iHeartRadio Music Awards
|iHeartRadio Music Awards|
|2016 iHeartRadio Music Awards|
Logo of the third ceremony
|Awarded for||Outstanding performances in the record industry|
iHeartRadio Music Awards is a music awards show founded by iHeartRadio in 2014 to recognize the most popular artists and music over the past year as determined by the network's listeners. It rewards the music that was heard throughout the year across iHeartMedia radio stations nationwide and on iHeartRadio digital music platform. The inaugural edition was held on May 1, 2014 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, and was broadcast live on NBC. The third edition was held on April 3, 2016 and aired on TBS, TNT and truTV. The trophy is manufactured by the New York firm Society Awards.
The nominations are based on results from the iHeartRadio Chart. It includes listener feedback and performance data, according to airplay; digital streaming data from the iHeartRadio platform, including sales, social, online video data and tags from BigChampagne and Shazam. The iHeartRadio Countdown, the two-hour weekly program, highlights the top 20 contemporary hit radio songs in the iHeartRadio Chart. The latter is supplied and compiled by Mediabase. In addition, every public-voting category (seven in 2016), includes social hashtags as the primary voting mechanism.
List of ceremonies
|Year||Date||Venue||Host city||Host||Multiple wins||Ref.|
|2014||May 1||Shrine Auditorium||Los Angeles||N/A|| Rihanna
|2015||March 29||Jamie Foxx|| Taylor Swift
|2016||April 3||The Forum||Inglewood||Jason Derulo|| Taylor Swift
The major category Artist of the Year (won by Rihanna in 2014 and Taylor Swift in 2015) was replaced by the categories Female Artist of the Year and Male Artist of the Year in 2016. Social media-driven categories are indicated with a double dagger ().
Current award categories
iHeartRadio Innovator Award
Past award categories
Artist with multiple wins and nominations
Most Wins (as of 2016)
|Artist||Taylor Swift||Rihanna|| Calvin Harris|
Twenty One Pilots
Most Nominations (as of 2016)
|Artist||Taylor Swift|| Rihanna
| The Weeknd|
- "iHeartRadio Music Awards: 5 things you need to know. USA Today". USA Today. May 2, 2014. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Tune In To The iHeartRadio Music Awards On Sunday, April 3, Live On TBS, TNT, And truTV". iHeartMedia. March 30, 2016. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "NBC to Televise Clear Channel's First Ever iHeartRadio Music Awards Live May 1". iheartmedia.com. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". iheartmedia.com. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- Edwards, Gavin. "IHeartRadio Music Awards 2014's 10 Best and Worst Moments". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "iHeartRadio Music Awards Return March 29th on NBC!". News.iheart.com. iHeartMedia. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Stutz, Colin (March 17, 2016). "Jason Derulo to Host iHeartRadio Music Awards". Billboard. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "iHeartRadio Music Awards Returning in March". Billboard. August 16, 2016. Retrieved August 20, 2016.
- Payne, Chris (May 1, 2014). "Rihanna Wins Big at iHeartRadio Music Awards". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- Vain, Madison (March 29, 2015). "iHeartRadio Music Awards 2015 Winners". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Blistein, Jon (February 9, 2016). "Taylor Swift, the Weeknd Lead iHeartRadio Music Awards Noms". Rolling Stone. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- "U2 to Receive 2016 iHeartRadio Innovator Award at the iHeartRadio Music Awards". People. March 26, 2016. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Rihanna Wins Big At iHeartRadio Awards: See The Winners List". MTV. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- "Justin Timberlake To Be Honored With Innovator Award At 2015 iHeartRadio Music Awards". iHeartRadio. March 16, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "TV ratings: iHeart Radio Music Awards solid, 'Grey's Anatomy' up". Los Angeles Times. May 2, 2014. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- O'Connell, Michael (March 30, 2015). "TV Ratings: iHeartRadio Music Awards Hold as Sunday Series Slip". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "'iHeartRadio Music Awards' Debuts To Modest Ratings On TNT, TBS & TruTV". deadline. April 5, 2016. Retrieved April 15, 2016.