All Together Now
|"All Together Now"|
Cover of the 1972 German single
|Song by the Beatles from the album Yellow Submarine|
13 January 1969 (US)|
17 January 1969 (UK)
12 May 1967,|
EMI Studios, London
"All Together Now" is a song by the Beatles written primarily by Paul McCartney and credited to Lennon–McCartney. The song was recorded during the band's Magical Mystery Tour period, but remained unreleased until it was included on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack. It was released as a single in 1972 in European countries such as France and Germany, backed by "Hey Bulldog".
McCartney described the song as a children's sing-along with the title phrase inspired by the music hall tradition of asking the audience to join in. He also described a "subcurrent" in the song, a dual-meaning where "we are all together now." According to music critic Tom Maginnis of AllMusic, McCartney created the song "to match the same light-hearted spirit" of "Yellow Submarine".
"All Together Now" appears in an animated sequence in the film Yellow Submarine, and is also introduced by the Beatles themselves in a final live-action scene of the film. During the latter scene, translations of "All Together Now" into various languages appear written on-screen.
The track was recorded on 12 May 1967 at Abbey Road Studios and mixed the same day, but was not released until 13 January 1969, when it appeared on the soundtrack album. George Martin was absent from this session, leaving recording engineer Geoff Emerick in charge of the control room. The song took less than six hours to record and was recorded in nine takes, the last of which was selected for overdubs
- Paul McCartney – lead vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, handclaps, percussion
- John Lennon – double-tracked lead vocals (middle eight), backing vocals, ukulele, harmonica, handclaps
- George Harrison – backing vocals, acoustic guitar, handclaps
- Ringo Starr – backing vocals, drums, zill, handclaps
- Personnel according to Ian MacDonald
Mark Lewisohn reported that the "party-style" backing vocals were provided by "whoever happened to be around".
Paul McCartney performed the song live for the first time by any Beatle on 4 May 2013 at the Estádio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte, Brazil. He subsequently played it throughout his 2013–15 Out There tour.
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||16|
"All Together Now" has been covered by various artists. Versions intended for children have been released by the Sugarbeats, the Bingo Kids and others.
A German group, Joy Unlimited, did a heavy funk-rock version that music critic Richie Unterberger of AllMusic described as "an oddball obscure Beatles' cover".
The Muppets covered the song as the final track for their 1994 album Kermit Unpigged.
Andre 3000 of the duo OutKast covered the song for a Nike commercial that ran during the 2010 NBA Finals.
Kenny Loggins covered it on his 2009 album All Join In.
In 2011, Sprint began using versions of the song to promote its wireless services in the US. Portuguese mobile phone company Optimus used it the same year as part of a new advertising campaign.
Tally Hall performed a cover of this in conjunction with Casey Shea and Speak as a planned encore at the 7th Street Entry stop on their Good & Evil tour.
Glove & Boots made a video of the song, with the puppet Mario coming up with his own lyrics while Fa-Fa and the rest sing a reasonably faithful version of the song.
Kohl's used a version of the song in their Christmas 2015 television commercials.
- All Together Now, a feature-length documentary about the Cirque du Soleil project Love.
- 1 2 3 Miles 1997, p. 481.
- ↑ Sheff 2000, p. 201.
- 1 2 3 MacDonald 2005, p. 259.
- ↑ Maginnis 2009.
- 1 2 3 Lewisohn 1988, p. 112.
- ↑ "Dutchcharts.nl – The Beatles – All Together Now" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- ↑ Phares 2009a.
- ↑ Allmusic 2009a.
- ↑ Phares 2009b.
- ↑ Allmusic 2009b.
- "Overview of The Bingo Kids Sing Beatles Hits for Kids, Vol. 2". AllMusic. 2009a. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- "Overview of Drew's Famous Pick Your Own Halloween Hits". AllMusic. 2009b. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Beatles Recording Sessions. New York: Harmony Books. ISBN 0-517-57066-1.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.
- Maginnis, Tom (2009). "Review of "All Together Now"". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- Phares, Heather (2009a). "Review of 21 Cool Songs". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- Phares, Heather (2009b). "Review of All You Need Is Love: Beatles Songs for Kids". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- Sheff, David (2000). All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-25464-4.
- Unterberger, Richie (2009). "Review of Joy Unlimited". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- All Together Now on I Am The Beatles
- All Together Now on The Beatles Bible