National Academy of Engineering, 2016|
SIGCOMM Award, 2015
Koji Kobayashi Award, 2015
ACM Test of Time Award, 2015
ACM Sigmetrics Test of Time Award, 2013
|Children||Joanna, Alice, Molly, Emma Greenberg|
Albert Greenberg is an American software engineer and computer scientist who is notable for his contributions to the design of operating carrier and datacenter networks as well as to advances in computer networking and cloud computing. At Microsoft, he is a Distinguished Engineer and the director of development for its Microsoft Azure service, which is a cloud computing infrastructure platform which coordinates data centers around the world. In contrast to hard-wired computer networks, firms such as Microsoft are turning increasingly to software-defined networking (or SDN) approaches to run its cloud computing networks by managing virtual networks across "millions of servers". He oversees development of technologies that keep the network running in the cloud, so that when component failures happen, software systems pinpoint the failures and "route around the faulty components;" the technology permits data centers to be "software-defined", allowing the cloud to grow rapidly while being flexible to meet changing needs, as he explained in 2015 in eWeek magazine. His research focuses on the infrastructure of cloud services, management of enterprise networks, data center networks, and systems monitoring. Greenberg has won numerous awards for his contributions: he is an ACM Fellow, received the Koji Kobayashi Computers and Communications Award in 2015 for his "fundamental contributions to large-scale backbone networks and data-center networks," and won the prestigious SIGCOMM Award in 2015 for "pioneering the theory and practice of operating carrier and datacenter networks." In addition, he publishes in numerous scholarly journals on topics such as networking and cloud computing. He began his career at AT&T Labs and became division manager for network measurement engineering and research, was promoted to executive director and an AT&T Fellow, and was hired by Microsoft in 2007 as a principal researcher. In 2016, he was inducted into the United States National Academy of Engineering for "contributions to the theory and practice of operating large carrier and data center networks."
- 1 2 Randy Atkins, February 8, 2016, National Academy of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering Elects 80 Members and 22 Foreign Members, Retrieved February 8, 2016, "...distinguished engineer and director, Azure Networking, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, Wash. For contributions to the theory and practice of operating large carrier and data center networks..."
- 1 2 3 4 Daniel Robinson (21 August 2015). "Microsoft uses custom NICs to drive Azure cloud services". V3 (UK Tech news source). Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...Greenberg was speaking to V3 after receiving the 2015 ACM SIGCOMM Award from the Association of Computing Machinery Special Interest Group on Data Communication for his contributions to the networking industry.....
- 1 2 "4th International IEEE Conference". IEEE. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...Albert Greenberg ... leads design and development of cloud networking services and technologies at Microsoft Azure for logical and physical data center networking. Albert joined Microsoft Research in 2007... after many years at Bell Labs and AT&T Labs Research... Executive Director and AT&T Fellow, ... an ACM Fellow and is the recipient of the 2015 IEEE Koji Kobayashi Computers and Communications Award....
- 1 2 IEEE staff (2015). "KOJI KOBAYASHI COMPUTERS AND COMMUNICATIONS AWARD" (PDF). IEEE. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...2015 - ALBERT GREENBERG ... Director of Development Azure Networking, Microsoft, Redmond, Washington, USA, “For fundamental contributions to large-scale backbone networks and data-center networks.”...
- ↑ 2015, IEEE, IEEE-LEVEL AWARDS, Retrieved August 24, 2015, "...The IEEE Koji Kobayashi Computers and Communications Award ... established in 1986 ... outstanding contributions to the integration of computers and communications ... sponsored by NEC Corporation...."
- 1 2 3 4 5 Conference listing (7 December 2010). "What Is the Next Generation Internet Forum?". IEEE Globecom 2010. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...Dr. Albert Greenberg (ACM Fellow) Principal Researcher, Microsoft... Principal Researcher at Microsoft... works on data center networks, cloud service infrastructure, enterprise network management, and monitoring. ... joined Microsoft in 2007, after many years at Bell Labs and AT&T Labs Research... an Executive Director and AT&T Fellow, and where he helped build the systems and tools for engineering and managing AT&T's networks. Albert is an ACM Fellow....
- ↑ 2015, SIGCOMM Awards, ACM, SIGCOMM Award Recipients: The annual SIGCOMM Award, presented at the SIGCOMM Technical Conference, recognizes lifetime contribution to the field of communication networks., Retrieved August 22, 2015
- ↑ Art Fewell (October 19, 2011). "Open Networking Summit Day 2: Cisco says "We see SDN as the next evolution of networking"". Network World. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...Albert Greenberg, Microsoft: Manage the data center as we do the servers...
- ↑ Jack Clark (8 November 2013). "Microsoft reveals secrets of Azure cloud's networking underbelly: 'In the last three years everything changed'". The Register. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...The company's partner development manager for Windows Azure networking, Albert Greenberg, gave details on the approach ...
- ↑ DAMON POETER (September 24, 2014). "Broadcom Launches Powerful New Ethernet Switches". PC Magazine. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...said Albert Greenberg of Microsoft's Azure Networking group....
- ↑ Craig Matsumoto (June 17, 2015). "Microsoft Azure Gives SDN a Hardware Assist". SDX Central (NEWS AND RESOURCE SITE FOR SDX, SDN, NFV, CLOUD & VIRTUALIZATION INFRASTRUCTURE). Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...some of them refreshers on the architecture described by Microsoft Partner Development Manager Albert Greenberg at ONS last year....
- ↑ Mitch Wagner (March 7, 2014). "Google, Microsoft Challenge Service Providers". Light Reading: Networking the Communications Industry. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...SDN is part of its Windows Azure platform, said Albert Greenberg, development director for the Windows Azure networking at Microsoft. SDN helps provide Microsoft's cloud offering with agility... allows Microsoft to scale virtual networks across millions of servers...
- ↑ Shamus McGillicuddy (13 March 2014). "Q&A: How Microsoft SDN and network virtualization affects you". Tech Target. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...Microsoft's Albert Greenberg described some SDN innovations that Microsoft does with the control plane and data plane in its Azure data centers. ...
- ↑ Pedro Hernandez (August 20, 2015). "At Microsoft, Software-Defined Networking Takes Cloudy Turn". eWeek. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...the company's software-defined data center vision....software-defined data centers...wrote Albert Greenberg, a distinguished engineer in Microsoft's Networking Development unit... At cloud scale, component failures will happen... Our systems detect, pinpoint, isolate and route around the faulty components," Greenberg said....
- ↑ Ezendu Ariwa (February 28, 2014). "Green Technology Applications for Enterprise and Academic Innovation". IGI Global. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...According to Albert Greenberg et. al...
- ↑ Carolyn Duffy Marsan (October 13, 2003). "AT&T touts tool to map IP traffic". Network world. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
...Albert Greenberg, division manager for network measurement engineering and research at AT&T Labs...