It was inaugurated in 1945 after a 1943 agreement between RKO and Emilio Azcárraga Vidaurreta (of Televisa). In 1950 it was acquired by the government of Mexico and merged with Estudios y Laboratorios Azteca to form Estudios Churubusco Azteca. Since 1958 it has been controlled by the government of Mexico. Of the four motion picture studios during the Golden age of Mexican cinema—the others were Estudios America, Estudios San Angel and Estudios Tepeyac—it and Televisa San Angel (the former Estudios San Angel) are still in operation.
It is estimated that 95% of the films produced in Mexico since 2000 have used many of the services the studio provides.