Army Times cover 24 January 2014
|Owner(s)||Sightline Media Group|
|Headquarters||6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, Virginia, 22159, U.S.|
|Circulation||92,801 (June 2013)|
Army Times (ISSN 0004–2595) is a weekly newspaper serving active, reserve, national guard and retired United States Army personnel and their families, providing news, information and analysis as well as community and lifestyle features, educational supplements, and resource guides.
Army Times is published by Sightline Media Group which was formerly called the Gannett Government Media Corporation, and was once a part of Gannett Company (NYSE:GCI) and TEGNA. Gannett Government Media Corporation, formerly known as Army Times Publishing Company, was purchased by Gannett in 1997 from the Times Journal Company. Tegna sold the business to Los Angeles-based Regent Companies in March 2016.
Military Times newspapers are the most purchased publications in Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) shops and defense commissaries, beating such national bestsellers as People and Time.
Army Times founder Mel Ryder, began his newspaper career on the staff of Stars and Stripes selling and delivering papers to the troops on the front lines during World War I. In 1921 he joined Willard Kiplinger in forming the newsletter service, the Kiplinger Agency. He sold his interest in the agency in 1933 and began publishing Happy Days, a paper written for members of the Civilian Conservation Corps. His first order was for 400 copies and the first advertiser was GEICO. Next, Ryder started the publication of Army Times. The first issue was published in 1940 and the company was incorporated the same year.
In 2006, the publication published an editorial calling for the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld.
- Tom Foyer
- Kathleen Curthoys, News Editor
- Antonieta Rico, Deputy News Editor
- Sean Naylor, Senior Writer
- Jim Tice, Senior Writer
- Lance Bacon, Senior Writer
- Michelle Tan, San Antonio Bureau Chief
- Joe Gould, Staff Writer (11/2009 – current)
- Gina Cavallaro, Staff Writer (6/2002 – 4/2010), Deputy News Editor (2/2001 – 6/2002), moved to Marine Corps Times
Military Times Service Member of the Year
Each year Military Times honors an "Everyday Hero". Someone with whom you are proud to serve. Someone whose dedication, professionalism and concern for fellow service members and community set a standard for all of us. There is a Marine of the year, Soldier of the year, Sailor of the year, Airman of the year and Coast Guardsman of the year. Each service member is nominated by their peers for Military Times selection. The winners are honored at a formal ceremony on Capitol Hill, in Washington, D.C.
- "Alliance for Audited Media Snapshot Report - 6/30/2013". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- GANNETT CO INC /DE/ - GCI Annual Report (10-K) REPORT OF INDEPENDENT ACCOUNTANTS Archived 1 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Army Times web site
- "Time For Rumsfeld To Go" interview on NPR
- Military Times Service Member of the Year web site