Dundas County, Ontario
Dundas County is a county in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Dundas was created in 1792 by the area's first settlers: German Loyalists who had fought with Sir John Johnson in the American Revolutionary War. The settlers, descendants of the Palatine immigrants to America in 1710, had immigrated to the area eight years earlier.
Dundas was named after Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville. Its original territory had included portions of Carleton County, which became a separate county in 1800. Dundas later united with Stormont and Glengarry to form the regional government United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.
- Matilda (Area 62,327 acres (252 km2)), was first settled in 1784 by German Loyalists. The Township was formally organized in 1787. The Township was named in honour of the Princess Royal, Charlotte Augusta Matilda, who married the King of Württemberg in 1797. During the War of 1812 a fort was located at Point Iroquois. Community centres: Iroquois, Irena, Dundela, Glen Stewart, Brinston, Hulbert and Pleasant Valley (This Township is now part of South Dundas).
- Mountain. (Area 57,778 acres (234 km2)). Organized in 1798 and named in honour of the first Bishop of Quebec, Rev. Jacob Mountain. Community centres: Mountain, Hallville, and Inkerman. (This Township is now part of North Dundas)
- Williamsburgh (Area 59,482 acres (241 km2)), Settled in 1784 it became a Township in 1787. Named in honour of Prince William Henry, third son of George III, afterwards King William IV. The Battle of Crysler's Farm was fought on Lot 12, Concession I. A monument was placed there in 1885. Community centres: Morrisburg, Aultsville, Frostburg, Bouck Hill, Dunbar and Archer. (This Township is now part of South Dundas)
- Winchester, (Area 56,844 acres (230 km2)). Opened in 1798 and named after the English city. Community Center: Winchester, Chesterville, Morewood, Winchester Springs, North Winchester, Ormond, Melville and Cass) (This Township is now part of North Dundas)
Province of Ontario -- A History 1615 to 1927 by Jesse Edgar Middletwon & Fred Landon, copyright 1927, Dominion Publishing Company, Toronto.
Coordinates: 45°00′N 75°17′W / 45.000°N 75.283°W