|Film distributor, production company|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: BONA|
|Yu Dong (founder and CEO), Xu Liang (CFO)|
Beijing Polybona Film Distribution Co. Ltd. (simplified Chinese: 保利博纳电影发行有限公司; traditional Chinese: 保利博納電影發行公司), known simply as, Polybona Films and Bona Film Group, is a Chinese production company, involved in the production, co-production and distribution of films from China and Hong Kong. It is run as a subsidiary company of the China Poly Group Corporation and is one of China’s largest share-holding film distribution companies.
It was nicknamed “the Chinese Miramax” by Screen International in 2005, and its CEO, Yu Dong, was selected as one of “the future’s most influential filmmakers” by The Hollywood Reporter in November 2006.
Founded in 1999, Polybona was the first domestic private firm to receive a film distribution license from the SARFT. In November 2003, it merged with the China Poly Group, a wealthy business conglomerate wing of the Chinese military, the People's Liberation Army, to form PolyBona Film Distribution.
The company has distributed over 120 domestic and foreign films, including Confession of Pain, Protégé, The Myth, Initial D, and Dragon Tiger Gate, generating over RMB 1 billion (approximately US$130 million) in box office revenue, capturing over 20% of the overall market share for five years running.
|Year||Title||Director||Co-production company(s)||Distributor(s)||Box office||Ref.|
|2014||From Vegas to Macau||Wong Jing||$95,900,000 (China and international)|
|2014||The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom||Jacob Cheung||$64,200,000 (China and international)|
|2014||The Taking of Tiger Mountain||Tsui Hark||$141,248,984 (China and United States)|
|2015||From Vegas to Macau II||Wong Jing||$156,850,000 (China)|
|2015||Sword Master||Derek Yee|
|2015||Bride Wars||Tony Chan|
|2015||Secret Treasure||Ronald Cheng, Gordon Chan|
|2016||Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk||Lee, AngAng Lee|
|TBA||The Phantom of Shanghai|
- Polybona Films - About Us
- "China Film Industry Report 2014-2015 (In Brief)" (PDF). english.entgroup.cn. EntGroup Inc. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- Variety (Asia) Magazine
- Xu Fan (China Daily) (June 18, 2015). "Internet Giants Move From Behind the Camera to Front". english.entgroup.cn. EntGroup Inc. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- Patrick Frater (April 9, 2015). "Chinese Media Stocks Stage Major Rally in U.S. and Asian Markets". variety.com. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- Kevin Ma (May 11, 2015). "Bona reports record results for 2015Q1". Film Business Asia. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Patrick Frater (November 4, 2015). "China's Bona Film Invests $235 Million in Fox Movie Slate". variety.com. Retrieved November 7, 2015.
- Nancy Tartaglione and David Bloom (January 10, 2015). "'Transformers 4′ Tops 2014's 100 Highest-Grossing International Films – Chart". deadline.com. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- "THE TAKING OF TIGER MOUNTAIN". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Clifford Coonan (May 7, 2015). "China's Bona Film Group Racks Up Record First-Quarter Earnings". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Kevin Ma (June 19, 2015). "Bona announces giant slate in Shanghai". Film Business Asia. Retrieved June 19, 2015.