Cartoon Network (Canada)
|Launched||July 4, 2012|
Corus Entertainment |
(Teletoon Canada Inc.)
(branding licensed from Time Warner)
|Slogan||Are You CN What We're Sayin'?|
Teletoon Retro |
(Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Rogers Cable)
Disney La Chaîne
|Website||Cartoon Network Canada|
|Bell TV||Channel 564 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 536 (SD), Channel 077 (HD)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant||Channel 507 (HD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||
Channel 567 (SD)|
Channel 1567 (HD)
Channel 157 (SD)|
Channel 1157 (HD)
Channel 9627 (SD)|
Channel 627 (HD)
Channel 46 (SD)|
Channel 346 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 64 (SD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 151 (SD)|
Cartoon Network is a Canadian English-language Category B specialty channel based on the U.S. cable network Cartoon Network, which broadcasts animated programming aimed at children and teens, and its late night counterpart, Adult Swim, which targets young adults. The channel is owned by Corus Entertainment, with the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim brands in use through a licensing agreement with Time Warner.
The channel is available in standard definition and high definition, and has two traditional Eastern and Pacific feed schedules. As of September 2015, it is available in 5 million households and carried by Cogeco, EastLink, SaskTel, Rogers Cable, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Aliant TV, Optik TV, Vidéotron, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct.
After obtaining a license from the CRTC in November 2011 for the service Teletoon Kapow, Teletoon Canada Inc. (originally a joint-venture of Astral Media and Corus Entertainment) announced in February 2012 the launch of Cartoon Network and the programming block Adult Swim in Canada. The channel has launched in July 4, 2012. In preparation, programming blocks were introduced to Teletoon and Teletoon Retro.
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's 50% ownership interest in Teletoon Canada (owner of Teletoon, Télétoon, Teletoon Retro, Télétoon Rétro, and Cartoon Network). The purchase was in relation to Bell Media's pending takeover of Astral (which had earlier been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012, but was restructured to allow the sale of certain Astral Media properties in order to allow the purchase to clear regulatory hurdles).
Corus's purchase was cleared by the Competition Bureau two weeks later on March 18. On December 20, 2013, the CRTC approved Corus's full ownership of Teletoon Canada and it was purchased by Corus on January 1, 2014. The channel continues to be owned by Teletoon Canada, now wholly owned by Corus Entertainment under its Corus Kids division.
In August 2015, internal sources at Corus reported that Cartoon Network would be moved to the channel allotments of Teletoon Retro, which would shut down on September 1, 2015. It was stated that this change would enable the channel to have wider distribution, as Teletoon Retro was carried by more providers than Cartoon Network, specifically Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Rogers Cable. Legally, as of September 1, 2015, Cartoon Network now operates under the auspices of Teletoon Retro's Category B license. The original Cartoon Network license was mothballed, and returned to the CRTC on October 2, 2015.
This a list of programs being broadcast regularly as of September 2016.
Programming from Cartoon Network (U.S.)
- Adventure Time
- The Amazing World of Gumball
- Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Dexter's Laboratory
- Ed, Edd 'n Eddy
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- Johnny Bravo
- The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
- The Powerpuff Girls (2016 TV series)
- Regular Show
- Steven Universe
- Teen Titans Go!
- Uncle Grandpa
- We Bare Bears
Programming from Teletoon
- The Day My Butt Went Psycho!
- Packages from Planet X
- Total Drama
- Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race
Other acquired Programming
This is a list of past programming no longer regularly aired.
Programming from Cartoon Network (U.S.)
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold
- Ben 10
- Ben 10: Alien Force
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
- Ben 10: Omniverse
- Beware the Batman
- Camp Lazlo
- Codename: Kids Next Door
- DC Nation Shorts
- Destroy Build Destroy
- Dude, What Would Happen
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
- Generator Rex
- Green Lantern: The Animated Series
- The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange
- Incredible Crew
- Level Up
- Long Live the Royals
- Mad: The Animated Series
- My Gym Partner's A Monkey
- Over the Garden Wall
- The Powerpuff Girls (Original series)
- Secret Mountain Fort Awesome
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- Young Justice
Programming from Teletoon
- Atomic Betty
- Best Ed
- Chop Socky Chooks
- Class of the Titans
- Di-Gata Defenders
- Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5
- Johnny Test
- Planet Sketch
- World of Quest
While the Canadian version of Adult Swim carries most of the original programing that airs on its U.S counterpart, several shows (including Childrens Hospital and Newsreaders) and more recent series are noticeably absent. Furthermore, the channel as a whole does not carry Toonami, the action-oriented programming block and branding seen internationally.
- Jeremy Dickson (2014-02-10). "Corus unveils Teletoon integration plan". Kidscreen. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- CNW TELETOON Canada Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. Bring Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canada in 2012 Teletoon Canada Inc. press release 2012-02-02
- "Corus' Cartoon Network Expands Distribution and Announces Fall Schedule" (Press release). Broadcaster Magazine. September 3, 2015. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "Check it: Cartoon Network to launch in Canada - July 4, 2012".
- Wilford, Denette (February 2, 2012). "Cartoon Network, Adult Swim Coming To Canada". Huffington Post. Retrieved February 3, 2012. External link in
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- "Competition Bureau clears Corus acquisition of Astral assets". The Globe and Mail. The Canadian Press. 2013-03-18. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Vessing, Etan (2013-12-20). "Corus/Teletoon Deal Approved by CRTC". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corusent.com. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Ownership Chart 32b" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- O'Brien, Greg (11 August 2015). "Corus to shutter Teletoon Retro in favour of Cartoon Network.". CARTT. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Corus Entertainment's Cartoon Network Expands Distribution to Over 5 Million Subscribers" (Press release). Toronto: Corus Entertainment. September 3, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-451". CRTC. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- "Corus ownership chart" (PDF). CRTC. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- "See What's On TV". Cartoon Network. Archived from the original on September 12, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Fresh TV - The Ridonculous Team Contest". Fresh TV.
- "Childrens Hospital on MUCH". Archived from the original on 2014-04-01. Retrieved 2014-05-14.