|Supporters of the Levant Brigade|
Ansar al-Sham |
Participant in the Syrian civil war
Ansar al-Sham Logo
Abu Omar al-Jamil|
Abu Musa al-Shishani
|Headquarters||Jabal al Akrad, Latakia|
|Area of operations||
|Strength||2,500 (March 2014)|
|Battles and wars|
Founded in September 2012 by a Latakian veteran of the Afghan Jihad known as Abu Omar, Ansar al-Sham brings together a wide range of mostly Syrian fighters in North Latakia Governorate on a general Islamist platform. The groups military leader is a Chechen known as Abu Musa al-Shishani, and it maintains good relations with a wide variety of other opposition groups in the area, from the Free Syria Army to Al-Nusra Front. In December 2012, Ansar al-Sham joined with other insurgent groups to found the Syrian Islamic Front umbrella organisation, in November 2013 the SIF was dissolved and Liwa al-Haqq, Ansar al-Sham and Ahrar ash-Sham joined the broader Islamic Front alliance.
It played a lead role in the 2014 Latakia offensive against the Syrian Government.
- Sinjab, Lina (17 October 2013). "Syria crisis: Guide to armed and political opposition". BBC. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Rebels Reopen the Latakia Front". Institute for the Study of War. 10 April 2014. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "A Power Move by Syria's Rebel Forces". Institute for the Study of War. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "The Ansar al-Sham Battalions". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Aaron Y. Zelin (4 February 2013). "The Syrian Islamic Front: A New Extremist Force". The Washington Institute for Near East Policy. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "The Dawn of Freedom Brigades: Analysis and Interview". 2 October 2014.
- Lund, Aron. "Islamist Mergers in Syria: Ahrar al-Sham Swallows Suqour al-Sham".
- "Ivan Sidorenko on Twitter".
- "معركة رد المظالم (@Rd_Almzalm) - Twitter".
- Adra, Zen (18 April 2016). "Field report: Islamist rebels attack Syrian Army in Hama. Map Update".
- "Freedom, Human Rights, Rule of Law: The Goals and Guiding Principles of the Islamic Front and Its Allies". Democratic Revolution, Syrian Style. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Regime Regains Ground on the Coast". Institute for the Study of War. 22 August 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Syrie: combats féroces autour d'un point de passage avec la Turquie". AFP. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "The Syrian Islamic Front: A New Extremist Force". Washington Institute for Near East Policy. 19 May 2014.