If We Hold on Together
|"If We Hold on Together"|
|Single by Diana Ross|
|from the album The Land Before Time and The Force Behind the Power|
|Released||January 21, 1989|
"If We Hold on Together" is the theme song to the 1988 film The Land Before Time, and is performed by Diana Ross. Played during the film's ending credits, it was released on the film's soundtrack as well as the Ross album The Force Behind the Power. The song was co-written by James Horner, Barry Mann and Will Jennings. Released as a single it reached the top 30 on the US adult contemporary chart, as well as giving Ross her biggest hit ever in Japan (#1) and later reaching #11 in the UK.
"If We Hold on Together" was covered by Anndi McAfee and Aria Curzon, the voices of Cera and Ducky in The Land Before Time series since the fifth film, for The Land Before Time: Sing-Along Songs in 1997.
Bustle preferred it to "My Heart Will Go On", writing "It's shamelessly sappy, but it perfectly suits the dinosaur tearjerker it appears in." Rotoscopers said it was the "cherry on top to this great musical score from James Horner." The site also said it "brings forth the same endearing qualities as “Somewhere Out There” from An American Tail." Entertainment Weekly said that the only reason the song wasn't included in their The 10 greatest songs from (non-Disney!) animated musicals was because they chose not to include non-diegetic.
- Diana Ross - vocals
- Lee Sklar - bass
- Russ Kunkel - drums
- Waddy Watchel - guitar
- Guy Moon, Randy Kerber - keyboards
- Kate Markowitz, Valerie Carter - backing vocals
- Michael Fisher - percussion
|Chart (1993)||Peak position|
- "Bustle". bustle.com.
- "A Musical-Countdown Tribute to James Horner". Rotoscopers.
- "Remembering James Horner". Rotoscopers.
- "'Prince of Egypt' anniversary: The 10 best animated (non-Disney) songs". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com.
- "If We Hold on Together". Dutchcharts. 1993. Retrieved 27 August 2016.