Goodby, Silverstein & Partners
|Industry||Advertising, Marketing, Design, Interactive, Media, Strategy|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
Number of employees
|Parent||Omnicom Group Inc.|
Goodby, Silverstein & Partners (also known as GSP) is an advertising agency based in San Francisco.
The agency was founded in 1983 as Goodby, Berlin & Silverstein by Jeff Goodby, Andy Berlin and Rich Silverstein. Andy Berlin left in 1992 and the agency was renamed. Goodby, Silverstein & Partners is now part of the Omnicom Group, Inc., an advertising holding company. The agency is based in San Francisco, CA. In 2015, after 32 years, Rich Silverstein and Jeff Goodby announced they were passing on the reigns of the creative department to Margaret Johnson, Executive Creative Director and Eric Kallman, Executive Creative Director. Margaret and Eric were also named to Adweek's Creative 100 list in 2015.
As an offshoot of the popular Budweiser Frogs campaign, GSP introduced the Budweiser Lizards, Frank and Louie, during the 1998 Super Bowl with the spot entitled, "Bad Day to be a Frog," in which the frogs were electrocuted by the jealous lizards.
In 2006, Anhesuer-Busch purchased the Rolling Rock brand. Rolling Rock loyalists began to boycott the beer. GSP was tasked to resurrect the brand back to life. Feeding into the bad press, GSP created a fictional VP of Marketing for Rolling Rock, Ron Stablehorn, who promoted all the wrong things, including a "Beer Ape" that parachuted into beer-less parties.
Inspired by the famous Budweiser Clydesdales, the "Born a Donkey" commercial came from the perspective of a donkey who always wanted to be a Clydesdale. The spot was nominated in the Outstanding Commercial category for the 2004 Creative Arts Emmys.
The agency has been nominated for a total of four Emmy's in the Outstanding Commercial category. In addition to "Born a Donkey" they received nominations for Saturn's "Door Music" in 2004, for Sprint/Nextel's "Wedding" in 2009 and for Adobe's "Dream On" in 2015.
- David Burd (AKA "Lil Dicky") - rapper & comedian
- "Goodby Silverstein & Partners, Inc. - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Goodby Silverstein & Partners, Inc". Referenceforbusiness.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Agency Family Trees 2010" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Advertising Educational Foundation. "got milk?". Aef.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Aaron Burr Got Milk". The Inspiration Room. 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Britney Spears Fantasy Myth". The Inspiration Room. 2005-12-21. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Denny's Super Bowl 2010 Grand Slam Offer". The Inspiration Room. 2010-02-07. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Horovitz, Bruce (2009-02-03). "2 million enjoy free breakfast at Denny's". Usatoday.Com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Advertising > Animal Mascots > Budweiser Frogs (Anheuser-Busch)". Tv Acres. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Anheuser-Busch buys Rolling Rock brands - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. 2006-05-20. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Latrobe brewery's boosters calling for boycott - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. 2006-05-24. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Born A Donkey - Budweiser". Emmys.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.