|Broadcast area||Guelph, Ontario|
|Slogan||Today's best mix|
|First air date||1 July 1969|
|Format||hot adult contemporary|
|HAAT||120.5 meters (395 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||C I MaJic|
Corus Entertainment |
(591589 B.C. Ltd.)
- 16 May 1968: CRTC approves an application by CJOY Ltd. to operate a new FM station in Guelph. The initial studio and office address is 50 Wyndham Street.
- 1 July 1969: CJOY-FM begins its first broadcasts. It is authorised for 106.1 MHz frequency, 50 000 watts effective radiated power and 75.9 metres (249 ft) antenna height.
- 26 July 1972: CJOY-FM and its associated AM station (CJOY-AM) are authorised to relocate their common offices and studios to 75 Speedvale Avenue East and have remained there since.
- 1975: CJOY-FM calls sign changes to CKLA-FM
- 1977: CJOY Ltd. assumes at least partial ownership of AM station CFTJ in Cambridge.
- 1980: CRTC approves relocation of both the CJOY AM and FM transmitters.
- 28 April 1987: Kawartha Broadcasting Co. Ltd. purchases CJOY Ltd. (CKLA-FM and CJOY-AM), including the associated Galt Broadcasting company which operates the Cambridge station formerly known as CFTJ (whose call sign became CIAM in 1987).
- 1989: CKLA-FM's owners now known as Power Broadcasting.
- 10 July 1992: The station's call letters are now CIMJ-FM, but begins to identify itself as “Magic 106.1 – Today’s Favorites”. The station format changes from easy listening to adult contemporary, featuring music from the 1970s to the 1990s.
- 29 August 1996: CRTC renews CIMJ-FM licence until 2003
- 2 June 1995: Station co-founder Wally Slatter dies.
- February 1996: Station co-founder Fred Metcalf dies.
- 24 March 2000: CRTC approves sale of Power Broadcasting radio stations to Corus Radio, including CJOY-AM and CIMJ-FM
- 13 April 2000: Corus purchase of Power Broadcasting radio properties is completed.
- July 2003: The station shifted to its present Hot Adult Contemporary format after CIZN dropped its format and changed frequencies.
- September 2007: Major studio renovations begin.
- August 2008: Studios are completed and are on an AES 44.1 digital network. Digital audio is stored and played back uncompressed.
- Magic 106.1
- CIMJ-FM history - Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CIMJ-FM