31 Canadian Brigade Group
|31st (Reserve) Brigade Group|
31 Canadian Brigade Group
Formation patch of the 31st Canadian Brigade Group.
|Part of||4th Canadian Division|
|Motto(s)||Latin: Pro aris et focis (For hearth and home)|
31 Canadian Brigade Group (31CBG; French: 31e Groupe-brigade du Canada) is part of the 4th Canadian Division, under the Canadian Army. It encompasses the southwestern portion of Ontario, and is headquartered in London, Ontario. The 31 CBG area of responsibility stretches from Hamilton to Windsor. The brigade has approximately 2,000 soldiers. Colonel Kevin Bertoia, CD is Commander of 31 Canadian Brigade Group. The brigade sergeant-major is Chief Warrant Officer Wilkins, CD.
Second World War
31st (Reserve) Brigade Group was created, within 1 Militia District, on 1 April 1942 when the reserve force in Canada was reorganized for the war. Like today, the formation consistend of part-time soldiers who paraded and trained on evenings and weekends. The brigade group was closed down on 28 November 1945 and the headquarters itself closed on 8 June 1946. During its existence, the brigade group was headquartered in London Ontario and it held the following organization:
- Canadian Infantry Corps
- 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The Middlesex and Huron Regiment
- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) MG
- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Essex Scottish Regiment
- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Scots Fusiliers of Canada
- Canadian Armoured Corps
- 30th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Regiment (Essex Regiment (Tank))
- Royal Canadian Artillery
- 31st (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA
- Royal Canadian Engineers
- 7th/11th (Reserve) Field Company, RCE
- Royal Canadian Army Service Corps
- Brigade Group Company, 1st (Reserve) Divisional, RCASC
- Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps
- 24th (Reserve) Field Ambulance, RCAMC
- Royal Canadian Corps of Signals
- E and J sections, No.1 (Reserve) District Signals, RCCS
- Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps / Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
- No.2 Group,
- No.2 (Reserve) Divisional Workshop, (RCOC) RCEME
- No.1 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type A), (RCOC) RCEME
- No.2 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), (RCOC) RCEME
- No.3 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), (RCOC) RCEME
- No.4 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), (RCOC) RCEME
1997 to Present
31 Canadian Brigade Group (CBG) was recreated on 1 April 1997, with its headquarters located in London, replacing the London Militia District (LMD). Resulting from a major restructuring of the army, it was established as one of ten reserve brigade groups organized across Canada.
- "31 Canadian Brigade Group". Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges. Canadian Heraldic Authority. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Reserve Brigades - Second World War". Canadian Soldiers.com. 24 February 2013.