Cover art it is either an artwork as illustration or photograph on the outside of a published product such as a book (often on a dust jacket), magazine, comic book, video game (box art), DVD, CD, videotape, or music album (album art). The art has a primarily commercial function, i.e. to promote the product it is displayed on, but can also have an aesthetic function, and may be artistically connected to the product, such as with art by the creator of the product.
Album cover art
Album cover art is artwork created for a music album. Iconic album cover art includes Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King, The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Abbey Road and their "White Album" among others. Albums can have cover art created by the musician, as with Joni Mitchell's Clouds, or by an associated musician, such as Bob Dylan's artwork for the cover of Music From Big Pink, by The Band, Dylan's backup band's first album. Artists known for their album cover art include Alex Steinweiss, an early pioneer in album cover art, Roger Dean, and the Hipgnosis studio. Some album art may cause controversy because of nudity, offending churches, trademark or others. There have been numerous books documenting album cover art, particularly rock and jazz album covers. Alex Steinweiss was an art director and graphic designer who brought custom artwork to record album covers and invented the first packaging for long-playing records.
Whether printed on the dust jacket of a hardcover book, or on the cover of a paperback, book cover art has had books written on the subject, and numerous artists have become noted for their book cover art, including Richard M. Powers and Chip Kidd.
Popular music scores (early 20th century)
Sheet music cover artists include Frederick S. Manning, William Austin Starmer, and Frederick Waite Starmer, all three of whom worked for Jerome H. Remick. Other prolific artists included Albert Wilfred Barbelle, André De Takacs, and Gene Buck.
- Ivory book cover with scenes from the life of Christ circa 800 AD
- Illustration to an edition of Kipling's A song of the English (1909)
- Cover of Amazing Man Comics 22 (May, 1941).Art by Paul Gustavson.
- Gentleman Jim Corbett and John L. Sullivan at Olympic Club, New Orleans
- Cover art for Vanity Fair magazine
- Skater with scarf. January 1916 Vanity Fair cover by Ethel Caroline Rundquist.
- Cover of the pulp magazine The Spider (April 1934, vol. 2, no. 3)
- LIFE magazine, Time Inc., Official U. S. Army Photo in cover
- Album cover for The Beatles' "White Album", 1968
- Book cover for Uezdnoe, by Yevgeny Zamyatin, 1916
- Book cover for The Real Mother Goose, 1916, Blanche Fisher Wright, illustrator
- Comic book cover for Mister Mystery #1
- Cover for (the) Billboard Magazine's tenth anniversary edition, 1904
- "Clouds". JoniMitchell.com. Les Irvin. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Heller, Steven, "Alex Steinweiss, Originator of Artistic Album Covers, Dies at 94," New York Times, July 19, 2011
- "The Blues: Album Cover Art", Chronicle Books, 1996
- 1000 Record Covers, Michael Ochs, Taschen Publications, 2005
- Media related to Cover art at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Comic book covers at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Book covers at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Magazines at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to DVD covers at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Sheet music covers at Wikimedia Commons