Hollywood Game Night
|Hollywood Game Night|
|Presented by||Jane Lynch|
|Starring||Dean Butterworth (Bandleader)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||50 (as of July 28, 2016)|
Universal Studios Hollywood|
Los Angeles, California
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Original release||July 11, 2013 – present|
Hollywood Game Night is an American television game show hosted by Jane Lynch currently airing on NBC. The program premiered on July 11, 2013 and follows two contestants who take part in a casual game night with celebrities, with the winning contestant taking home up to $25,000 in cash prizes.
Two teams of four players each (consisting of three celebrities and one contestant) play a series of games. The celebrities play for a chance to win $10,000 for a charity of their choice, while the non-celebrity players compete for the right to win $25,000. The non-celebrity player is designated captain of the team.
Five games are played on each episode. Within each game, teams attempt to score points for their team, with one point awarded for each correct response in rounds one and two, and two points per correct answer in rounds three and four. The fifth and final game awards five points per correct answer, with the team in the lead going first. If both contestants are tied prior to the fifth and final game, then the contestant who won the last game goes first.
The contestant with the most points at the end of play wins the game and advances to the $25,000 bonus round. When both contestants are tied at the end of the game, the contestant who wins more games will advance to the bonus round. In season four, the contestant who misspells a celebrity name loses and the other contestant advances to the bonus round.
Games vary in complexity and subject. Some games require teams to answer questions based upon photographs of celebrities, television programs, or films, while others ask teams to place items in categories or order items based upon a chronological scale. Other games require teams to identify the brand of grocery products based upon pictures of the product or to match pictures to audio clues played for the team. Several other games are based on wordplay, requiring teams to identify subjects for which the vowels have been removed, titles in which the order of words has been shuffled or to identify titles and phrases which are displayed in a language other than English. Games where a time limit is involved are typically played for 90 seconds.
Celebrity Name Game (bonus round)
In the bonus round, "Celebrity Name Game", the winning contestant chooses one of the six celebrities as their partner (beginning in season three, this was changed to two celebrities, one from each team). The chosen celebrity begins describing a different celebrity as best they can. For every celebrity the winning contestant identifies correctly, the contestant earns $1,000 and the celebrity receives $1,000 for his or her charity. If the contestant guesses 10 celebrities correctly within 90 seconds, the contestant's winnings are increased to $25,000 and the celebrity partner wins $10,000 for his or her charity (in season three, each celebrity won the same amount, up to $10,000, for their charities).
On August 1, 2011, NBC announced that they were developing the series, then under the name Celebrity Game Night. The project's name was changed to Hollywood Game Night when it was ordered to series on December 18, 2012. In February 2013, it was announced that Jane Lynch would host the show.
Created by actor/producer Sean Hayes and producer Todd Milliner, the show was inspired by real-life cocktail party-style game nights held by Hayes and Milliner. "Sean Hayes, the creator of the series, has these notorious game nights that are so much fun, that a variety of people go to because he has a lot of interesting people in his life," host Jane Lynch told The Huffington Post. "And he said 'Let's put it on TV,' and NBC said, 'OK!' Before I knew it, I was hosting it, and we rented this mansion that is, ostensibly, mine, and we put couches in there and we got everybody tanked up on booze and we played these games."
On August 20, 2013, NBC renewed Hollywood Game Night for a ten-episode second season that began airing on January 20, 2014. The season was soon extended, with the eleventh episode airing on April 17. The season includes fifteen new party games as well as some from the previous season.
A New Year's Eve-themed live episode of Hollywood Game Night, New Year’s Eve Game Night, was broadcast by NBC on December 31, 2015, replacing the primetime hour of New Year's Eve with Carson Daly. Andy Cohen hosted, as Lynch was unable to participate due to other commitments.
The program's second season began with a Christmas episode that aired on December 23, 2013. Regularly scheduled episodes then premiered on January 20, 2014 and aired on Mondays until February 3. The rest of the season's episodes were aired on Thursdays, from February 27 to July 24.
Season three aired Tuesdays at 10 p.m. Season Four episodes aired on Tuesdays at 8 pm beginning January 5, 2016 until February 23 of the same year. The show returned with a new episode on March 13, 2016 in its new time slot of 10 pm Eastern Time.
Hollywood Game Night's ratings were first or tied for first in its timeslot for every episode of season 1. The show received little advance press, but was reviewed positively by the Los Angeles Times.
Awards and nominations
On August 25, 2014, Jane Lynch won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program at the 66th Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards. On February 14, 2015 the writers of Hollywood Game Night won the Writers Guild of America award in the Quiz and Audience Participation category.
On September 19, 2015, Jane Lynch won her second Emmy Award for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program at the 67th Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards.
|2014||Emmy Award||Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program||Jane Lynch||Won|
|Online Film & Television Association||Best Host or Panelist in a Non-Fiction Program||Won|
|Best Non-Fiction Program||Hollywood Game Night||Nominated|
|2015||Writers Guild of America||Quiz and Audience Participation||Won|
|Online Film & Television Association||Best Host or Panelist in a Non-Fiction Program||Jane Lynch||Nominated|
|Emmy Award||Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program||Jane Lynch||Won|
|2016||Writers Guild of America||Quiz and Audience Participation||Hollywood Game Night||Won|
|Emmy Award||Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program||Jane Lynch||Nominated|
|Canada|| Silence, on joue!
Quiet, we're playing!
|Patrice L'Écuyer||Ici Radio-Canada Télé||2015|
|Czech Republic|| Hvězdná Párty
|Petr Rychlý||TV Nova||2016|
|France|| Canapé quiz
|Celebrity Game Night||Smaragda Karydi||Mega Channel||2014|
|Hungary|| Gyertek át szombat este!
Come Over Saturday Night!
|Balázs Sebestyén||RTL Klub||2015|
|Pétur Jóhann Sigfússon||Stöð 2||2015|
|Indonesia||Celebrity Games Show||Indra Herlambang||RTV||2014|
|Russia|| Подмосковные вечера
|Alexey Likhnitsky and Roman Yunusov||Channel One||2016|
|Spain|| Jugamos en Casa
Playing at Home
|Ukraine|| Добрый вечер на Интере
Good evening on Inter
|Thailand|| ซุป'ตาร์ปาร์ตี้ Celebrity Game Night
Superstar Party Celebrity Game Night
|Willie McIntosh||ONE HD Channel||2014|
|Turkey|| Saba Tümer ile Oyuna Geldik/Saba ile Oyuna Geldik
We Came To the Game with Saba Tumer/We Came To the Game with Saba
- Bibel, Sara (February 22, 2013). "NBC Names Emmy Winner Jane Lynch as Host of New Game Show Series 'Hollywood Game Night'". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Kondology, Amanda (April 25, 2013). "NBC Sets Premiere Dates for 'Crossing Lines', 'The Winner Is..' & 'Hollywood Game Night'". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Kondology, Amanda (December 18, 2012). "NBC Announces Bold New Game Show 'Hollywood Game Night'". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Petski, Denise (December 2, 2015). "'Hollywood Game Night' Returns For Season 4 with January Premiere". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "NBC Augments its Stable Schedule with Ambitious New Dramas, High Concept Comedies and Unpredictable Unscripted Series". The Futon Critic. May 15, 2016. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- Sullivan, Brian (August 1, 2011). "Greenblatt: 'We Want to Restore NBC to Its Leadership Position in Quality'". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 3, 2013.
- Ng, Philiana (February 27, 2013). "How Sean Hayes' House Parties Led to NBC's New Game Show". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Furlong, Maggie (July 11, 2013). "'Hollywood Game Night' Premiere: Host Jane Lynch Previews New Series". The Huffington Post. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "'Hollywood Game Night' Renewed for Second Season by NBC". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nelliie (20 August 2013). "NBC's 'Hollywood Game Night' Renewed for Second Season". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Updates - NBC Primetime Schedule". NBC Entertainment Press Releases. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Updates - NBC Primetime Schedule". NBC Entertainment Press Releases. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "NBC Primetime Schedule". NBC Entertainment Press Releases. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Harris, Beth (January 20, 2014). "Jane Lynch Returns to Host 'Hollywood Game Night'". ABC News. Associated Press. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Adalian, Josef (11 May 2014). "NBC Schedule: The Blacklist Will Deliver a Blow to Must-See Comedy, and It's Over for Parks and Rec". Vulture. New York Magazine. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Andy Cohen Takes Over NBC's Primetime New Year's Eve With 'Game Night' Special". Deadline.com. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "'Hollywood Game Night' Announces Additional Celebrities Appearing in Second Season" (Press release). NBCUniversal. December 20, 2013. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- Webb, Matt (2014-02-05). "Hollywood Game Night Moving to Thursdays; Michael J. Fox Show Cancelled". TVLine. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (30 August 2013). "'Hollywood Game Night' Ties for #1 at 10 and Has Been #1 or Tied for #1 For Eight Telecasts". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- McNamara, Mary (11 July 2013). "Let's All Play 'Hollywood Game Night'!". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- de Moraes, Lisa (August 18, 2014). "Creative Arts Emmy Awards: 'Saturday Night Live', HBO Grab Most Trophies — Full List Of Winners". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "2016 Writers Guild Awards Nominees". The Writers Guild Awards. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Silence, on joue!" (in French). ICI Radio-Canada. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Hvězdná Párty" (in Czech). NOVA Plus. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Hvézdná Párty" (in Czech). TV Nova. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "CANAPE QUIZ" (in French). TMC. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "CELEBRITY GAME NIGHT (sub site 1)" (in Greek). Mega Channel. 18 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "CELEBRITY GAME NIGHT (Sub Site 2)" (in Greek). Mega Channel. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "CELEBRITY GAME NIGHT (Official site)" (in Greek). Mega Channel. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Gyertek át szombat este!" (in Hungarian). RTL Klub. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "CELEBRITY GAME SHOW" (in Indonesian). RTV. November 2014. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Подмосковные вечера" (in Russian). Channel One. February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- López, Tony (2 June 2015). "La 1 estrena 'Jugamos en casa', el nuevo concurso de Los Morancos, el lunes 8 de junior". FormulaTV (in Spanish). Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- López, Tony (17 June 2015). "La 1 cancela 'Jugamos en casa', el concurso de Los Morancos, tras sus bajas audiencias". FormulaTV (in Spanish). Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Добрый вечер на Интере" (in Russian). Inter. September 2016. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "CELEBRITY GAME NIGHT (Weekly Program News)" (in Thai). ONE HD Channel. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "CELEBRITY GAME NIGHT (Official Trailer)" (in Thai). ONE HD Channel. 27 July 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Saba ile Oyuna Geldik" (in Turkish). www.tv8.com.tr. 15 April 2015. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- Official website
- Hollywood Game Night at the Internet Movie Database
- Hollywood Game Night at TV.com
- Hollywood Game Night ratings at TV by the Numbers