Canberra Railway Museum
Geijera Pl Kingston ACT 2604Canberra
|Coordinates||35°19′02″S 149°09′15″E / 35.317294°S 149.154058°E|
|Nearest car park||On site|
Canberra Railway Museum was run by the ACT division of the Australian Railway Historical Society (ARHS). The museum housed displays of historic locomotives, passenger cars, freight vehicles, track machinery and railway memorabilia. The museum precinct also served as a base for the society's rail operations. The Society preserved railway history, particularly that of Canberra and the southern districts of New South Wales, for the enjoyment and enlightenment of present and future generations. Members worked toward this goal by: collecting and restoring locomotives, other rolling stock and items of railway memorabilia; preserving and recording railway history; and operating trains with restored rolling stock.
The Canberra Railway Museum was the home to Australia's oldest operating steam locomotive, and one of the world's oldest 'mainline' steam locomotives built in 1878, and also the heaviest, the 265 tonnes Beyer-Garratt steam locomotive.
Trips and tours
The ARHS ACT division ran frequent tours year-round, including trips on the Bungendore branch and many themed trains such as a Santa's Train, a Tulip time express and school holiday rail discovery events.
|1210||4-4-0 passenger||Beyer, Peacock and Company||1878||Canberra|
|1307||4-4-2T passenger||Beyer, Peacock and Company||1902||Yass Railway Station Museum||static exhibit||NSW Locomotive, Steam 1307|
|2413||2-6-0 goods||Dübs and Company||1891||Junee Locomotive Depot||stored|
|3013||4-6-4T passenger||Beyer, Peacock and Company||1903||Canberra||stored||3013 Blog Page|
|3016||4-6-0 mixed traffic||Beyer, Peacock and Company||1903||Thirlmere||operational||3016 Blog Page|
|3102||4-6-0 mixed traffic||Beyer, Peacock and Company||1912||Canberra||stored||3102 Blog Page|
|6029||4-8-4+4-8-4 goods||Beyer, Peacock and Company||1953||Thirlmere||operational||Project 6029 Blog|
|530||0-6-0ST||Vulcan Foundry||1877||Yass||static exhibit|
4807, diesel-electric, 1050 hp Co-Co engine, built 1959, was one of 165 units which made up the NSW Railways 48 class which began service late in 1959, replacing steam locomotives, particularly on country branch lines.
D25, diesel-electric, 400 hp Bo-Bo, built 1958, formerly owned by Australian Iron and Steel, is the yard shunter at the Society's Canberra Railway Museum and workshop at Kingston.
X 203, diesel, 260 hp Bo, built 1964, former NSWGR light engine now part of the Yass Railway Museum exhibits.
The Society also has three CPH railmotor units at Canberra Railway Museum (CPH 13, CPH 27 and CPH 37), and one other (CPH 2) on loan to another organisation. CPH 13 is destined to be transferred to the Oberon Tarana Heritage Railway.
Carriages include end platform cars, sleeping cars and special purpose passenger vehicles.
- 3016 in Canberra
- 1210 and 4807 hauling a tour train
- "ACT ARHS". Canberra Railway Museum. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- "Railway Museum runs out of steam - Canberra CityNews". Canberra CityNews. 2016-11-17. Retrieved 2016-11-18.
- "Rolling stock register" (PDF). Australian rail track corporation. 2011. Retrieved The 6th of December 2015. Check date values in: