate Genie - A genie who used to resided in a ship-in-the-bottle.
- Rhys Darby - Percy the Penguin - A penguin who Jake and his crew help to get his group to their colony.
- Teri Hatcher - Beatrice Le Beak - A sneaky pirate who steals things from Captain Hook.
- Dee Bradley Baker - Various animals of Neverland
- Leigh-Allyn Baker - Queen Coralie - Mermaid ruler of Neptune City
- Jack McBrayer - Wander the Friendly Pirate Mummy
- Bill Farmer - Ghostly Bob
- Maia Mitchell - Wendy Darling - Wendy appears in "Battle for the Book".
- Elliot Reeve - John Darling - John appears in "Battle for the Book".
- Colby Mulgrew - Michael Darling - Michael appears in "Battle for the Book".
- Estelle Harris - Peg-Leg Peg appears in "Pirate Ghost Story".
- David Tennant - Dread, an evil genie.
- Malcolm MacDowell - Lord Fathom, an evil Merwizard.
- Mark Hamill - ShiverJack, a villainous sorcerer with ice-themed powers.
- Tony Hale - Dr. Undergear, a mad inventor.
- Christian Slater - The Grim Buccaneer, a shadowy and swift pirate.
The show's musical elements are handled by Loren Hoskins and Kevin Hendrickson, who were emailed by the show's creator Bobs Gannaway, asking if they would be interested in creating songs for the show. According to Hoskins, Gannaway "just wanted good music to listen to while he was writing the pilot". Gannaway searched "pirate music for kids" online and found his way to Captain Bogg and Salty, listening to their songs while working on the script. He introduced the band to Jay Stutler, vice president of music at Disney Television Animation. "We're in charge of creating every note of music for the show. We create the underscore. We sit in the studio and record the background music that comes in and out." The music for the show has been praised for being enjoyable for both the children, and the adult caretakers. A soundtrack, featuring songs from the show, was released September 20, 2011.
The series has received generally mixed reviews. A review in Variety called it "part video game, part interactive cartoon, part advertisement for 'Peter Pan' merchandise". The Los Angeles Times gave a mixed review of the show's portrayal of Captain Hook compared to the classic Peter Pan, stating that the character "has been laundered — reasonably enough, yet sadly as well — into a shell of his former self, too silly to be frightening, not even a decent bully, just a kind of (much) older boy who wants to steal your toys." Common Sense Media rated it "on" for ages 3 and older, praising the educational content, role models, and especially the messages of the show, and expressing only mild concern about the moderate violence. As the flagship of the newly launched Disney Junior channel, the series was rated the most-watched program among boys ages 2–5 during its first few weeks on the air, with 2.9 million viewers, including 1.1 million ages 2–5, and over 600,000 women ages 18–49 (presumed to be mothers and other caregivers). On July 27, the series was awarded #2 of the Best TV Shows 2011 list.
The character Jake has too received positive reviews. The character has been thought of as a "classic Disney character", lovable and entertaining addition. He has quickly become an icon at Disney's Hollywood Studios from the popular Disney Junior Live as well as being added on the park's entrance drawings. The atmosphere character can be seen at the Hollywood And Vine character breakfast and the Animation courtyard, while at Disney California Adventure, Jake can be found on Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood Land.
Awards and nominations
|Annie Award||Best Animated TV Production - Preschool||Won|
|Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a Voice-Over Role - Young Actor||Colin Ford||Won|
|Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Casting for an Animated Series or Special||Brian Mathias and Aaron Drown||Nominated|
|Outstanding Pre-School Children's Animated Program||Rob LaDuca, Bradley Bowlen and Mark Seidenberg||Nominated|
|Outstanding Casting for an Animated Series or Special||Abbie D'Andrea and Brian Mathias||Nominated|
|Outstanding Individual in Animation||Jairo Lizarazu - background layout designer||Won|
The series airs worldwide on Disney Junior. It premiered on May 6, 2011 in Canada, on May 7, 2011 in the United Kingdom and Ireland, on May 29, 2011 in Australia and New Zealand, on June 1, 2011 in South Africa, on July 4, 2011 in India, on July 11, 2011 in Southeast Asia, and on April 29, 2013 in Zimbabwe.
Upon the initial release of the series onwards, there has been a high demand for toys, games, and other merchandise from the show. At the American International Toy Fair in New York City, Disney announced a line of toys to be released in the summer of 2012.
- Big Air Adventure a 5-series crossover of title characters from Doc McStuffins, Henry Hugglemonster, Miles from Tomorrowland, and Sofia the First
- Bucky's Never Sea Hunt
- Cave of Mystery
- Go Bananas
- Golden Pirate Pumpkin Patch
- Hook Yer Pirate Name
- Hook's Merry Winter Treasure Hunt
- Izzy's Flying Adventure
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates Sand Pirates
- Never Land Games
- Shadow Shenanigans
- Sharky and Bones Pirate Rock
- Super Pirate Powers
- The Great Pirate Pyramid
- Rainbow Wand Color Quest
The third spin-off, Mama Hook Knows Best! premiered on September 29, 2013, starring Sharon Osbourne as Mama Hook.
The fourth spin-off entitled, Jake's Buccaneer Blast premiered on October 26, 2014, as the first Lego Duplo adventure.
- "Captain Jake and the Never Land Pirates Figure Play Set".
- 'Jake and the Never Land Pirates' Season Three to Debut January 3 on Disney Channel
- 'Sofia the First', 'Doc McStuffins' and 'Jake and the Never Land Pirates' Renewed By Disney Channel
- "The Sword and the Stone". Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- "Jake's Mega-Mecha Sword". Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- "Never Land Rescue". Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- "Interview with Sharky and Bones from the Never Land Pirate Band - interview for Moms and Dads". YouTube. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Rob Owen, Special to The Oregonian. "Two Portland performers provide music for Disney's 'Jake and the Never Land Pirates'". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Jake & The Never Land Pirates: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Jake and the Neverland Pirates Coming to DVD and CD this Fall". The Mom Maven. 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Brian Lowry (February 15, 2011). "Jake and the Never Land Pirates". Variety. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Robert Lloyd (February 15, 2011). "Television review: 'Jake and the Never Land Pirates'". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Jake and the Never Land Pirates". Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Disney press release (2011-04-13). "Jake and the Never Land Pirates Hit Series Highs on April 9". Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Best TV Shows 2011". Screenjunkies.com. 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Jake's Never Land Pirate School on the App Store on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Jake & the Never Land Pirates: Peter Pan Returns (Two-Disc DVD + Digital Copy Combo): Jake & The Never Land Pirates: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Jake and the Never Land Pirates Products | Disney Movies". Disneydvd.disney.go.com. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Brown, Sophie (2012-07-27). "GeekMom Exclusive: Jake and the Neverland Pirates New Primetime Special | GeekMom". Wired.com. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Kitchen Table: Tune into Disney Channel for Jake and The Never Land Pirates". Kitchentable4.com. 2012-11-21. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Official website
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates at the Internet Movie Database
- Jake And The Never Land Pirates at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Disney Channel information on Jake and the Never Land Pirates
|Disney Junior Shows
| Succeeded by|
Babar and the Adventures of Badou