Hardcore Devo Live!
|Hardcore Devo Live!|
|Live album (CD, LP, DVD, Blu-Ray) by Devo|
|Released||February 24, 2015|
|Recorded||June 28, 2014|
|Producer||Ed Seaman, Rick Ballard|
Hardcore Devo Live! is a concert film and live album, showcasing the June 28th, 2014 performance at the Fox Theatre in Oakland, California of Devo's 2014 "Hardcore Devo Live" tour. The tour commemorates the 40th anniversary of the band, and pays tribute to former band member, Bob Casale who died February 17th, 2014. The set list exclusively focuses on songs written between 1974 and 1977, before Devo had a recording contract. Many of the songs had not been performed by the band since 1977. While the music is largely performed as a quartet, the band is augmented, off-stage, by Brian Applegate on additional keyboards and bass guitar. The tour was also the last tour to feature Josh Freese on drums.
The show is performed in two halves, the first, focusing on earlier material, is presented with the band seated, in street clothes, with minimal lighting, as if the audience were watching them rehearsing in a basement. After "Midget," the band puts on blue coveralls, as worn in early live shows, working in more famous songs that would later appear Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! and Duty Now for the Future. The band is joined on the final song of the night, "Clockout," by Alex Casale, Bob Casale's son, on bass.
- "Mechanical Man"
- "Auto Modown"
- "Space Girl Blues"
- "Baby Talkin' Bitches"
- "I Been Refused"
- "Bamboo Bimbo"
- "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
- "Timing X/Soo Bawls"
- "Stop, Look, and Listen"
- "O No"
- "Be Stiff"
- "Uncontrollable Urge"
- "Social Fools
- "Jocko Homo"
- "Fountain of Filth"
- "Gut Feeling"
- "Booji Boy's Funeral" (unlisted track)
- "U Got Me Bugged" (performed by Booji Boy)
- "Clockout" (feat. Alex Casale)
- Mark Mothersbaugh - lead vocals, synthesizers, keyboards, and EFX guitar
- Bob Mothersbaugh - vocals, rhythm guitar, and lead guitar
- Gerald Casale - lead vocals, bass guitar, percussion
- Josh Freese - drums
- Brian Applegate - keyboard, bass guitar
- Alex Casale - bass guitar on "Clockout"
- MVD's page on Hardcore Devo Live!'
- Club Devo - Official website
- Devo Live Guide - Comprehensive guide to Devo's live performances.