Curious George (TV series)
Margret Rey (books)|
H.A. Rey (books)
by Margret Rey
|Developed by||Joe Fallon|
Rob Paulsen |
William H. Macy (season 1)|
|Opening theme||"Like Curious George!" by Dr. John|
|Ending theme||"Like Curious George!" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||9|
|No. of episodes||109 (list of episodes)|
|Camera setup||Jaclyn Brick|
|Running time||30 minutes|
Universal 1440 Entertainment
(Universal Studios Family Productions before 2013)
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original network||PBS Kids|
SDTV 480i (seasons 1-4)
|Original release||September 4, 2006 – April 1, 2015|
Curious George is an American animated television series based on the children's book series of the same name which features Jeff Bennett as the voice of The Man with the Yellow Hat. Frank Welker, who voiced George in the 2006 feature film, returns here as the voice of Curious George. The show is currently broadcast on PBS Kids. It debuted in 2006, and began its ninth season on October 28, 2014 which ended on April 1, 2015. On March 17, 2016 it was announced that PBS Kids & Hulu renewed the series for a tenth season, although no further official announcements have been made since then.
Curious George is a production of Universal 1440 Entertainment (Universal Studios Family Productions before 2013), Imagine Entertainment, and WGBH Boston, and animated by Toon City. Each episode has two short cartoons per half-hour episode and a live-action segment after each story.
The series illustrates and explains various concepts in math and science and each live-action segment shows schoolchildren engaging in experiments that teach the math or science concept featured in the previous cartoon.
- The City: George and the Man with the Yellow Hat live in an apartment in "The City". The Doorman keeps a pigeon coop on the roof and is the guardian of Hundley, his dachshund dog. The apartment is near Endless Park, the museum where Professor Wiseman works, and a zoo. Chef Pisghetti's restaurant is nearby, as are a donut shop, Dulson's Toy Store, Mabel's Department Store, a supermarket and a pet shop. These are recurring locations.
- The Country: George and the Man with the Yellow Hat vacation in a small house in the country. The house is near Lake Wanasink Lake, a stream, and a river that eventually flows past the city and to the ocean.
Characters and voice cast
The setting for most episodes is either the city, where George lives in an apartment building with The Man in the Yellow Hat, or the country, where they share a small house near a lake called Lake Wanasinklake. This allows George to mirror the experiences of kids who live in an urban environment and those who live on farms and in suburbs. A few episodes take place in alternate but familiar settings, like an airport or a train station.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||30||September 4, 2006||February 23, 2007|
|2||20||September 3, 2007||April 22, 2008|
|3||11||September 1, 2008||April 22, 2009|
|4||9||September 8, 2009||June 14, 2010|
|5||10||September 6, 2010||May 6, 2011|
|6||10||September 3, 2011||April 20, 2012|
|7||6||December 3, 2012||April 24, 2013|
|8||6||February 10, 2014||May 21, 2014|
|9||6||October 28, 2014||April 1, 2015|
- 2008 - Outstanding Children's Animated Program (won)
- 2010 - Outstanding Children's Animated Program (won)
- "Curious George Renewed For Season 10 By PBS Kids & Hulu!". Renew Cancel TV. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Curious George - Program Summary". PBS. Archived from the original on October 31, 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- "Curious George - Program Summary". PBS. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- "Curious George - TV Credits". PBS. Retrieved September 18, 2016.