HIFI (TV channel)
|Launched||March 12, 2006|
|Owned by||Blue Ant Media|
|Slogan||Music + Art|
|Formerly called||Treasure HD (2006 - 2011)|
|Bell TV||Channel 1623|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 132 / 632|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant||Channel 450|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 1660|
|Optik TV||Channel 551|
HIFI is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel. The channel is owned by Blue Ant Media and broadcasts completely in high definition. HIFI broadcasts musical and art-based programming in the form of films, concerts, documentaries, and more.
In August 2005, John S. Panikkar (co-founder of High Fidelity HDTV), was granted a licence by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch Artefact HD, a digital HD specialty channel devoted to "collectors and their collections, and will showcase creations, celebrate beauty, intricacy, aesthetics and the merits of an object for its own sake."
The channel launched on March 12, 2006 as Treasure HD; much of its programming and its name licensed from Rainbow Media, original owners of the now defunct Voom HD Networks. Like its American counterpart, the channel originally focused on factual art-based programming. When the American version ceased broadcasting in 2009, the Canadian channel broadened its programming to include live musical performance series and films.
The channel was rebranded as HIFI in August 2011. Later that year on December 21, 2011, HIFI's parent company, High Fidelity HDTV, announced that it had entered into an agreement to be purchased outright by Blue Ant Media, majority owners of Glassbox Television and minority owners of Quarto Communications. While initially purchasing 29.9% of the company, the remaining 70.1% was purchased after CRTC approval.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-364 CRTC 2005-08-02
- Bell ExpressVu Invites Canadians to Explore New High Definition Oasis and Visual Treasures BCE press release 2006-03-13
- High Fidelity rebrands Treasure HD to HIFI Cartt.ca 2011-09-06
- Blue Ant Media Enters Agreement to Acquire High Fidelity HDTV CNW press release 2011-12-21
- Blue Ant Completes Acquisition of High Fidelity HDTV, Broadcaster Magazine, August 1, 2012.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-419 CRTC 2012-08-01