Frank James Hospital
|Frank James Hospital
The hospital when it was known as the Frank James Cottage Hospital
|Town or city
|East Cowes, Isle of Wight
|50°45′19″N 1°17′09″W / 50.75531°N 1.285726°W
|Design and construction
|Somers Clarke & Micklethwaite (Church Architects)
The Frank James Hospital is a closed hospital in the quiet town of East Cowes on the Isle of Wight. It was built in a Dutch Style by Somers Clarke in 1893, originally as a Home for Retired Seamen, before becoming a hospital in 1903. It was designed as a memorial to Frank Linsly James, eldest son of Sophia and Daniel James. He did much travelling to Africa in his yacht The Lancashire Witch and was killed by an elephant in 1890. The wind vane on top of the hospital is a model of the yacht.
It has a central block with two projecting wings, with a verandah to the ground floor on all sides, and built of red brick with tiled roof. It is a Grade II listed building.
The hospital was sold by the NHS Trust in 2002, and since then has had ownership issues which has led to vandalism and despair. The building is currently on the endangered buildings list for the United Kingdom.
During March 2012, an action group was formed called "Friends of The Frank James" to save and preserve the Frank James Hospital for future generations. They have had support from Isle of Wight MP Andrew Turner. The group plan to push for action to be sorted before the building is lost forever.
The hospital was opened up on 18 June 1903 by the Princess of Battenburg. The idea of the hospital had been drawn for ages but due to a lack of funds this was put back a while. Due to the generosity of Arthur James and his brother William in giving the land and the building the idea of Hospital in the town had become a reality.
Due to the amount of accidents within the shipping and other industries, all accidents were transferred to Isle of Wight County Hospital at Ryde, so a new hospital within East Cowes was needed for a while. The use of this new hospital meant that patients could be treated quicker saving much distress.
The hospital's upkeep was fulfilled by J. S. White & Co and their team of over 2000 men who promised that they would contribute a little every year for the upkeep and maintenance.
Friends of The Frank James
Friends of The Frank James was born in March 2012 when a group of likeminded residents were fed up with the state of the Frank James Hospital, and chose to change this decision and save the building for future generations. Currently they have had 9 clear-up days and such people as Island MP Andrew Turner have expressed an interest to save the building. Other famous people who are wanting to show their support are Alan Titchmarsh who lives on the Isle of Wight and was formerly the High Sheriff.
- "‘Dying’ former hospital" Victorian Society 14 November 2012
- Listing text
- "Frank James Hospital on Endangered Buildings List". Island Pulse. Retrieved 2007-10-18.
- "Frank James Hospital History". Wootton Bridge Historical Department. Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- Frank James Cottage Hospital History
- Data of the Hospital Usage
- Guerrilla Gardeners set to work on the Frank James
- Friends of The Frank James
When opened in 1903.
In a derelict state 2010.
The hospital in September 2012 after a 7th clear-up by Friends of The Frank James
The Lancashire Witch wind vane on roof
Plaque commemorating Frank James in St Andrew's, West Dean, West Sussex, England