All Saints Church, Canberra
|All Saints Church|
|Diocese||Canberra and Goulburn|
|Rector||Revd Lynda McMinn|
- "The stonework of this church was originally used to build the first mortuary station on the branch railway to the necropolis rookwood near Sydney. This plaque was presented by the Australian Railway Historical Society to commemorate the old station which was in use from 1868 to 1948."
The railway line went underneath the main arch in the building, where the aisle is in the present church. The side aisles are where the platforms for the station were located. Coffins would be taken out on the railway line to the cemetery for burial.
The roof of the building burned down in a fire. The Ainslie parish bought the stonework for 100 pounds, and the stonework was transported to Canberra in 1957 where the current roof was built and work done to turn it into the present church. In the process the bell tower was moved from the left side of the entrance to the right.
The church bell was originally on a shay locomotive owned by the Commonwealth Oil Corporation that ran on the former Wolgan Valley Railway in the Blue Mountains, before being dismantled in 1925. The bell was presented to the church by the Australian Railway Historical Society in 1958.
A stone on the church was set by the High Commissioner for the United Kingdom, Lord Carrington, to mark the blessing of the church on 1 June 1958.
The church contains a rare 1857 Bishop and Starr pipe organ installed in 1989–90 after being transferred from Wealdstone Baptist Church in Harrow, England.
All Saints maintains a traditional choir, with a weekly sung Solemn Eucharist, and monthly evensong from April–September.
At the east end of the church is a garden and columbarium. The church has several stained glass windows, and gargoyle sculptures on the outside of the building. On the inside stonework are two carved angels. It has two side chapels located on opposite sides of the chancel, one dedicated to Our Lady, and the other after Gethsemane.
- State Rail Authority of New South Wales Archives Section, How & Why of Station Names: meanings and origins..., Second Edition, 1982, State Rail Authority of New South Wales, inside back cover