|Location||306 W. Church St., Champaign, Illinois|
|Coordinates||40°7′7″N 88°14′50″W / 40.11861°N 88.24722°WCoordinates: 40°7′7″N 88°14′50″W / 40.11861°N 88.24722°W|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architect||Schweinfurth, Julius A.|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||78001115|
|Added to NRHP||June 7, 1978|
The Burnham Athenaeum, also known as the Champaign Public Library, is a historic library building located at 306 W. Church St. in Champaign, Illinois. Built in 1896 through a donation from Albert C. Burnham, the building was Champaign's first permanent library. Architect Julius A. Schweinfurth designed the Classical Revival building. The two-story building is built from cream-colored brick with terra cotta ornamentation. The front entrance features four two-story Ionic columns supporting a pediment and an inscribed frieze. A terra cotta band encircles the building below the second-story window sill line. The Champaign Public Library occupied the building until 1978, when it moved to a larger facility.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 7, 1978.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Winay, Nora; Selin, Paul; Olsen, Gary; Olsen, Michele; Wajenberg, Joyce; Dankert, Russell (January 17, 1978). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form: Burnham Athenaeum" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved August 17, 2014.