HGTV (Canada)

Launched October 17, 1997 (1997-10-17)
Owned by Corus Entertainment (80.24%, managing partner)
(HGTV Canada, Inc.)
Scripps Networks Interactive (19.76%)
Picture format 1080i (HDTV)
480i (SDTV)
Slogan Real Estate. Real Drama.
Country Canada
Language English
Broadcast area Nationwide
Headquarters Toronto, Ontario
Website HGTV Canada
Bell TV Channel 600 (SD)
Channel 1600 (HD)
Shaw Direct Channel 564 (SD)
Channel 254 (HD)
Available on most Canadian cable systems Consult your local cable provider for channel availability
Bell Aliant Channel 271 (SD) Channel 427 (HD)
Bell Fibe TV Channel 600 (SD)
Channel 1600 (HD)
MTS Channel 134 (SD)
Channel 1134 (HD)
Optik TV Channel 9306 (SD)
Channel 306 (HD)
SaskTel Channel 102 (SD)
Channel 402 (HD)
VMedia Channel 46 (HD)
Zazeen Channel 112 (HD)

HGTV (Home & Garden Television) is a Canadian English language Category A cable and satellite specialty channel that is owned as a joint venture between Corus Entertainment (which serves as managing partner and owns 80.24% majority control through licensee HGTV Canada, Inc.) and Scripps Networks Interactive (which owns the remaining 19.76%).[1] HGTV broadcasts programs regarding real estate, home and garden design, and renovations.

HGTV broadcasts both original Canadian productions and licensed content from other broadcasters. The majority of licensed content is sourced from the flagship HGTV cable channel in the United States (which is wholly owned by the Canadian service's part-owner, Scripps Networks Interactive); however, it also carries programming from other sources such as DIY Network and the BBC.


In September 1996, Your Channel Television Inc., a company majority owned by Atlantis Communications with minority partner E. W. Scripps Company, was granted a television broadcasting licence by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a channel called HGTV-TV Canada, described at the time as broadcasting "programming that presents practical, hands-on advice and instruction about homes and gardens. The programming will revolve around five key themes: building and remodelling, decorating and interior design, gardening and landscaping, crafts and hobbies and special interests."[2]

HGTV Canada logo used from 1997 to 2012.

The channel was launched as HGTV on October 17, 1997.[3] In June 1998,[4] Atlantis Communications announced that it planned to merge with Alliance Communications, another fellow television and film producer and broadcaster, owners of History Television and Showcase at the time,[5] to form a new company called Alliance Atlantis Communications. The CRTC approved the merger in May 1999.[5]

On January 18, 2008,[6] a joint venture between Canwest and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners known as CW Media[7] acquired control of HGTV through its purchase of Alliance Atlantis' broadcasting assets, which were placed in a trust in August 2007.[8]

On October 27, 2010, the channel's ownership changed again as Shaw Communications gained control of HGTV as a result of its acquisition of Canwest and Goldman Sachs' interest in CW Media.[9][10] On July 23, 2012, HGTV introduced a new logo similar to the one used by its American counterpart since 2010.


HGTV HD logo used from 2011 to 2012.

HGTV HD is a high definition feed simulcast feed of HGTV, which broadcasts in the 1080i resolution format; the feed launched on January 31, 2011.[11]


Past or present series which were produced partly or wholly by HGTV Canada are listed here. A more complete list, including programs originating with the American parent channel, can be seen at List of programs broadcast by HGTV (Canada).


This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 11/25/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.