|Directed by||Andrew Gurland|
A. J. Dix
|Written by||Andrew Gurland|
Mary Tyler Moore
|Music by||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Distributed by||New Line Cinema|
Cheats is a 2002 comedy about four friends that have been cheating their way through high school, and have to face new challenges to avoid getting caught before going to college. The lead roles are Trevor Fehrman, Matthew Lawrence, and Mary Tyler Moore.
The original name of the movie was Cheaters but was thought to be confused with the movie Cheaters starring Jeff Daniels. The real Applebee refused to take part in the 18 minute DVD special feature documentary based on the actual Cheats, and as such his name had to be censored whenever used.
While other kids at the elite North Point Academy spend countless hours studying, Handsome Davis sees it as nothing more than a system of control over your mind. That's why Handsome and his three best friends Sammy, Victor and the cribsheet genius Applebee have banded together and found ways to cheat on their tests all through their school years. Everything had been going along smoothly until the gang entered their final year of high school and the stakes were upped by the school's principal, Mrs. Stark. If they get caught cheating again Stark will make a note in their permanent records and possibly kill their chances of getting into college. But can Handsome convince his pals to pull off one last, great cheat with him and outsmarting Stark and the system, even if it means possibly destroying their friendships?
- Trevor Fehrman as Handsome Davis
- Elden Henson as Sammy Green
- Matthew Lawrence as Victor Barone
- Martin Starr as Jonathan Applebee
- Mary Tyler Moore as Mrs. Stark, Principal North Point Academy
- Maggie Lawson as Julie Merkel
- Babs Chula as Mrs. Rosengarden (as Babz Chula)
- David Krumholtz as Evan Rosengarden
- Dixon Cohee as Greedy Herman
- Griffin Dunne as Mr. Davis, Handsome's Father
- Kathryn Anderson as 2nd Grade Teacher
- Brett Kelly as Young Sammy
- Casey Dubois as Handsome (2nd Grade / Kindergarten)
- Leonie Haworth as Julie (2nd Grade)