1114 Walnut Street|
|Public transit||12th-13th & Locust|
|Owner||The Shubert Organization|
|Opened||May 1st, 1928|
|Architect||Herbert J. Krapp|
The theatre was built in 1927 at the cost of $2 million, and was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp; it was named after the 19th century actor Edwin Forrest, who was born in Philadelphia, and owned and lived in the Edwin Forrest House. The opening performance was The Red Robe in 1928. A renovation of the theatre was undertaken in 1997, including redecoration and the addition of handicapped-accessible restrooms.
Over the years, the Forrest Theatre has been a proving ground for various Broadway plays and musicals, serving as the location for previews of these productions. Some of the shows that played at the Forrest prior to moving to Broadway include The Women (1936), The Music Man (1957), Funny Girl (1963), Golden Rainbow (1967) and Chicago (1975).
- "The Forrest Theatre, Philadelphia" Shubert Organization Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- In 1925, Krapp had designed a Broadway in New York City that was also named the Forrest. That theatre has been renamed a number of times, and is currently the Eugene O'Neill Theatre.
- "The Forrest Theatre: A Backward Glance" Forrest Theatre website Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Premiere of 'The Women'". The New York Times. December 8, 1936. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- Media related to Forrest Theatre at Wikimedia Commons