From left to right: Carl, Rex, and C2.
|Also known as||Carl Squared|
|Directed by||William Speers|
|Theme music composer||Pure West|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||65 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Portfolio Entertainment|
|Original release||August 7, 2005 – January 23, 2011|
Carl² (Carl Squared) is a Canadian animated series which explores what would happen if a teenager had a clone. The concept of the cartoon is a mixture of biological studies and normal teenage life.
Carl Crashman is a lazy 14-year-old who is only good at one thing: slacking. After a rough day and being tired of constantly doing things he hated, he was blogging on the Internet and complaining about his life when he accidentally ordered a clone from a spam e-mail using his fingerprint, a yearbook photo and a scabby band-aid; Carl is shocked when an online cloning company sends him an exact clone of himself in a box. Carl names him C2. Even though C2 looks like Carl, talks like him (albeit with a higher-pitched voice), and walks like him, C2 is more ambitious, hard-working, and charming, much to Carl's advantage. Since C2 arrived, Carl has been slacking off a lot more. However, C2 often does the opposite to what Carl wants. Carl decides to keep C2 a secret from everyone else except his best friend Jamie James.
The show's theme song depicts the initial arrival of C2 at Carl's house. There are two different versions of the theme songs, each version having a different opening sequence and slightly different lyrics. As of Season 2, the opening sequence includes more on how C2 was created in the cloning lab.
Carl Crashman is a lazy, stereotypical teenager who has mastered the art of slacking off and finding ways not to spend time with his family. His hobbies include reading comic books, using his computer, playing video games, verbally blogging online, and skateboarding. Carl likes to spend time with his best friend Jamie and girlfriend Skye. He is somewhat obnoxious and often careless and insensitive, much to Skye's dismay.
Although Carl is often frustrated with C2, it has been proven (in the episode Clone Come Home) that without C2, his life would be a nauseating, never-ending cycle and that Carl would be totally lost without him. In the episode Clone Scene Investigations, Mr. Agar commented that Carl was "the poster boy for slackers everywhere".
In Season 1, Carl wears an orange shirt, light blue jeans, and white bouncers. As of Season 2, Carl wears a brown shirt, dark blue jeans, and green and white bouncers.
He is voiced by Stuart Stone.
C2 looks like Carl, sounds like Carl (with a higher-pitched voice), and walks like Carl. As an identical clone of Carl, he passes as Carl. Whenever Carl doesn’t want to do something, C2 is the one who is there to substitute. He's much sweeter and more naive than his DNA donor, however, and also much more motivated. He enjoys being at Carl’s service, and fails to see that Carl allows him to go to school, not as a favor, but to prevent himself from having to exert any kind of effort.
Not only does he have 95% of Carl’s DNA but also 5% of him is from Rex (because the dog apparently contaminated the sample), which is probably why he enjoys catching Frisbees in his mouth and eating dog treats. C2 has two webbed toes together, unlike Carl.
C2 wears the same clothing as Carl throughout the show.
He is also voiced by Stuart Stone.
Carl’s best friend who is the only other person to know about C2. He always carries around a camcorder, shooting random movies for his documentaries, especially Carl’s skateboarding moves. He talks gangster most of the time, such as, "What up with your fine self?". Jamie goes to great lengths to keep C2 a secret for Carl, proving that he is truly Carl's best friend.
In Season 1, he wears a blue visor, a blue T-shirt over his white shirt, and purple pants. As of Season 2, he wears a flipped white visor, a yellow T-shirt, and black pants.
He is voiced by Jordan Francis.
Skye Flower Blue
Carl’s vegetarian girlfriend who has a dream to save nature itself. She always makes fundraisers for stray animals and tries to raise awareness of nature, which Carl is not interested in, but he absolutely adores her. She is also an expert of protesting. Having a sweet and generous heart, she is a sensitive person with a heart of gold.
In Season 1, she wears orange over her white shirt. As of Season 2, she wears green along with a matching headband.
She is voiced by Bryn McAuley.
The Crashman family
- Chloe Crashman – Carl’s 16-year-old sister. As a Goth, she always likes to think of negative things and has dark death parties in the cemetery. She hates anything sweet and she always likes to ignore her family. She has a boyfriend, Damien. In some instances, it is shown that Chloe and her brother have a love–hate relationship. In Season 2, her appearance appears to be more Gothic than in previous seasons. Her hair is now combed down shoulder length and she wears black over a striped black and white T-shirt. When she was sick, she wore a blood red and black robe. Her eyes now seem darker than usual. She is voiced by Emily Hampshire.
- Janet Crashman – A psychiatrist and mother to Carl and Chloe. She quit her job as a psychiatrist upon seeing how her children were acting: Chloe seemed to have a really weird, dark personality and Carl had two separate personalities (or Multiple Personality Disorder). Janet is a real bother to Carl as she works hard to find out why Carl acts like two Carls. Carl often refers to her and Barney Crashman as the "rents" and her as "Dr. Mom", while C2 calls her "mommy". She is voiced by Kathy Laskey.
- Barney Crashman – The father of Carl and Chloe. He specializes in having ideas in making new things such as vegetable bacon and the notorious "Breakfast Dispenser". He also likes to fix things in the kitchen. Unfortunately, his efforts alone aren't enough to succeed. He is voiced by Rick Roberts.
- Rex – Carl's pet dog, Rex is a small beagle who is not really paid much attention to. C2 has 5% of his DNA which is probably why C2 enjoys playing with Rex and shares dog food with him.
- Damien – Chloe’s boyfriend and a loyal companion. He always hangs out with Chloe and is seen doing dark rituals with her. However, the problem is, he is afraid of the dark. He is also very talented at shooting hoops and joins the basketball team in one episode. While sharing the same passions than Chloe, his language is more refined, and an episode even hints that he may be interested in classical music. In Season 1, he has red hair and wears a purple shirt inside his black jacket. Damien also shows interest in dancing, much to Chloe's dismay. In Season 2, he has blue hair and wears a black shirt with a skull on it. He is voiced by Matthew Ferguson.
- Mr. Agar – Carl’s homeroom teacher. He detests Carl and always tries to look for a reason to get him into trouble. Whenever Carl doesn’t fail on a test or he successfully passes an assignment, Mr. Agar always accuses Carl of cheating. He also had Carl’s sister, Chloe, as a student (which might be a possible explanation as to why he dislikes Carl). He expressed (various times) his irritation and dislike of the Crashman bloodline and he is smart. He is voiced by Paul Pogue.
- Lorna Gail Lookman – Carl’s nosy next door neighbor who has a hobby of looking into Carl’s room with her binoculars. She likes Carl and wants to be his future wife. Her ideal day would be when Carl finally breaks up with Skye. Easily put, she is obsessed with Carl, even hiding lipstick-marked pictures of him in her closet. She is considered to be his devoted stalker. In Season 1, she is seen wearing a pink sweater over a white shirt. In Season 2, she now wears something that looks like a school uniform: a blue jacket over a white shirt and an olive-coloured tie. She is voiced by Samantha Espie.
- Principal Powers – The principal of Carl and Chloe's high school and he is the Black guy with glasses. He keeps his eyes peeled for trouble especially on trouble makers. His voice is often heard on the announcements and gives out serious punishment to trouble makers. He is very serious about his job and following the rules in the school. He is voiced by Martin Roach.
- Carl and Skye – Carl absolutely adores Skye and Skye's passion is to figure out her boyfriend. The couple rarely shares any common interests (except for each other), but they simply have a crush on each other. She is a major tree hugger, while he may be a slacker who is addicted to the computer and video games. But there is also a sweet sensitive side to him which always wins over.
- Chloe and Damien – Chloe and Damien are both Goth, but it has been hinted that Damien is only Goth because he wants to be with Chloe. It has always been hinted that Damien loves Chloe a lot and would do practically anything to stay with her. Their relationship is somewhat similar to Carl and Skye's. While the couple lack thought in each other's interests, they would sacrifice their lack of interest for the person they love.
- C2 and Lorna – In several episodes, C2 was considered to be Lorna's love interest. The problem is, Lorna is Carl's most devoted stalker and Carl already has Skye. While this would seem like forbidden love, C2 shows no sign of giving up anytime soon.
The show is divided into 4 seasons of 13 episodes each, with the exception of the first one, which includes 26 episodes. A number of episodes are specials and are not regularly aired; these are indicated.
There are 2 two-part episodes in the show, one in Season 2 and the other in Season 4. The Season 2 one was made as a contest; after the first part of the episode, Teletoon viewers were asked to vote online and by text messaging to determine who would be the winner out of the remaining 3 contestants, Carl, Jamie, and Skye. The winner was announced in the second part of the episode. The Season 4 one was made as a mystery; after the first part of the episode, Teletoon viewers were asked to go to the show's website and try to solve it. The solution was announced in the second part of the episode.
|1||26||August 7, 2005||August 7, 2006|
|2||13||January 3, 2007||March 18, 2007|
|3||13||June 3, 2007||August 26, 2007|
|4||13||October 3, 2010||January 23, 2011|
|Series #||Season #||Title||Written by||Original airdate (Teletoon)|
|1||1||"The Art of Being Carl"||Louise Moon and Eva Almos||August 7, 2005|
|In response to Skye's nearing birthday, Carl has C2 find a job to make some money for a present. Little does Carl know that C2's new job is being a nude model at an art school. Things go from bad to worse after Carl finds that Skye's party will take place next to the art school where a nude Carl painting hangs.|
|2||2||"Carl, True or False"||Louise Moon and Eva Almos||September 3, 2005|
|Carl gets accused of cheating on a Biology test after C2 gets him a 105%.|
|3||3||"Paging Dr. Carl"||Ken Cuperus||September 11, 2005|
|C2 gets tonsillitis and has to remove them by surgery. This raises suspicion because Carl already had his tonsils removed years ago. Carl's secret is in risk of getting found out and Carl has to play smart in order to stop it.|
|4||4||"Carl the Magnificent"||Tim Burns||September 18, 2005|
|C2 invites Shane, Carl’s cousin and his family to stay at his house. Carl strongly hates Shane, especially because of the magic tricks he tries on Carl. To get rid of him, Carl starts a magical war, but he’s not sure if he can win.|
|5||5||"Tree to Be"||Jennifer Cowan and Eva Almos||September 25, 2005|
|Carl has a choice between helping Skye save a tree or entering a skateboarding contest. He tells C2 to go help Skye but nothing turns out as Carl wanted.|
|6||6||"A Scare to Remember"||Paul Pogue||October 22, 2005|
Carl is forced to hand out candy for Halloween, but makes use of C2 to handle it for him so that he can get to Skye's party. Unfortunately, C2 believes that everything is free on Halloween and ends up helping a burglar (mistaking him for a trick-or-treater) rob a store! Mr. Agar spots him, and he's about to tell the police. Will Carl escape the arrest AND save C2 from the burglar in the house all in one night before the 'rents get home?Note: Halloween special
|7||7||"A Tale of Two Carls"||Eva Almos||October 15, 2005|
When Carl wants to ask his dream girl, Skye, to 'hang on a full time basis,' he realizes that his cocky ways 'don't fly,' where C2 has a natural sensitivity for romance. Carl sends C2 to win Skye over, but at the end of the day Carl realizes that Skye likes him for 'who he is' and although C2 attracted Skye initially, it is Carl she stays around for.Note: Pilot
|8||8||"Carl of the Wild"||Louise Moon||November 20, 2005|
|Distracted by a hockey game, Carl lets C2 sign him up for Adventure Week, but when C2 signs him up for the Eco-Survival Ordeal instead of the Ultimate Cabin Experience, Carl tries to have it both ways and winds up creating an Ultimate Ordeal|
|9||9||"Christmas Clone"||Louise Moon||December 18, 2005|
After a disaster concerning C2 making a fool out of himself while taking the annual family Christmas picture, Carl tells C2 that there is no such thing as Santa. Unfortunately, his parents think that Carl is too grown up for Christmas, so Dr. Mom returns all the gifts: NOO! While C2 runs off to search for Santa, Carl searches for C2 and he is about to learn the true meaning of Christmas.Note: Christmas special
|10||10||"Romeo and Juliet"||Howard Nemetz||January 8, 2006|
|When Carl and C2 switch out playing the lead role in the school play in Carl's attempt score a big kiss with Skye, Carl's 'stage fright' is revealed.|
|11||11||"As Seen on TV"||Kenn Scott||January 15, 2006|
|Carl tries to earn a quick hundred bucks by entering the Coolest Skateboard Video contest, but when he leaves the filming to Jamie and C2, the video exposes C2's dog-like abilities and Carl is exploited as a freak on national TV.|
|12||12||"Cry Robot"||Paul Pogue||January 22, 2006|
|Carl and Skye are teamed in a health class assignment and become partners in raising a robotic baby, but when Carl leaves the baby in C2's care, he scans every parenting book and becomes overzealous, overly protective dad. Carl has to rescue the baby and his relationship with Skye while C2 cope with his empty nest.|
|13||13||"C2 Loves Lorna"||Richard Clark||February 12, 2006|
Lorna Lookman finally finds out the way to Carl’s heart. She bargains with Carl and tells him if he goes out on a date with her, she would give him a preordered copy of Carl’s favorite game, which he dearly wants. As a back-up solution, he sends C2 on the date. However, at the end of the date, it all ends as a disaster for Carl - Skye is on the verge of breaking up with him, and C2 falls in love with Lorna.Note: Valentine's Day special
|14||14||"Carl Bullied"||Deborah Jarvis||February 8, 2006|
|C2 makes friends with some bullies in Carl’s detention, which turns Carl into their main target.|
|15||15||"Carl Scared"||Richard Clark||February 22, 2006|
|Carl let's C2 work on his science project, but when C2 buys a snake as part of the project, things become difficult for Carl, who is afraid of snakes.|
|16||16||"Replacement Carl"||Shawn Kalb||March 1, 2006|
|C2 is getting popular with Carl’s friends and slowly begins to take away his social life. Is C2 really going to replace Carl?|
|17||17||"Time to Lean, Time to Clean"||Deborah Jarvis||March 22, 2006|
|Carl starts a business after finding out that his neighbors are willing to pay him to clean their house. Word had gotten out that one of Carl's workers, C2 is good at cleaning houses. But in the end, Carl's company crashes and burns, forcing him to go out of business.|
|18||18||"Grade A Disaster"||George Westerholm||March 29, 2006|
|Thanks to the help of C2, Carl becomes a teacher's pet. Mr. Agar gives him access to the teacher's lounge where Carl touches the teacher's computer for the fun of it. On the computer, he accidentally changes everyone's report card to straight A's.|
|19||19||"Take Your Clone to Work Day"||Dave Dias||April 12, 2006|
|Barney Crashman gets a new gig at an infomercial where he would try to sell his own breakfast dispenser. However, when Carl sends C2 to the 'take your kids to work day', the owner of the infomercial company likes C2 more, forcing Barney to go off the stage of his dream job.|
|20||20||"Chad to the Bone"||Shawn Kalb||April 26, 2006|
|Chad is a new kid at Carl's school and has his eyes on Skye. Chad is a very nice, sweet, and helpful guy that would tell everyone that he has always been a good kid. Jealous that Chad is trying to take his move on Skye, Carl tries to find out anything bad about Chad. Meanwhile, Jamie tries to find out a great story to win the news anchor contest. Fortunately Carl finds out that Chad is the "Locker Thief" of the Mapleview High; eventually Chad is caught in the act by Lorna and Skye no longer cares for Chad at the end.|
|21||21||"Marshal Awe"||Doug Hadders and Adam Rotstein||May 10, 2006|
|It's basketball season at Carl's school and C2 tries to show his team spirit by disguising himself as Marshall Maple-leaf, the team's self-proclaimed mascot. Meanwhile, Chloe's boyfriend Damien learns that he has a natural talent for basketball and makes the team, but Chloe intends to see her school lose the game.|
|22||22||"Sibling Rivalry"||George Westerholm||May 24, 2006|
|After a tree crashes through their bedroom windows, Chloe and Carl must share the living room, until the repairs are done, while C2 spends the time at Jamie's house.|
|23||23||"Birthday Boys"||Ken Cuperus||June 7, 2006|
|Expecting a bland and boring party, Carl leaves C2 to be with the family on Carl's birthday, but Carl soon realizes that it's a big, super-cool surprise party.|
|24||24||"It's A Frog's Life"||Shawn Kalb||June 21, 2006|
|Carl's science class is dissecting frogs.|
|25||25||"Carl Pierced"||Dave Dias||July 5, 2006|
|Carl decides to get his tongue pierced in order to impress Skye only to remember that C2 needs to get one too or they won't be able to switch out anymore.|
|26||26||"Clone Come Home"||Ken Cuperus||July 19, 2006|
|Carl gets angry at C2 after he triggers a virus on his computer, erasing all of his files, and most importantly, his blogs. C2 calls the cloning facility and boxes himself up with a "Return to Sender" sticker to get sent back. This episode features many flashbacks from the series.|
|Series #||Season #||Title||Written by||Original airdate (Teletoon)|
|27||1||"Carl Lost"||Shawn Kalb||December 15, 2006|
|Carl and Jamie decide to go camping out in the woods and out of civilization (also in Jamie's attempt to catch Bigfoot on tape), so C2 is taking Carl's place for his family. But Carl gets lost in the scary dark woods and it's up to Jamie and C2 to save him and bring him home. Meanwhile, Chloe gets sick and demands her parents to take care of her every minute of the day.|
|28||2||"Night of the Living Clones"||Denis McGrath||May 6, 2007|
C2 has his first bad dream when eating to much Halloween candy.Note: Halloween special
|29||3||"Carl Super-Sized"||Erika Strobel||January 7, 2007|
|Thanks to C2, Carl accidentally shreds a very rare copy of a comic book, forcing Carl to either repay Steve (the store's owner) or be banned from the store. Since Carl and Chloe's parents refuse to give a raise in allowance to either of their children, they bribe them: whoever gives them his/her first paycheck gets a raise. Carl gets a job at "Buckineer Burger" (giving C2 the opportunity to work with Lorna) while Chloe runs her own version of an ice cream truck. Meanwhile, Jamie makes a new video news story: "Do Buckineer Burgers beef up your life?"|
|30||4||"Chairman of the Boarders"||George Westerholm||January 14, 2007|
|Mr. Agar got the mayor to turn the skatepark into a botanical garden! With Skye's help, Carl organizes a protest to bring back the skatepark. At first, the protest goes great, but then Mr. Agar says that if the botanical garden stays, he will give the students less homework, Skye quits on Carl AND the protests are getting ugly. Will Carl get his skatepark back? Meanwhile, Jamie and C2 desperately try to get Wheels Wallis to sponsor and help with the protest, even if it means doing the deadliest skateboarding move in history.|
|31||5||"Gone to the Dogs"||Edward Kay||January 21, 2007|
|Jamie bets that Carl can't function two days without C2. To make this bet interesting, if Jamie wins, he gets Carl's skateboard for a month. If Carl wins, he gets Jamie's camcorder to fool around with for 30 days. It's not easy: Carl has to help out Skye at the dog shelter AND he has a biology test the next day. Meanwhile, Chloe tries out her new hexing spell book, and C2 unleashes his inner dog, with the help of Rex and the pup's friends, during his few days off.|
|32||6||"Pride Goeth Before a Wipeout"||Ben Joseph||January 28, 2007|
|C2 beats Carl at virtual snowboarding repeatedly, and eventually also gets the high score, beating out Ron Bronson! Ron later challenges Carl to a virtual snowboarding showdown, so Carl uses his ultimate weapon: C2. But because of Chloe's obsession to get rid of pure white snow, the game busts, leaving C2 with a broken ankle and an excuse for Carl to be respected to the full extent at school. However, his fans discover that his ankle isn't really broken, and when Ron Bronson finds out, he challenges Carl to a REAL snowboarding showdown. Who will win? Meanwhile, Chloe and Damien attempt to get rid of all the white snow, hoping that the rest of winter will be dark and desolate.|
|33||7||"Lights, Camera, Carl"||Denis McGrath||February 4, 2007|
|Carl was chosen by Jamie to be part of his zombie movie, but his reactions quickly change when Jamie casts Lorna as Carl's lover. But thankfully, C2 can save Carl...or so Carl thinks. C2 is no match for Carl in terms of acting skills, so Carl now has to choose between kissing Lorna, or giving up on the film and letting down his best friend.|
|34||8||"Clone Scene Investigation"||Doug Hadders & Adam Rotstein||February 11, 2007|
|Mr. Agar puts Carl on the school spring dance decorating committee as a punishment for slacking in class. Since Skye is busy lying down in front of bulldozers to protect a nest of burrowing owls, Carl brings in C2 to help with the decorations, so both of them are at school. The mess starts to happen when Chloe and Damien are also put on the committee as punishment. The day even gets strange for Lorna, as she keeps seeing two Carls! Her suspicion of Carl having a clone is further backed-up when she finds his blog! With the help of Jamie, Carl will have to play it smart to get out of this. Meanwhile, Chloe and Damien turns the "Spring has Sprung" dance decorations into destruction and chaos, much to Chloe's satisfaction.|
|35||9||"Carl's Techno-Jinx"||Bob Ardiel||February 18, 2007|
|Carl is banned from the library (by a haunting librarian) for a massively overdue book about puberty. Fortunately for Carl, he has his trusty Internet to finish up a geography assignment due the next day -- not. Carl's computer was busted and when he tried to borrow Chloe and Dr. Mom's computer, both didn't work. The fearful C2 believes that all these grievances is due to the "Crashman Curse" and the librarian. With advice from Chloe, he decides to make a sacrifice in order to be relieved of the curse, Carl's computer.|
|36||10||"MOM'S DA BOMB!"||Bob Ardiel||May 2, 2007|
Carl forgets it's mother's day. C2 had written a story in the newspaper (accidentally putting in C2's name), and wins. He wins the prize of going with his mother to a mother and son spa.Note: Mother's Day special
|37||11||"Clone Encounters"||Bob Ardiel||March 25, 2007|
|C2 gets a feeling he is being watch by something out of this world!|
|38||12||"Spotlight on Carl (Teen Superstar Part 1)"||Erika Strobel||March 11, 2007|
|C2 signs Carl up in the " Teen Superstar " contest and Carl must take the stage after hearing C2's horrible singing.|
|39||13||"The Fame Game (Teen Superstar Part 2)"||Erika Strobel||March 18, 2007|
|Carl finds that being famous is harder than it looks.|
- "Teletoon unveils fall programming highlights" (Press release). Teletoon Canada. Channel Canada. July 8, 2005. Archived from the original on October 21, 2013.
- "Television Program Logs". Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. 2016-03-02. Archived from the original on 2016-05-16.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-02-26. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "TV Listings Guide and TV Schedule, Where to Watch TV Shows - Zap2it". Tvschedule.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- "Teletoon February Highlights" (Press release). Toronto: Teletoon. Toon Zone. December 23, 2005. Archived from the original on September 17, 2015.