Family Jr.'s logo
|Launched||November 30, 2007|
Astral Media (2007-2013)|
DHX Media (2013-present)
Playhouse Disney (2007-11)|
Disney Junior (2011–15)
|Bell TV||Channel 549 (SD)|
Channels 538 / 167 (SD)|
Channel 74 / 574 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant||Channel 259 (SD) Channel 504 (HD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 549 (SD) Channel 1549 (HD)|
|MTS||Channel 158 (SD)|
|SaskTel||Channel 133 (SD)|
|Telus Optik TV||
Channel 9603 (SD)|
Channel 603 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 68 (SD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 138 (SD)|
Family Jr. is a Canadian English-language Category A specialty channel owned by DHX Media. Launched on November 30, 2007, the service broadcasts programming aimed at preschool-aged children. Family Jr. is operated as a multiplex channel of its parent network Family, under CRTC regulations allowing channels licensed as premium television services to operate additional feeds consistent with their overall licencing. The channel was previously operated under Disney's preschool television brands during the late 2000s, including Playhouse Disney and later Disney Junior, but the channel was later rebranded as a preschool spinoff of Family in 2015, following the acquisition of Canadian rights to Disney's children's programming library by Corus Entertainment.
Unlike Family and Family Chrgd, which operate both Eastern and Pacific Time Zone feeds, Family Jr. operates solely on an Eastern Time Zone schedule.
Along with its French-language counterpart, Télémagino, it is available in over 4 million Canadian households as of 2013.
As Playhouse Disney and Disney Junior
The channel originally launched as Playhouse Disney on November 30, 2007; as Family is licensed as a premium service which allows for the addition of multiplex channels that are consistent with the network's licence (which dictates that it provide a service with programming aimed at youth aged 17 and younger), no additional licence was required to launch the service, and the channel would be offered at no additional charge to television providers who already carry Family Channel.
A French-language version, originally known as Playhouse Disney Télé, was launched on July 5, 2010. Unlike the English version, it operates under a separate Category B license.
On May 6, 2011, the networks were re-launched under Disney's new preschool television brand Disney Junior. Family's remaining multiplex channel, Jetix, was shut down on June 1, 2011 and got replaced by Disney XD on all cable and satellite providers.
Following the sale of Astral Media to Bell Media, the two Disney Junior services and their sister networks (along with Astral's French-language music networks) were put up for sale to relieve concerns over Bell's concentration of media ownership following the merger.
On November 28, 2013, DHX Media announced it would acquire the two Disney Junior services and their sister networks for $170 million, pending CRTC approval. On July 24, 2014, the CRTC approved DHX's purchase of the networks, and the deal was closed on July 31, 2014.
As Family Jr.
On April 16, 2015, it was announced that Corus Entertainment had acquired rights to Disney's children's television library and brands, succeeding a previous license agreement with DHX. Corus stated that following the launch of a Canadian version of Disney Channel, it relaunched Disney's other linear children's television brands in Canada in December 2015 and are anchored by returning favorites as well as shows that never aired on the DHX versions.
In anticipation for this transition, DHX concurrently announced that its Disney-branded networks were re-branded as spin-offs of Family Channel.
Disney Junior was the first channel to be rebranded, and it was re-branded as Family Jr. on September 18, 2015. Then Disney XD, the second channel to be rebranded, was renamed Family Chrgd October 9, 2015.
On December 1, 2015, Corus Entertainment launched a replacement Disney Junior-branded channel to follow Disney Channel's launch in Canada.
- Bananas in Pyjamas (February 19, 2013–present)
- Bob THE BUILDER (December 5, 2015–present)
- Curious George (September 18, 2015–present)
- Franny's Feet (May 6, 2011–September 1, 2014; August 31, 2015–present)
- In the Night Garden (April 11, 2016–present)
- Julius Jr. (May 2, 2015–present)
- Justin Time (September 16, 2012–present)
- Kate and Mim-Mim (September 5, 2015–present)
- Little People (March 14, 2016–present)  based on the Little People toys
- Messy Goes to Okido (April 9, 2016–present)
- Nature Cat (July 1, 2016–present)
- Playdate (October 3, 2015–present)
- Rainbow Ruby (April 23, 2016–present)
- Sarah & Duck (July 7, 2014–present)
- The Save-Ums! (May 24, 2015–present)
- Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Bitty Adventures (May 6, 2011–present)
- Super WHY! (November 7, 2016-present)
- Teletubbies (December 19, 2015–present)
- Thomas & Friends (May 24, 2015–present)
- Tickety Toc (April 23, 2012–present)
- Topsy and Tim (September 5, 2015–present)
- Twirlywoos (September 5, 2015–present)
- Waybuloo (April 16, 2016–present)
- YaYa and Zouk (July 4, 2016–present)
- Yo Gabba Gabba! (September 5, 2015–present)
- Yup Yups (September 16, 2013–present)
- Chloe's Closet (Premieres January 2, 2017)
- Lily's Driftwood Bay (Premieres January 2, 2017)
- Noddy, Toyland Detective (Premieres January 2, 2017)
- The Furchester Hotel (Premieres January 2, 2017)
- Space Ranger Roger (To Be Announced)
Some shows are now airing on the resurrected Disney Junior channel in Canada.
- Bear in the Big Blue House (May 6, 2011–May 25, 2012; September 3, 2012–September 30, 2013)
- Bunnytown (May 6, 2011–May 2012)
- Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-lot (May 6, 2011–June 30, 2012)
- Doc McStuffins (April 8, 2012–August 30, 2015)
- DuckTales (October 2011–September 30, 2013)
- Gerald McBoing-Boing (May 6, 2011–July 31, 2011)
- Handy Manny (May 6, 2011–August 7, 2014)
- Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs (May 6, 2011–August 28, 2014)
- Henry Hugglemonster (April 21, 2013–January 1, 2016)
- Henry's World (May 6, 2011–September 27, 2013)
- Higglytown Heroes (May 6, 2011–September 30, 2013)
- Imagination Movers (May 6, 2011–August 30, 2015)
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates (May 6, 2011–December 1, 2015)
- Johnny and the Sprites (May 6, 2011–September 2, 2012)
- JoJo's Circus (May 6, 2011–September 1, 2013)
- Jungle Junction (May 6, 2011–August 30, 2015)
- Katie and Orbie (May 6, 2011–December 31, 2012)
- Lalaloopsy (September 27, 2014–August 28, 2016)
- Little Einsteins (May 6, 2011–January 1, 2016)
- The Little Mermaid (September 16, 2013–August 31, 2014)
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (May 6, 2011–September 17, 2015)
- Miles from Tomorrowland (February 21, 2015–August 30, 2015)
- Out of the Box (July 1, 2011–August 31, 2012; December 31, 2012–August 31, 2014)
- The Secret World of Benjamin Bear (May 6, 2011–August 30, 2015)
- Sheriff Callie's Wild West (February 2, 2014–December 1, 2015)
- Sofia the First (January 19, 2013–August 31, 2015)
- Special Agent Oso (May 6, 2011–January 1, 2016)
- Stanley (May 6, 2011–September 27, 2013)
- Stella and Sam (May 6, 2011–September 1, 2016)
- Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! (May 6, 2011–June 30, 2015)
Note: The shows PJ Masks and Rolie Polie Olie did not air due to Disney Junior being rebranded.
Extra Disney Junior (Canada) Programs
Acquired programming in Reruns
The following acquired shows are also airing on the resurrected Disney Junior channel in Canada:
- The Berenstain Bears
- Timothy Goes to School (Now on Disney Junior, no longer airing on Treehouse TV)
- Willa's Wild Life (acquired from YTV)
- Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos
- The Bite-Sized Adventures of Sam Sandwich
- Can You Teach My Alligator Manners?
- Choo-Choo Soul
- Dance-a-Lot Robot
- Feeling Good with JoJo!
- Franny's Treasures
- Handy Manny's School for Tools
- Happy Monster Band
- Jake's Buccaneer Blast
- Lou and Lou: Safety Patrol
- Mickey Mousekersize
- Mini Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Minnie's Bow-Toons
- Muppet Moments
- Nina Needs to Go!
- A Poem Is...
- Quiet Is...
- Shane's Kindergarten Countdown
- Shanna's Show
- Special Agent Oso: Three Healthy Steps
- Tales of Friendship with Winnie the Pooh
- Tasty Time with ZeFronk
- Where Is Warehouse Mouse?
Family Jr. HD
On May 1, 2013, a high definition simulcast of Family Jr.'s (as Disney Junior) standard definition feed was launched. It is available on Eastlink, Rogers Cable, Shaw Direct, and Telus Optik TV.
Family Jr. On Demand
Family Jr. On Demand is a video on demand service featuring programming from Family Jr, available to subscribers of Family and Family Jr.. Family Jr. (as Disney Junior) launched its own On Demand channel on May 6, 2011. 
Family Jr. Go
Family Jr. Go is a service available on the App Store and Google Play Store. It is available to television customers of Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct. It shows new and old episodes of Family Jr. programming and is part of the Family app.
- ↑ "Family Channel | Family Channel, Disney Junior and Disney XD Available on Free Preview in March". Newswire.ca. 2013-03-01. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- ↑ Playhouse Disney splashes out for Canuck launch, KidScreen, 1 November 2007
- ↑ Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2002-386, CRTC, 2002-11-28
- ↑ "Broadcasting Decision 2006-98". CRTC. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- ↑ Disney/ABC Television Group Announces Disney Junior, a New 24-Hour Channel for Preschoolers and Their Families, The Futon Critic, May 26, 2010
- ↑ "DHX Media to buy Family, other children's channels". Toronto Star. November 28, 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- ↑ "DHX to acquire Family Channel, three others from Bell Media". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. November 28, 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- ↑ "DHX Media receives CRTC approval on $170M acquisition of Family Channel and three other children's channels". DHX Media. July 24, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- ↑ Vessing, Etan (July 24, 2014). "DHX Media approved for Family Channel takeover". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- ↑ "DHX Media closes Family Channel acquisition and announces management changes". Canada Newswire. July 31, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- ↑ "Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-388". CRTC. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- ↑ "Changes to our Kids Channels". VMedia. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- ↑ "Changes to our youth programming". Videotron. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- ↑ "DHX TELEVISION'S REBRANDED FAMILY JR. AND TÉLÉMAGINO NETWORKS ARE REVEALED TODAY" (Press release). DHX Media. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- ↑ "The DHX-Disney Divorce Is Almost Done". Cartt.ca. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- ↑ "Corus gains Canadian rights to all of the Disney Channel content". The Globe and Mail. Canadian Press. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- ↑ http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/dhx-television-offers-family-channel-networks-on-free-preview-beginning-today-570647381.html
- ↑ http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?stnNum=59119
- ↑ http://www.familyjr.ca/shows/nature-cat/
- 1 2 "Family Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior put the "all" into Fall with stellar 2014 programming lineup". newswire.ca. CNW. August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- ↑ http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?stnNum=59119
- ↑ http://www.licensingexpo.com/license-global/dhx-media-commissions-three-series
- ↑ "THE FUTURE IS BLASTASTIC! MILES FROM TOMORROWLAND PREMIERES FEBRUARY 21 ON DISNEY JUNIOR". DHX Media. Toronto. February 4, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2015.
- ↑ "Family Jr. On Demand". FamilyJr.Ca.