|Comune di Gradara|
Location of Gradara in Italy
|Coordinates: 43°56′N 12°46′E / 43.933°N 12.767°ECoordinates: 43°56′N 12°46′E / 43.933°N 12.767°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Pesaro e Urbino (PU)|
|Frazioni||Santo Stefano, Fanano alta, Fanano Bassa, Granarola, pievecchia|
|• Mayor||Franca Foronchi (since May 2006)|
|• Total||17 km2 (7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||142 m (466 ft)|
|Population (December 31, 2004)|
|• Density||200/km2 (510/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Terenzio|
|Saint day||third sunday of September|
Gradara is a town and comune in the Province of Pesaro e Urbino (PU), in the region of Marche in central Italy. It is 6 Km da Gabicce Mare and Cattolica, 25 Km from Rimini, 15 Km from Pesaro and 33 Km from Urbino (40 minutes).
The ancient town is characterized by a double line of medieval walls and by the massive Castle, one of the best preserved in Italy. It is famous as being the location of the episode of Paolo and Francesca described by Dante Alighieri in the V Canto of his Inferno.
The construction of the castle was begun in the 12th century by Pietro and Ridolfo del Grifo. Later, Malatesta da Verucchio captured the Grifo tower, which became the mastio of the current castle, which was to be finished in the 15th century.
After the Malatesta seignory, the town was conquered by the Sforza in the September 1289. Here, in 1494, arrived Lucrezia Borgia, wife of Giovanni Sforza. After a short domination of Lucrezia's brother, Cesare, Gradara was handed over to the della Rovere. After the end of the latter's dynasty, the city was administrated directly by the Popes.
- Bruno Bruni (artist), lithographer (1935– )