724th Special Tactics Group
|724th Special Tactics Group|
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Special Operations Forces|
|Part of||24th Special Operations Wing|
War in Afghanistan|
The 724th Special Tactics Group is one of the special operations ground components of the 24th Special Operations Wing, assigned to Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC). The Group is headquartered at Pope Field, North Carolina. The Group is composed of four squadrons, also located on Pope Field.
The Group's Special Tactics Squadron is made up of Special Tactics Officers, Combat Controllers, Combat Rescue Officers, Pararescuemen, Special Operations Weather Technicians, Air Liaison Officers, Tactical Air Control Party operators, and a number of combat support airmen which comprise 58 Air Force specialties.
Special Tactics Squadrons are organized, trained and equipped specifically for various special operations missions facilitating air operations on the battlefield. They conduct combat search and rescue missions, collect intelligence, as well as call in close air support or airstrikes against enemy combatants and are often parterned with other U.S. special operations forces overseas.
- 24th Special Tactics Squadron, Pope Field, North Carolina 29 April 2011 - Present
- 724th Operations Support Squadron, Pope Field, North Carolina 29 April 2011 - Present
- 724th Intelligence Squadron, Pope Field, North Carolina 29 April 2011 - Present
- 724th Special Tactics Support Squadron, Pope Field, North Carolina 29 April 2011 - Present
- Established as the 724 Training Group on 22 January 1943 and activated on 28 February 1943. Disbanded on 30 April 1944.
- Reestablished, and redesignated as, 724th Special Tactics Group on 1 March 2011 and activated on 29 April 2011.
- Army Air Forces Technical Training Command, 28 Feb 1943 - 25 September 1943
- 76 Training Wing, 25 September 1943 - 30 April 1944 (76th Flying Training Wing (World War II)?)
- Air Force Special Operations Command, 29 April 2011 - Present
- Army Air Force Training Center #7, Atlantic City, New Jersey, 28 February 1943 - 16 June 1943
- Seymour-Johnson Field, North Carolina, 16 June 1943 - 30 April 1944
- Pope Air Force Base (later Pope Field), North Carolina 29 April 2011 - Present
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 724th Special Tactics Group.|
- "Factsheet: 24th Special Operations Wing". 24th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs Office. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Robertson, Patsy (22 August 2011). "724 Special Tactics Group (AFSOC)". Air Force Historical Research Agency. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Colonel Matthew Wolfe Davidson". 24th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs Office. September 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Colonel Michael E. Martin". 24th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs Office. September 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.