|Traded as||LSE: GENL|
|Industry||Oil and gas industry|
Genel Energy plc is an oil company with a registered office in Jersey and field office in Turkey. It has its exploration and production operations in Iraqi Kurdistan with plans to expand its activities into other Middle East and North African countries. The company owns rights in six production sharing contracts, including interests in the Taq Taq, Tawke, and Chia Surkh fields.
Genel Energy was created in 2011 as a result of the reverse acquisition of Turkish Genel Enerji by Tony Hayward led investment company Vallares. Vallares was set up by Tony Hayward, financier Nat Rothschild and banker Julian Metherell. Genel Enerji was controlled by Mehmet Emin Karamehmet through Çukurova Group (56%) and Mehmet Sepil's family (44%). In 2009, Genel Enerji planned to merge with Heritage Oil; the deal subsequently collapsed.
The company is listed at the London Stock Exchange. 50% of Genel Energy is owned by investors of former Vallares, which has merged with Genel Energy.
- "Board of Directors". Genel Energy. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Genel Energy eyes Mideast push". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. 2011-09-08. (subscription required). Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- Marshall, Steve (2011-12-21). "Genel 'in talks' for Kurdistan field stake". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. (subscription required). Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- "Vallares poised to buy Genel Enerji". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. 2011-09-06. (subscription required). Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- "Vallares Confirms Merger With Genel, Deal Reinstates Hayward's Leadership". OilVoice. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2011-09-10.