Critical (TV series)
|Created by||Jed Mercurio|
Michael A. Walker
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Running time||60 minutes (inc. adverts)|
|Production company(s)||Hat Trick Productions|
|Original network||Sky 1|
|Picture format||16:9 1080i|
|Original release||24 February – 19 May 2015|
Critical, styled with a time-clock format as CR:IT:IC:AL, is a British medical drama series that debuted on Sky 1 on 24 February 2015. The series is set in a fictional major trauma centre (MTC), City General Hospital, which treats critically ill patients. Each episode is based on one patient and efforts to save his or her life within one hour. Created by Jed Mercurio (Line of Duty and Bodies), the drama follows the team of medical professionals whilst they make life-changing decisions. The title refers to critical condition, the most serious medical state, as well as the decisions and actions of the staff; everything done within the first hour is absolutely vital and could determine whether a patient lives or dies. Despite receiving positive reviews, the show was cancelled on 14 July 2015 due to low ratings.
The series was created by Jed Mercurio. The first 13 episodes were ordered by Sky 1 from Hat Trick Productions in September 2013. Reviews were predominantly positive, noting the ground-breaking style and structure of the series; however some critics expressed a preference for a more traditional approach to medical drama. In Australia, the series premiered on BBC First on July 28, 2015.
- Lennie James as Glen Boyle, Trauma Consultant and Team Leader
- Catherine Walker as Fiona Lomas, Vascular Surgical Registrar and Trauma Fellow
- Kimberley Nixon as Dr. Angharad ('Harry') Bennett-Edwards, Senior House Officer
- Neve McIntosh as Nicola Hicklin, Consultant Nurse, Acting Clinical Lead and Deputy Clinical Lead
- John MacMillan as Justin Costello, Staff Nurse
- Danny Kirrane as Billy Finlay, Operating Department Practitioner
- Prasanna Puwanarajah as Ramakrishna Chandramohan, Anaesthetics Registrar
- Peter Sullivan as Clive Archerfield, Clinical Lead Consultant and Major Incident Officer
- Mali Harries as Nerys Merrick, Ward Sister
- Paul Bazely as Giles Dhillon, Trauma Manager
- Emma Fryer as Rebecca Osgood, Orthopaedic Registrar
- Juliet Oldfield as Shelley Imms, Radiographer
- Jack Fortune as Robert Street, Consultant General Surgeon
- Claire Skinner as Lorraine Rappaport, Consultant Trauma Surgeon, Consultant Vascular Surgeon and Trauma Team Leader
- Orion Lee as Brian Zhao, CT Radiographer
- Maya Barcot as Tessa Yarwood (4 episodes)
- Daphne Cheung as Debbie Wong (4 episodes)
- Anna Koval as Ania Dubczek (4 episodes)
- Kirsten Foster as Dalisay Guinto (3 episodes)
- Garry Marriott as Lloyd Watson, Paramedic (2 episodes)
- Elliot Cowan as Tom Farrow, O/G Consultant (2 episodes)
- "Critical: Every second counts as Lennie James leads ground-breaking Sky1-HD medical drama". Sky. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Lynn, Connolly (3 February 2014). "Critical coming to Sky 1! Is this the lovechild of ER and 24? Lennie James stars in "real-time" drama". Prime Time. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Plunkett, John (27 January 2014). "Line of Duty's Lennie James to star in Sky1 Jed Mercurio drama". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Drewett, Meg (27 January 2014). "Lennie James leads cast of new Sky1 medical drama Critical". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Munn, Patrick (27 January 2014). "Lennie James Cast As Lead In Sky1's Medical Drama Series 'Critical'". TV Wise. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Martin, William (14 July 2015). "Sky1 has axed medical drama 'Critical'". Cultbox. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "Bodies creator pens real-time medical drama for Sky 1 ". The Guardian.
- "Lennie James to lead cast of Sky1's Critical". Televisual.
- Billen, Andrew (25 February 2015). "TV Review: Critical; Immigration Street". The Times.
- Jones, Ellen E. (25 February 2015). "Critical, Sky1 - TV Review". The Independent.
- Wollaston, Sam (25 February 2015). "Last Night's TV". The Guardian.
- Hogan, Michael (25 February 2015). "Critical episode 1 review". The Telegraph.
- Harrison, Bernice (28 February 2015). "Critical needs a dose of the emotion shown by Grey's Anatomy". Irish Times.
- McKay, Alastair (27 February 2015). "Catch-up TV". London Evening Standard.
- Purcell, Charles (July 23, 2015). "NEW THIS WEEK (Jul 27): I Am Cait, Village Vets Australia, Critical, Atlantis, Ipswich V8s & more". The Green Room. Archived from the original on 25 July 2015. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "Line of Duty's Lennie James to star in Sky1 Jed Mercurio drama ". The Guardian.
- "Sky announces real-time '24-style' medical drama Critical". Whats on TV. 27 January 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Critical coming to Sky 1! Is this the lovechild of ER and 24? Lennie James stars in “real-time” drama!". Unreality Primetime.
- Pyke, Chris (30 April 2014). "Watch: Kim's Critical new medical drama from Line of Duty team". Wales Online. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Hunt, Debs (27 January 2014). "Lennie James leads cast of Sky 1 medical drama 'Critical'". Inside Media Track. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Weekly Top 10 Programmes". BARB. Retrieved 26 February 2015.