1965 (age 50–51)|
Glenn McCoy is an American conservative cartoonist, whose work includes the comic strip The Duplex and the daily panel he does with his brother Gary entitled The Flying McCoys. McCoy also produces editorial cartoons. All three cartoon features are syndicated by Universal Press Syndicate.
Glenn McCoy was born in 1965 and began drawing at the age of 4 under the supervision of his older brother and grandfather. His interest in cartoons and daily strips caused him to work as a cartoonist in newspapers published in his grade school, high school and college. He graduated from Southern Illinois University with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts and graphic design.
After graduation, McCoy started as an art director/editorial cartoonist for the Belleville News-Democrat in his hometown of Belleville, Illinois. He also began working for Playboy as a gag cartoonist in 1992. One year later he created his best-known comic strip—The Duplex.
In 1993, Glenn McCoy began his comic strip The Duplex, syndicated by Universal Press Syndicate.
In 2005, Glenn and his brother Gary launched The Flying McCoys—a single panel comic that's syndicated through Universal Press (featured in The Los Angeles Times, Chicago Sun Times, Washington Post and about 150 other clients). The brothers switch writing and art duties on a daily basis.
McCoy has also become known for his editorial cartoons published through the Belleville News-Democrat. In 2008, Daily Kos and Mother Jones claimed one of his cartoons portraying Barack Obama's opposition to the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act was "in extremely poor taste".
- National Cartoonist Society awarded the following awards to Glenn McCoy:
- Editorial Cartoon Award for 1997 (he has been nominated again in 2007).
- Gag Cartoon Award for 1996, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2009 (nominated for the Gag Cartoon Award in 1997 and 1999).
- Greeting Card Award for 2002, 2003, 2004, 2011 and 2014.
- Newspaper Comic Strip for 2004 and 2011, for his work on The Duplex.
- Newspaper Panel for 2010, for his work of Flying McCoys
- "Glenn McCoy » About Glenn". glennmccoy.com. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- "Laugh Lines". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "The Sickest Editorial Cartoon In History". Daily Kos. 2008-08-19.
- Jonathan Stein (2008-08-20). "Dear Lord, Glenn McCoy. That Is One Nasty Cartoon". Mother Jones. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Roger Schlueter (2015-06-03). "Glenn McCoy puts minions to work on his Duplex". Belleville News-Democrat (newspaper). Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- Glenn McCoy – Editorial Cartoons
- The Duplex Cartoons
- The Flying McCoys Cartoons
- Glenn McCoy's biography at the NCS site
- Page on Glenn McCoy by his publisher – Universal Press Syndicate