Type of site
|Video on demand|
|Founded||March 18, 2015|
|Headquarters||Silver Spring, Maryland, United States|
|Founder(s)||John S. Hendricks, Founder of the Discovery Channel|
|Key people||Elizabeth Hendricks North (President & CEO); Steve Burns (Chief Programming Officer); Peter North (Chief Digital Officer)|
|Registration||Subscription to CuriosityStream.com required to access nonfiction content|
|Launched||March 18, 2015|
CuriosityStream is a global ad-free subscription video on demand service. It exclusively delivers nonfiction documentaries and series about science, technology, history and nature. Launched on March 18, 2015, CuriosityStream is headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland. CuriosityStream offers its users over 1,500 original and licensed titles and about 600 hours of nonfiction media.
As of December 8, 2015, Amazon Prime is offering CuriosityStream as part of its new 'add-on' subscription service. Amazon-CuriosityStream is a separate subscription from CuriosityStream's main SVOD plan in that it will only permit access via Amazon Prime's platforms and is only available to Amazon Prime members.
The founder of the Discovery Channel, John S. Hendricks, launched CuriosityStream on March 18, 2015 as an ad-free subscription video on demand service exclusively delivering nonfiction documentaries. The company launched its services internationally on September 29, 2015.
- Science: Biology, Earth, Genetics, Medicine, Mind, Nature, Physics, Space
- Technology: Artificial Intelligence, Communications, Energy, Engineering, Nanotechnology, Privacy & Security, Social Web, Transportation
- Civilization: Business, Conflict, Democracy, Economics, Entrepreneurship, History, Politics, Society
- Human spirit: Art, Character & Values, Creativity, Dramatic & Performing Arts, Health & Wellness, Literature, Music, Philosophy
CuriosityStream has produced a number of original documentaries and series, such as:
- Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places, featuring Stephen Hawking
- David Attenborough's Light On Earth, featuring David Attenborough
- Destination: Pluto, featuring Alan Stern
- Destination Mars featuring Peter Diamandis
- The Road To The Singularity featuring Jason Silva
- Transhumanism featuring Jason Silva
- Next World with Michio Kaku
- The Secrets of Quantum Physics with Jim Al-Khalili
- Wild Weather with Richard Hammond
- The Nano Revolution
- Destination Mars featuring Peter Diamandis
- Cosmic Front
- The Human Face Of Big Data
U.S. subscribers have access to BBC productions available such as:
- Ancient Worlds Richard Miles, Simon Russell Beale, Julie Berry & Cécile Michel
- Greek Myths: True Stories Robin Lane Fox
- Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire (a 6-part docudrama miniseries starring Michael Sheen)
- Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life with Richard Dawkins
- When Björk Met Attenborough with David Attenborough
- Crusades as well as Vikings and World of Stonehenge, both hosted by Neil Oliver.
- The Hawking Paradox with Stephen Hawking
Devices & Access
Current Supported Platforms
- Any laptop, desktop, PC, or Mac via a modern web browser
- Any Android device running Android version 4.0.3 or higher
- Apple TV via AirPlay or older generations or native app for 4th generation
- Chromecast via either the Chrome browser or any Android smartphone or tablet with Android 4.0.3 or higher
- iPhones, iPods, and iPads with iOS 7 or higher installed
- Roku streaming player: 2, 3, 4, TV and Streaming Stick
- Amazon Fire TV
- Amazon Kindle Fire
Future Supported Platforms
The ad-free streaming service costs $2.99, $5.99 and $11.99 per month for standard definition, high definition, and ultra high definition 4K respectively. There are discounts for paying annually.
CuriosityStream is advised by a number of individuals with backgrounds in science, education and the arts. The service employs people to be members of the Advisory Board such as:
- Vint Cerf
- Glenn Close
- John J. DeGioia
- Robbert Dijkgraaf
- Bran Ferren
- Don Henley
- Michio Kaku
- Michael A. Keller
- William English Kirwan
- Jack Leslie (public relations executive)
- Wynton Marsalis
- Wayne Pacelle
- Jim Phillips (CEO, Nanomech)
- Paul Saffo
- Richard Satava
- David Evans Shaw
- Rick Smolan
- Jill Tarter
- Michael Weber (founder, MindLab)
CuriosityStream has been featured in coverage of the digital streaming revolution by Time Magazine, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Los Angeles Times,Variety ("The New OTT View-niverse"), StreamDaily, Inverse ("CuriosityStream, the Netflix for Documentaries, Bets on the Fact"), Mashable ("CuriosityStream: the new 'Netflix' for non-fiction") and MultiChannel News.
- Friedman, Wayne. "Discovery Channel Founder To Launch Ad-Free SVOD Service". Media Post. Media Daily News. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Baumgartner, Jeff. "Amazon Sells Showtime, Starz Add-On Subscriptions". MultiChannel News. New Bay Media. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "CuriosityStream Now Available On New Amazon Video Add-on Subscription Service". Digital Journal. Digital Journal. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Discovery Channel founder launches video streaming service". Tech 2. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Meet Our Advisory Board" (PDF). CuriosityStream. CuriosityStream, LLC. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Iyengar, Rishi. "Now There's a Netflix for Science Fans".
- Hagey, Keach. "Discovery Channel Founder Jumps Into Streaming". Wall Street Journal. Wall Street Journal.
- Steel, Emily. "Sony's PlayStation Vue Is Introduced in 3 Cities". New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Dave, Paresh. "With CuriosityStream, Discovery Channel founder seeks online success". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Wallenstein, Andrew. "The OTT View-niverse: A Map of the New Video Ecosystem". Variety. Variety. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Spangler, Todd. "John Hendricks, Founder of Discovery Channel, Launches Internet Subscription VOD Service". Variety. Variety. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Longwell, Todd. "CuriosityStream Tweaks Pricing Plan For Launch". StreamDaily. StreamDaily. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Kelly, Bryan. "CuriosityStream, the Netflix for Documentaries, Bets on the Fact". www.Inverse.com. Inverse Magazine. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- Abruzzese, Jason. "CuriosityStream: the new 'Netflix' for non-fiction". Mashable. Mashable. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Baumgartner, Jeff. "CuriosityStream Goes Online". MultiChannel News. MultiChannel News. Retrieved 17 June 2015.