Schiffer in 2009
25 August 1970|
Rheinberg, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
|Residence||Coldham Hall, Stanningfield, Suffolk, England|
|Spouse(s)||Matthew Vaughn (m. 2002)|
|Partner(s)||David Copperfield (1994–1999)|
Claudia Schiffer (German pronunciation: [ˈklaʊ̯dɪa ˈʃɪfɐ]; born 25 August 1970) is a German model, actress and fashion designer. She rose to fame in the early 1990s as one of the world's most successful models. In her early career, she was compared to Brigitte Bardot. She has appeared on more than 1000 magazine covers and holds the record for the model with the most magazine covers, listed in the Guinness Book of World Records. In 2002, Forbes estimated her net worth to be around US$55 million (£38 million).
Claudia Schiffer was born in Rheinberg, a small town 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) northwest of Duisburg, on 25 August 1970 to Gudrun and Heinz Schiffer, a lawyer. She has two brothers, Stefan and Andreas, and one sister, Ann Carolin. Schiffer is fluent in three languages – German, English and French.
Schiffer originally aspired to become a lawyer and used to work in her father's law firm. In October 1987, at age 17, she was spotted in a nightclub in Düsseldorf by Michel Levaton, the head of Metropolitan Model Agency, and was signed to the agency as a model. Shortly after this, she met Patrick Lafontaine at a beach resort, who then saw her connected with Elite Model Management. After leaving high school, Schiffer flew to Paris for a trial photo shoot, and subsequently appeared on the cover of Elle. In the early 1990s, she starred in campaigns for Guess?. Guess? co-founder Paul Marciano said in E! Forbes Top 15 Supermodel Beauties Who Made Bank, "Guess? name became really much more known around the world because [of] Claudia". After several other magazine appearances including the cover of British Vogue, shot by Herb Ritts, Schiffer was selected by Karl Lagerfeld to become the new face of Chanel. In May 1997, Schiffer was featured on the cover and in the pictorial of Playboy.
Schiffer appeared on the November 1999 millennium cover of Vogue as one of the "Modern Muses". Named one of the most beautiful women in the world, her ability to appeal to a global audience assured an internationally successful career spanning over 25 years. Other magazines Schiffer has appeared on the covers of include Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, People, Harper's Bazaar, Elle, Cosmopolitan and Time. Schiffer has walked in fashion shows for numerous fashion houses, including Versace, Karl Lagerfeld, Chloé, Yves Saint Laurent, Christian Dior, Fendi, Michael Kors, Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren, Balmain, Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Valentino. She has appeared in advertising campaigns for Chanel, Versace, Balmain, Giorgio Armani, Karl Lagerfeld, Dom Pérignon, Alberta Ferretti, Bulgari, Chloé, Escada, Blumarine, Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, Max Mara, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Oscar de la Renta, Ralph Lauren, Emporio Armani, Liz Claiborne, Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, Marc Jacobs, Guess?, Salvatore Ferragamo, Neiman Marcus, Gap, Dillard's, Saks Fifth Avenue, L'Oréal, Revlon, Intergaz and Pepsi. As well as endorsing luxury brands, Schiffer has appeared as the face of high street retailers including Mango and Accessorize, and had her ears pierced for the first time specially for the 2006 Autumn/Winter Accessorize campaign. From her appearances in a 1998 Citroën advertisement she allegedly earned £3 million. Schiffer still holds a contract with L'Oréal and is one of their longest standing ambassadors.
Schiffer launched her eponymous cashmere collection during Paris Fashion Week in March 2011. The Autumn–Winter 2011 season saw her fashion design debut and was followed by a Spring–Summer 2012 collection.
Acting and media
Schiffer made her film debut in the children's movie Richie Rich (1994), and then starred opposite Dennis Hopper and Matthew Modine in The Blackout (1997). She then went on to appear in Friends & Lovers, Black and White (both 1999), In Pursuit, Life Without Dick (both 2001), and Love Actually (2003) in a semi-cameo role. Films in which Schiffer has made cameo appearances include Ben Stiller's Zoolander (2001).
Schiffer has appeared on several talk shows such as The Oprah Winfrey Show, Larry King Live, Late Show with David Letterman, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, The Jonathan Ross Show, and sitcoms Dharma & Greg and Arrested Development. She made a cameo appearance in the music video for Bon Jovi's "Say It Isn't So" in 2000, and appeared in the music video for Comic Relief's 2001 charity single, Westlife's "Uptown Girl".
Schiffer began her involvement with UNICEF by becoming a member of the Arts & Entertainment Support Committee, and is currently a UK Goodwill Ambassador for the organization. Schiffer was also a spokesman for Make Poverty History, and appeared in their "Click" campaign. In July 2005, she appeared as a presenter at both the Berlin and Edinburgh Live 8 concerts.
Schiffer has released four exercise videos, entitled Claudia Schiffer's Perfectly Fit, which reached the best seller list. Schiffer has hosted the French Fashion Awards and the World Music Awards in Monaco.
Along with fellow models Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, and Elle Macpherson, Schiffer was joint owner of a chain of restaurants called the Fashion Café in 1995. Schiffer helped present and carry the trophy with Pelé during the opening ceremonies at the 2006 World Cup. She also presented Prince William with a polo trophy in 2002.
In 1993, at a Berlin celebrity gala, Schiffer met magician David Copperfield when he brought her on stage to participate in a mind reading act and in his flying illusion, and in they became engaged in January 1994. During this engagement, Schiffer sometimes appeared on stage with Copperfield to act as his special guest assistant in illusions including being levitated, guillotined and sawn in half. She also appeared alongside Copperfield in David Copperfield: 15 Years of Magic, a 1994 documentary in which she played the role of a reporter interviewing him, and at the end of which they reprised their performance of the flying illusion. In September 1999, they announced they had ended their relationship, citing work schedules. In 1997, Copperfield and Schiffer both sued Paris Match after the magazine claimed their relationship was a sham, that Schiffer "[was] paid for pretending to be Copperfield's fiancée and [didn't] even like him". In 1999, Schiffer won an undisclosed sum and a retraction from Paris Match when a French court ruled that the magazine's story was false. Copperfield's publicist confirmed that while Schiffer had a contract to appear in the audience at Copperfield's show in Berlin where they met, she was not under contract to be his "consort".
Following her break-up with Copperfield, Schiffer had a short relationship with art dealer and Green Shield Stamps heir Tim Jefferies until 2000. On 25 May 2002, she married film director Matthew Vaughn in Suffolk. Schiffer and Vaughn have three children: son Caspar Matthew (born 30 January 2003) and daughters Clementine Poppy (born 11 November 2004) and Cosima Violet (born 14 May 2010).
In 2002, an Italian kitchen porter was arrested after making nine visits to Schiffer's £5 million Coldham Hall mansion near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, attempting to see her. Charges against him were dropped however, as he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act. He believed that the Pope had told him to marry Schiffer. In 2004, a Canadian man was accused of harassing Schiffer, also at her mansion in Suffolk. He also repeatedly left letters at her home. In 2006, Schiffer and her husband were twice spoken to by policemen from the local Suffolk force after a number of incidents involving their two dogs, an Irish wolfhound and a German shepherd, and local people using the public footpath across the grounds of their Coldham Hall home. These included severely mauling a Jack Russell being walked on the footpath, chasing deer on the estate, intimidating people using the footpath, and biting one of the local postmen.
|1994||Richie Rich||Herself as an aerobics instructor|
|1994||Prêt-à-Porter||Herself||American title Ready to Wear|
|1996||Perfectly Fit||none||Fitness program by Claudia Schiffer|
|1999||Desperate But Not Serious||Gigi||USA DVD release titled Reckless + Wild|
|1999||Friends & Lovers||Carla|
|1999||Black and White||Greta|
|2000||Chain Of Fools||Herself|
|2001||In Pursuit||Catherine Wells||USA DVD release titled Rules of the Game|
|2002||666 – Traue keinem, mit dem Du schläfst!||Herself||English title 666: In Bed with the Devil|
|2002||Life Without Dick||Mary|
Appearances in documentaries
|1993||Noche de tu vida, La|
|1994||David Copperfield: 15 Years of Magic|
|1995||Die schönsten Frauen der Welt – Claudia Schiffer|
|1995||Around Claudia Schiffer|
|1996||68th Annual Academy Awards|
|1997||Happy Birthday Elizabeth: A Celebration of Life|
|1997||An Audience with Elton John|
|1997||1997 VH1 Fashion Awards|
|2000||The Sound of Claudia Schiffer|
- "". Stylist. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "BEAUTY; Tropical Tresses". The New York Times. 5 January 1992. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "10 Minutes with Claudia Schiffer". Glamour. 15 January 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Profit Models - Forbes". Forbes. 20 March 2000. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Claudia Schiffer [Fashion Wiki]". Fashion Encyclopedia. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Claudia Schiffer - Guinness record". YouTube. 18 March 2007. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Biography". Ask Men. Retrieved 19 June 2007.
- "Claudia Schiffer: Biography". MSN. Retrieved 12 June 2007.
- "". Vogue. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Amazon.com: Patrick Lafontaine: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle".
- "Finding My Way: A survival guide for people working in a competitive industry whose lives are filled with travel, sport and socializing – The Complete Guide to Natural Healing".
- Expert, Stacey Chillemi Health; Writer; Author (13 July 2016). "Finding My Way: A survival guide for people working in a competitive industry whose lives are filled with travel, sport and socializing".
- Expert, Stacey Chillemi Health; Writer; Author (1 August 2016). "How To Lose Weight: Effective Weight Loss Tips (Book Review)".
- Mau, Dhani (28 March 2012). "Over 20 Years Later, Claudia Schiffer Is a Guess Girl Again - Fashionista". Fashionista. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "". Vogue cover. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- shrekolina (31 July 2007). "Claudia Schiffer - Chanel" – via YouTube.
- "Playboy Magazine, May 1997 w/ Claudia Schiffer on the Cover". Amazon.com. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- Lee, Helen (11 April 2007). "Vogue's 'World's Next Top Models' cover". SassyBella.com. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "". Fab Sugar. Retrieved 13 June 2007.
- Style File: Claudia Schiffer (image #18). Vogue. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Claudia Schiffer Vogue. Retrieved 31 March 2012. Archived 5 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Claudia Schiffer Profile in the FMD database. Retrieved 10 June 2008.
- Designed to delight India Today, 26 November 2007. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "". Telegraph. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- Krupnick, Ellie (28 March 2012). "PHOTOS: Claudia Schiffer Returns To Guess For 30th Anniversary". Huffington Post.
- "". Vogue. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- Style File: Claudia Schiffer (image #7). Vogue. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- Sophie Dahl and Jamie Cullum's secret wedding: 10. Claudia Schiffer and David Copperfield The Independent. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- David Copperfield Biography Ask Men. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "CANOE – JAM! – Schiffer's big shift". jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved May 20, 2009.
It was our work schedules that ended the relationship.
- "Fairytale romance that began with a cunning illusion – The Independent". The Independent. London. 11 July 1997. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
The French magazine Paris Match claims that the meeting was a carefully calculated stunt, to boost Ms Schiffer's profile in the US and Copperfield's career in Europe. "It was just a plot to dupe their loyal fans, and we've got the contracts to prove it," said the magazine.
- Luscombe, Belinda (4 August 1997). "Copperfield V. Paris Match". Time Magazine. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
The suit states that Paris Match added that the supermodel now gets paid for pretending to be Copperfield's fiancée and doesn't even like him.
- "Shedding Light: Copperfield talks candidly about his profession". Las Vegas Review Journal. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
Last year Copperfield slapped a $30 million lawsuit on Paris-Match magazine that alleged in a story that the Copperfield-Schiffer relationship was mere illusion; little more than a business deal to enhance both their careers.
- Schiffer Boots British Fiance ABC News. 8 November 2000. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Rush, George; Molloy, Joanna; Malkin, Marc S (29 August 1999). "Copperfield's Claudia Clone". Daily News. New York. Archived from the original on 22 June 2012. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
They won an undisclosed sum and a retraction from Paris Match in January when they sued the magazine for $30 million for claiming their relationship was a sham.
- "A Lift Out of Life". People. 9 April 1999. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
Schiffer responded by filing a $30 million lawsuit in France. In 1999 a French court declared the story false and defamatory and ordered Paris Match to pay undisclosed damages.
- "Love, Honor and Portray". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 16 July 1997. Retrieved 12 June 2009.
Copperfield's publicist said he and Schiffer had contracts to do the 1993 show, but "there is no contract that states Claudia is there as some sort of consort".
- Claudia Schiffer Hello. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Serial celebrity model-daters: Tim Jefferies Telegraph. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Baby on Board". Chicago Tribune. November 12, 2004. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- hellomagazine.com. "Claudia Schiffer names new baby daughter - Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com".
- "Celebrity couple's love for Suffolk". East Anglian Daily Times. Retrieved 17 March 2011.
- "Supermodel stalker to be deported". BBC News. Retrieved 13 June 2007.
- "Case dropped against Sardinian accused of stalking Schiffer". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 14 June 2007.
- "Claudia Schiffer is plagued by second stalker". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 14 June 2007.
- Schiffer's huge dogs 'are terrifying our village'. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- Police warn Schiffer over dog attacks. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Claudia Schiffer.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Claudia Schiffer|
- Official website
- Claudia Schiffer at the Fashion Model Directory
- Claudia Schiffer at the Internet Movie Database