|Broadcast area||Edmonton Capital Region|
|Slogan||Edmonton's breaking news, traffic, weather and sports radio station|
|Frequency||630 kHz (AM)|
|First air date||March 3, 1954|
|Audience share||10.0 (February 25, 2013 -May 26, 2013 , )|
|Transmitter coordinates||53°23′55″N 113°23′55″W / 53.39861°N 113.39861°WCoordinates: 53°29′26″N 113°26′55″W / 53.49056°N 113.44861°W|
|Callsign meaning||C H EDmonton|
|Former frequencies||1080 kHz (1954-1963)|
Corus Entertainment |
(Corus Premium Television Ltd.)
Radio: CHQT, CISN-FM, CKNG-FM|
CHED (630 AM) is a radio station broadcasting News/Talk/Sports format. Licensed to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, it first began broadcasting in 1954. The station is currently owned by Corus Entertainment. CHED's studios are located on 84th Street in Edmonton, while its transmitters are located in Southeast Edmonton.
The station first signed on to 1080 kHz at 8:00 p.m. on March 3, 1954, from studios on the corner of 107 Street and 100 Avenue in Downtown Edmonton. On May 14, 1963, at 6:30 a.m., CHED switched to its current frequency of 630 kHz.
For a significant portion of its history, CHED was Edmonton's (and North America's) most successful Top 40 station having a staggering 40% share of the local listening audience, but with the arrival of FM radio, it lost its listenership and moved to an all-talk format. Other news personalities on the network include Bob Layton, Bryan Hall and formerly Ed Mason.
Edmonton Oilers coverage
- Edmonton Oilers coverage with Jack Michaels as play-by-play man, Bob Stauffer as colour analyst and Rob Brown as in-game analyst.
Notable Broadcasters Associated With CHED History
- Bryan Fustukian, broadcasting as Vic Armen
- Edmonton Journal, March 2, 1954, "Announcing the Opening of Radio 1080 CHED Edmonton", page 7
- Edmonton Journal, May 13, 1963, "CHED Changes To 630 On Dial", Page 10
- BBM Canada PPM Top-line Radio Data - Edmonton CMA (September 28, 2009 - December 27, 2009)
- /hosts & Shows
- AM 630 CHED
- CHED history - Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the FCC's AM station database for CHED
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CHED