|Studio album by The Chipmunks|
Ross Bagdasarian, Jr.
|The Chipmunks chronology|
Chipmunk Rock is a children's album by Alvin and the Chipmunks featuring covers of various rock hits, mostly from the late 1970s and early 1980s, plus one original tune. The album is currently not available on CD.
Chipmunk Rock starts off with the Chipmunks practicing the song "Down by the Old Mill Stream" for a performance at the local PTA. David Seville enjoys what he hears and enthusiastically says "Sounds great. The PTA is just gonna love it, fellas!" Dave then departs and cautiously warns, "and remember: none of that rock and roll business." Alvin reassures the slightly skeptical father "Wouldn't think of it, Dave." Once Dave is out the door, Alvin quietly says "Hit it, fellas!" and then breaks into a rousing rendition of Kim Carnes' "Bette Davis Eyes."
Nine additional songs follow, with Theodore finally asking the boys, "What should we sing next?" Simon spots Dave coming up the driveway as Alvin says "How about 'Calling All Girls'?" The boys then resume singing "Down by the Old Mill Stream" just in time for Dave to walk in on them.
- Prelude: Dave and the Boys - "Down by the Old Mill Stream" - 0:31
- "Bette Davis Eyes" (Kim Carnes) - 3:02
- "Jessie's Girl" (a.k.a. "Jessie's Squirrel") (Rick Springfield) - 3:12
- "Take a Chance on Me" (ABBA) - 3:35
- "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" (Pat Benatar) - 2:48
- "Leader of the Pack" (The Shangri-Las) - 3:23
- "Queen of Hearts" (Juice Newton) - 3:17
- "Whip It" (Devo) - 2:43
- "Heartbreaker" (Pat Benatar) - 3:19
- "Hold on Tight" (ELO) - 2:52
- "Losing You (I Really Wanna Lose You)" (original song) - 3:32
- Epilogue: Dave and the Boys - "Down by the Old Mill Stream" - 0:23
The trio name-check the not-yet-created Chipettes in the song "Leader of the Pack," when Alvin balks at the idea of singing what he deems "a girl's song!" Theodore then jokes "So? You've never heard of the Chipettes?" Two years after the release of Chipmunk Rock, The Chipettes would come to be, and made their debut on the 1984 album Songs from Our TV Shows.